A Good Day to Marry a Duke (Sin &…

A Good Day to Marry a Duke (Sin & Sensibility)

by Betina Krahn

1431,047,154 (3.88)None
From award-winning New York Times bestselling author Betina Krahn comes a beguiling new romance brimming with her signature wit, timeless sensuality, and thrilling romance?as desire proves to be a great equalizer . . . Daisy Bumgarten isn't thrilled to be trying to catch a duke's attention while dressed like a flower pot caught in a swarm of butterflies. But, after all, when in Rome (or in this case London society). . . . Since her decidedly disastrous debut among New York's privileged set, the sassy Nevada spitfire's last chance to "marry well" lies across the pond, here in England. If she must restrain her free spirit, not to mention her rib cage, so be it. She knows she owes it to her three younger sisters to succeed . . . Now, under a countess's tutelage, Daisy appears the perfect duchess-in-training . . . Until notorious ladies' man Lord Ashton Graham, a distraction of the most dangerous kind, glimpses her mischievous smile and feisty nature?and attempts to unmask her motives. Daisy has encountered snakes on the range, but one dressed to the nines in an English drawing room is positively unnerving?and maddeningly seductive. When a veiled plot emerges to show up Daisy as unworthy of the aristocracy, will Ashton be her worst detractor? Or the nobleman she needs most of all? Praise for Betina Krahn "Krahn has a delightful, smart touch." ?Publishers Weekly "Smart, romantic . . . sure to delight readers." ? Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "Betina Krahn is a treasure." ? BookPage… (more)

A Good Day to Marry a Duke by Betina Krahn is a 2017 Kensington publication.

After being shunned by the old money society in the United States, nouveau riche debutante, Daisy Bumgarten is trying her luck in England. She is determined to make her mother proud, by marrying a duke, thus assuring her sisters will also make their way into the upper crust of society. However, Daisy’s motives are a little too obvious, a situation that is fortuitous to unabashed ladies' man, Lord Ashton Graham. Commissioned to ruin Daisy so that she can not marry his brother, Ashton does everything in his power to talk her out of it, but before long, he finds himself helping her prove her lineage is proper enough for London society. He also finds the brash American compelling and very smart, but also confused by her frank desires, which women aren’t supposed to enjoy. Before he knows it, he is in direct competition with his own brother, each hoping for a future with the vivacious American.

Will Daisy marry for duty, for the future of her sisters, or will she marry for love?

This is an enjoyable historical romance, which centers around the real life ‘dollar princesses’ who traveled from America to England, loaded with money, hoping to marry into the aristocracy for the sake of a title. This worked wonderfully for some entitled gentlemen who were in desperate need of funds. While the author notes several true- life examples, none of them turned out to be love matches, but this story has a much happier outcome.

There were a few moments at the beginning of the book that made me cringe a little, -well, actually, it bothered me a lot, since Ashton’s behavior mimics the type of advances and inappropriate touching, women have had enough of, and Daisy’s reaction was confusing to me. But, as I read on, I realized the author was trying to put a strong emphasis on the double standard society imposed on women when it comes to enjoying sexual intimacy. Daisy has a healthy appetite and loves the company of men, but is made to feel as though her desires and needs are sinful… you know- close your eyes and think of England- UGH! Women were made to feel as though it was a duty, nothing more. Daisy really struggles to keep her desires under control, but Lord Ashton is temptation on a stick.

Daisy is a delightful character, willing to sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of her family. Ashton was taken with Daisy right from the start, and genuinely felt bereaved that such a wonderful woman would have her vitality squashed by the excessive demands placed on her by marrying a duke, and that his rather introverted brother wouldn’t know how to appreciate someone as amorous as Daisy. Still, he has nothing to offer her, and the title is what she is determined to have, which leaves the notorious bad boy with a heartbreaking case of unrequited love.

I enjoyed this nice, light hearted, romantic romp. I have a couple books on my shelf by this author, but I never got around to reading them. So, although, Ms. Krahn has an impressive library of published works, this is my first impression of her.

Not only will I be returning for more ‘Sin and Sensibility’, but I think I’ll pull out those older books that have been languishing on my shelves and become more acquainted with this author.

3.5 rounded up ( )
  gpangel | Apr 26, 2018 |
A Duchess-in-training, maybe!

An interesting basis to a new series. American heiresses 'who descended on England in the late Victorian era' engaging in the London season, hoping for a titled husband. The author's note at the end of the book is quite illuminating about the practice of sending dowered daughters 'across the pond' to bring back a blue blood husband. Some 'bemoaned it as 'the tidal wave of “dollar princesses” '. Although it seems many of these men were no prize, rather total disasters. But do read this fascinating footnote.
Daisy Bumgarten has a lot to live down. Her New York debut was a total failure. I felt pained along with Daisy when we overheard the catty, disparaging comments of the New York disdaining elites.
To help her family Daisy agrees to a London season. After all she has three younger sisters lining up behind her. The trouble is Daisy finds it hard to push down the sparkling outspoken woman she really is.
So to London where Daisy's sights, or rather her sponsor's sights, have been firmly set on Arthur Graham, the sixth Duke of Meridian.
Unfortunately, Arthur's brother Lord Ashton Graham is charged with not only discovering Daisy's english antecedents, but with actively dashing her hopes. What he didn't expect was how much he would come to appreciate Daisy. Indeed, the very air sizzles between them, but Daisy must do her duty to her family. Ash as the 'spare' portrays the unenviable lot of many of those in his position. His treatment by his family and his brother's trustees is deplorable.
In all this Arthur, a retiring avid naturalist starts to develop into his own man, thanks largely to Daisy's influence and understanding. So we have the kindly, somewhat preoccupied Duke lifting his head to become aware of his estate and his trustee's actions, the dazzling Daisy and the misunderstood handsome rake Ash. Their stories come together in a highly charged and delightful fashion.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Dec 5, 2017 |
I read an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. This is the first book in the Sin and Sensibility trilogy by Bettina Krahn. The heroine Daisy Baumgarten a Nevada silver heiress has come to England in search of a titled husband after being rejected as new money by New York society. She feels that she must marry a title in order to pave the way for her younger sisters acceptance in society. Daisy has set her sights on Arthur Graham the sixth Duke of Meridian, but first she must prove to his nasty uncles and aunts that she has acceptably noble blood, which leads to adventures in Oxford and Bristol tracking down her family history. Along the way she is both helped and hindered by Ashton Graham the Duke’s handsome and charming roguish brother who has been ordered by the nasty uncles to make sure that Daisy is not successful in her quest. I very much enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the adventures of Daisy’s sisters. ( )
  nmgski | Sep 10, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,772,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible