Magic Spark (Enchanted Book 1) by Sara Dobie…

Magic Spark (Enchanted Book 1)

by Sara Dobie Bauer

432,324,609 (3.67)None

No tags.

I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

So this is 3 short novell's, unrelated, but all "magic" inspired.

The first one, was cute and a bit predictable, girl meets boy (newish neighbor). Boy is life, girl is death, they counter each other, and poof, a happy ending.

Second one, well i would not call it a "romance", but it did involve witches, and magic. The best part about this one was the crazy house that doesn't really like the main character. I do not like cheating, but especially don't like crazy people who still want a cheater, spoiler alert, he got what was coming to him i guess.

The third one was my favorite. Not really a happy start, or ending. I think that's what was so good, not predictable. Magic was only hinted at really, guess the to be continued on this one will be even better with more magic and twisted romance, can't wait! ( )
  bluebutterfly99 | Jan 5, 2018 |
Magic Spark anthology is a complication of three stories. When Demigods Court Death by Wendy Sparrow, These Roots Run Deep by Em Shotwell, and Destiny’s Dark Light by Sara Dobie Bauer.

When Demigods Court Death – I really enjoyed this story. The characters were very three dimensional with believable reactions and motivations. There was also great world building and the sense of a complete story with a satisfying HEA HFN. The world Ms. Sparrow has created could be expanded and explored in so many more ways this was the perfect teaser to wet a readers appetite for more. I for one and hoping for more and will keep an eye on this author.
EM Shotwell pulled off a tricky story ideal in These Roots Run Deep. I normally struggle to get into stories with unsympathetic protagonists, and stories with unfaithfulness/cheating, but Shotwell did a spectacular job of making me care just enough to stay invested in her tale. There were a few typos that stopped me, but this was an ARC copy. The other March sisters stole a bit of the limelight only because they were more sympathetic, but it would be an easy stepping stone for Ms. Shotwell to expand this unique and fun magical world. Although, my own personal hang up it was an interesting and satisfactory read.
Destiny’s Dark Light – is a cliffhanger prologue-type teaser for (I believe) a full length book that is yet to come. *fingers crossed anyway* The characters were solid, believable, and relatable. The world she’s created is colorful, mysterious, unique, and magic-filled. I can’t wait for more! And even though I was a bit irked that this was a “To be continued…” ending, I’m hooked and will be really looking forward to what comes next in this world and from the author.

Overall these stories were all “magic” centric but eclectic in their voice and ascetic. This was a fun read and yet another well put together anthology by Pen and Kink.
I received an ARC ebook version of this anthology in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  AryaBrandon | Nov 17, 2017 |
Three romantic novellas each featuring a touch of magic.
The first one was great. A fertility demigod searches for and finds the one who balances his power, a death-dealing demigod. I liked the take of opposites attracting and their visit to the zoo was hilarious.
The second tale didn't grab me. Cheyanne came off as way too needy and desperate to be a woman of power and the conclusion, that she would take her man any way she could get him even if he was no longer human, left me cold.
The final story kept me engaged until the final three words. You stinkers! Now I have to wait to have all my questions answered. Where is Zoe? Is she the dorcha? Can Cyan really give up the love of her life? What's different about Sybil's latest picture? ( )
  madlibrarian | Oct 27, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sara Dobie Bauer's book Magic Spark was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,005,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible