dismiss

Why Kill the Innocent

by C. S. Harris

"In the newest mystery from the national bestselling author of Where the Dead Lie, a brutal murder draws Sebastian St. Cyr into the web of the royal court, where intrigue abounds and betrayal awaits. London, 1814. As a cruel winter holds the city in its icy grip, the bloody body of a beautiful young musician is found half-buried in a snowdrift. Jane Ambrose's ties to Princess Charlotte, the only child of the Prince Regent and heir presumptive to the throne, panic the palace, which moves quickly to shut down any investigation into the death of the talented pianist. But Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, and his wife Hero refuse to allow Jane's murderer to escape justice. Untangling the secrets of Jane's world leads Sebastian into a maze of dangerous treachery where each player has his or her own unsavory agenda and no one can be trusted. As the Thames freezes over and the people of London pour onto the ice for a Frost Fair, Sebastian and Hero find their investigation circling back to the palace and building to a chilling crescendo of deceit and death"--… (more)

I keep wondering if I am going to tire of this series. Happily, not yet, although I was thankful that the story was back on more familiar ground of political intrigue. Everything from a paranoid, controlling and jealous Prince Regent, a willful princess, palace machinations, a scheming foreign courtesan, and a growing body count as Sebastian investigates... good stuff to keep me happily enthralled. All of the characters (even the cat, Mr. Darcy) have settled comfortably into their respective roles. Maybe a little too comfortably, as Sebastian does not seem to be getting into as many scraps as in previous installments. While there are still moments of suspense (most notably in the Berkeley Square Gardens and on the river during the Frost Fair this time) the outcomes are not a huge surprise. That is always the downside with a long-running series: Unless the author is prepared to occasionally kill off some re-occurring characters suddenly, the suspense scenes start to loose their edge. I know, I can be ruthless sometimes. For me, this series has three strengths: The author's ability to craft wonderful murder mysteries, the atmospheric setting and the strength of the lead characters to be both a team and strong, independent characters.

Overall, another intriguing Regency period whodunnit. ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 4, 2020 |
C S Harris presents a novel rich in the history of England during the 1810’s. The description of the frozen Thames River and the festivities of the Frost Fair show an England attempting to survive a brutal winter with the poor population struggling with hunger and cold. Where people are hanged for the mere crime of stealing food and men are pressed into service for the navy. A gruesome murder begins the novel as Hero unknowingly stumbles in the ice and snow across the body of a young woman. The story hinges on the rights of women with even a rich woman dominated by her male relatives. The majority of the story focuses on Sebastian determining the murderer of a young piano teacher and showing his blundering inquiries into Jane’s last day. This story sadly lacks interaction with Jarvis and Hero. ( )
  delphimo | Jun 7, 2020 |
London, 1814. In one of the coldest winters ever is the body of a woman found in the snow by no other than Hero, the wife of Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin. She recognizes the woman as Jane Ambrose, a piano teacher to Princess Charlotte, the only child of the Prince Regent. Since Jane is connected to the royal house the investigation quickly shut down, but Sebastian and Hero will not let the murderer get away. The question is who would want to kill a piano teacher?

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Why Kill the Innocent by C.S.Harris is the 13th book in the Sebastian St. Cyr series. Jane Ambrose is found covered in snow, murdered, by Hero, the wife of Viscount Devlin. Devlin will be the one investigating the murder. His suspects include a wide amount of people connected to Princess Charlotte, the only child of the Prince Regent and heir presumptive to the throne. Untangling the secrets of Jane's world leads Sebastian into dangerous treachery where no one can be trusted.

This is the first book in the series that I have read. Except for a few bits of information that would have helped me in the book, I was in no way put out by that. That said, this can be read as a stand-alone. I found the story to be really well researched. As I finished the book and read the Author's Note, I was amazed as to how much research by the author there was. That always impresses me when an author of historical fiction sticks to the facts as much as they can.

I really enjoyed this novel, I give it 4 stars, and I do have the Who Slays the Wicked and hope to enjoy it as much as I did Why Kill the Innocent. Maybe someday I will start from the beginning! ( )
  celticlady53 | Mar 9, 2019 |
Another great installment in the St. Cyr series - this series has developed considerably from the beginning when it was much darker. I continue to enjoy these characters and enjoy Hero's increasing involvement in the series. Another good read! ( )
  plunkinberry | Dec 1, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,070,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible