Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life,…

Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church (edition 2017)

by Keith Getty (Author)

Sing! has grown from Keith and Kristyn Getty's passion for congregational singing; it's been formed by their traveling and playing and listening and discussing and learning and teaching all over the world.  And in writing it, they have five key aims:  * to discover why we sing and the overwhelming joy and holy privilege that comes with singing * to consider how singing impacts our hearts and minds and all of our lives * to cultivate a culture of family singing in our daily home life * to equip our churches for wholeheartedly singing to the Lord and one another as an expression of unity * to inspire us to see congregational singing as a radical witness to the world They have also added a few "bonus tracks" at the end with some more practical suggestions for different groups who are more deeply involved with church singing. God intends for this compelling vision of His people singing--a people joyfully joining together in song with brothers and sisters around the world and around his heavenly throne--to include you. He wants you,he wants us, to sing.… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church
Authors:Keith Getty (Author)
Info:B&H Books (2017), 176 pages
Collections:Christian Growth / Discipleship, The Church

Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church by Keith Getty

What an encouragement to be told that Christians must sing: for the Gettys, congregational singing is both privilege and obligation. They point to many places in the Bible where we are commanded to sing, and, while conceding a place in worship for song as performance, their focus in Sing! is on the central place of congregational singing.

The Gettys make a living from writing and performing songs and encouraging the Body of Christ in music. Many of us have sung their In Christ Alone, an example of a singable melody and strong Biblical content. The chapter headings of Sing! assert that we are created to sing, commanded to sing and compelled to sing. We are to sing with heart and mind, with our family and with our local church. They write of the radical witness when congregations sing, and in a series of ‘bonus tracks’ provide checklists for pastors and elders, for worship and song leaders, for musicians and for songwriters and ‘creatives’.

Each chapter is followed by questions for reflection or discussion in a study group. Sing! would work well as a book club discussion, or a study for the whole congregation.

Sing! invites Christians to consider the first principles of congregational singing. It critiques performances that do not help the congregation to sing. The Gettys affirm the wisdom of a familiar repertoire, limiting the number of new songs and hymns.

In many congregations the idea that singing is compulsory will be controversial. As a musician and priest, however, I am pleased that the case for singing is put so strongly. How much stronger in faith singing congregations can be. How much stronger in faith are families and individuals who sing or listen to the songs and hymns they have sung in church on Sunday. And how much joy is evoked by the beauty and artistry of good music and poetry.

Sing! is not primarily for pastors and worship leaders. They don’t need convincing. A resource for all Christians Sing! will encourage all of us to sing more heartily. ( )
  TedWitham | Aug 24, 2018 |
An exhortation toward greater singing from Christians from Keith and Kristyn Getty, well-known songwriters.

The authors explore the value and power of song as part of the Christian faith: its importance in the home, the family, in good times and bad, and as congregational singing. They do well at expressing the power song has in developing, nurturing, and sustaining faith; they are dismayed by the lack of emphasis on singing among Christians, and for good reason. The book ends with a series of primers for church leaders, singers, and others with practical wisdom in how to encourage and facilitate more and more effective singing within congregations.

I appreciate the emphasis and value on congregational singing; the Lord commanded Christians to sing for good reason, and this move toward professionalism and entertainment over participation and inclusion has not been good.

A worthwhile and encouraging read, although the galley I received included perhaps a bit too many words of advance praise.

*--galley received as part of early review program ( )
  deusvitae | Dec 4, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,622,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible