Plum Tea Crazy by Laura Childs

Plum Tea Crazy

by Laura Childs

I have only read a few books in the series, but I am glad I read this one. The first thing that drew me to this book was the lovely cover. This book starts off with a bang when Theodosia (Theo) and her good friend and tea sommelier, Drayton Conneley, are viewing the the city’s Gaslights and Galleons Parade event. Sailing ships from around the world are converging on Charleston and the pair have been invited to view it from the widow's walk of one of the spectacular mansions situated on the route. When one of the guests appears to have been shot and falls from the widow's walk during the event, Theodosia jumps in right away. She ends up chasing a person who she thinks is responsible through the B & B next door. When it’s reinforced that it was a murder and not a horrible accident, Theo's friend asks her to poke around and see if she can come up with some suspects. This is a busy time of year in Charleston with the Cat Show and the accompanying Hair Ball, The Ancient Guns and Weapons Show, a Fashion Show at her "friend" Delaine's boutique and the Garden Club's Plum Blossom Tea that Theo and her staff are kept hopping. Somewhere in there, she has time to make a new friend, Alexis, who has opened a Japanese Gallery down the street and to investigate the murder.

Theo’s supportive friends are there to help her out from Drayton to Haley, the talented shop’s chef, and Haley’s young nephew, Jamie. The supporting characters are well thought out and add fun to the storyline. Theo’s relationship with Detective Pete Riley helped her to gather some facts and I find it refreshing that he doesn’t demand that she stop snooping. There were some laugh out loud moments in the book that I enjoyed as well. I thought I figured out who the murderer was and I was right, but the reveal was well done and tied up all the loose ends. I enjoyed this story and will probably go back and read some of the ones that I have missed. I will also try a couple of the recipes included in the back. If you are a tea lover, there are also some Tea Time Tips and links for Tea Resources, which you might want to check out. I received a copy of this book from the First To Read Program. I willingly reviewed this book and the opinions are my own.
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Theodosia and Drayton become embroiled in the murder of a banker and after a few missteps are able to solve the crime. I think for me this series is much more about the setting than the mystery. The tea shop and southern charm keep me coming back for more and wishing I lived in South Carolina. ( )
  CaitZ | Jan 31, 2019 |
When a banker shot with an antique crossbow falls from Timothy Neville's roof becoming impaled on the iron fencing thus meeting his death, Theodosia, who was present at the event, feels compelled to help her boyfriend Detective Pete Riley and his superior Detective Burt Tidwell with the investigation. She does uncover useful clues for the detectives but endangers those around her in the process. Theodosia's lists of suspects includes the wife of the victim, a colleague of the victim, a man involved in business deals with the victim, and a man who wants to stop the upcoming antique weapons show. A few comical moments are created. My suspicion fell to the person who committed the dastardly deed almost from character's introduction. This series is becoming very formulaic. I'd like to see Jamie become a regular in the series--perhaps being mentored by Drayton. It was nice to spend some time with my Theodosia and company, but with Theodosia dating Pete, her interaction with Tidwell was limited, and I missed that aspect. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 15, 2019 |
Plum Tea Crazy is Laura Childs' 19th Tea Shop Mystery. The series takes place in historic Charleston, South Carolina. I have read all of the books in the series and have loved them.

The story opens with Indigo Tea Shop owner and amateur sleuth Theodosia Browning viewing a Gaslight and Galleons Parade from friend Timothy Neville's mansion. A local banker, Carson Lanier, falls from a rooftop and impales himself on an iron fence at Neville's home. Some observers thought that they heard a shot before he fell. However, it is later discovered that Lanier was shot with a bolt from a medieval crossbow before he fell. At the request of her friend Timothy Neville, Theodosia becomes involved in the investigation into Lanier's death.

I think this series needs a shot in the arm. The same events happen in the same order in every book. While I applaud the author for always having the crime committed in the first chapter so that the entire book is devoted to the whodunnit, after that the book is stale. We series readers know that secondary character Delaine Dish will host a fashion show where 2 women will have an argument and Delaine will then have a tantrum that can only be soothed by Theodosia. We know that there will be 2 extravagant tea events in her shop, although those tend to be rather interesting. We also know that the Heritage Society, chaired by Timothy Neville, will be the place where the crime or a crime will be committed. Usually it is where the crime to be solved in the book has occurred. The murder place should be varied.

The main characters are great. Theodosia, her tea blender Drayton Connelley, her cook Haley and police detective Burt Tidwell are awesome. Some of the regular secondary characters are no longer interesting, especially Delaine, and the author should create some new ones. Theodosia has some eccentric relatives that maybe should become more prominent characters. Theo uses her secondary characters to help her solve murders so it is crucial that they not only be interesting but also grow as characters.

I was disappointed with this installment of the series. I will give the series one more chance but if the author does not mix things up a bit, I will stop reading it. ( )
  Violette62 | Oct 10, 2018 |
This book was pretty enjoyable. I had no idea going in that this is the 19th in the series, but it was very easy to read as a standalone. I've been reading more and more mysteries through First to Read and I've found that I really do like the genre. The characters in this book do come off as a tiny bit pretentious, and you'll have to suspend disbelief that the detectives didn't put the pieces of the mystery together before Theo. While there were a few other elements of this story that I didn't love, overall it was a good read that kept me interested throughout. The solution to the mystery was actually pretty surprising, and the setting was quaint and well-written. I would definitely read more cozy mysteries by this author. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |

"While viewing the harbor's Gaslights and Galleons Parade from the widow's walk of Timothy Neville's Charleston mansion, local banker Carson Lanier seemingly tumbles over a narrow railing, then plunges three stories to his death. But a tragic accident becomes something much more sinister when it's discovered that the victim was first shot with a bolt from a crossbow. At the request of the mansion owner, Theodosia investigates the tragedy and is soon neck deep in suspects. An almost ex-wife, a coworker, a real estate partner-- all had motives for killing the luckless banker, but one resorted to murder to settle accounts"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible