dismiss

This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a…

This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor (2017)

by Adam Kay

The Sunday Times bestseller and winner of the National Book Awards Book of the Year 2018"Painfully funny. The pain and the funniness somehow add up to something entirely good, entirely noble and entirely loveable." Stephen FryWelcome to 97-hour weeks. Welcome to life and death decisions. Welcome to a constant tsunami of bodily fluids. Welcome to earning less than the hospital parking meter. Wave goodbye to your friends and relationships . . .Welcome to the life of a junior doctor.Scribbled in secret after endless days, sleepless nights and missed weekends, comedian and former junior doctor Adam Kay's This Is Going to Hurt provides a no-holds-barred account of his time on the NHS front line. Hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking by turns, these diaries are everything you wanted to know - and more than a few things you didn't - about life on and off the hospital ward. And yes, it may leave a scar.WINNER OF THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS POPULAR NONFICTION BOOK OF THE YEAR 2018 (UK)WINNER OF THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS NEW WRITER OF THE YEAR 2018 (UK) WINNER OF THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS BOOK CLUB BOOK OF THE YEAR 2018 (UK) PRAISE FOR THIS IS GOING TO HURT"Stayed up half the night laughing out loud over painfully smart, honest doctor diaries'" Emma Donoghue, author of Room"A funny, excoriatingly revealing, beautiful book." Dawn French"As hilarious as it is heartbreaking - and it IS heartbreaking (also hilarious)" Charlie Brooker creator of Black Mirror"Uniquely funny and unexpectedly heartbreaking" Adam Hills, Australian comedian and host of The Last Leg"A blisteringly funny account shot through with harrowing detail, many pertinent truths and the humanity we all hope doctors conceal behind their unflappable exteriors." Jo Brand… (more)

Funny but also very touching and sad, a collection of anecdotes painting an exhausting picture of what a junior doctor's daily work is like.
Makes me wonder if working for NSH is completely different from other parts of the world, because the image Adam Kay offers makes it hard to believe anyone would be fooled into doing the work.
I listened to this as an audiobook, read by the author. This, for me, was a major plus: Kay has an amiable voice and a nice dry way of reading, he is truly the best person to read this. ( )
  Iira | May 17, 2020 |
Funny, tragic and gives an amazing glimpse into the lives of doctors in the UK.
  brakketh | Apr 30, 2020 |
Fun, hilarious, sobering account of a doctor's life, pivoting into an impassioned plea to save the NHS. ( )
  adzebill | Apr 15, 2020 |
Fantastic. A timely insight into the life of a junior doctor, working in a hospital and the NHS more generally. It was hard not to think about the situation currently facing those working in health services, and wondering how they can cope with this on top of everything else.

It is rare to find a book that genuinely makes me laugh out loud, but this one did. I was often left wondering, how, why and surely not? I think sometimes people find the type of humour found in this book inappropriate, but for many it becomes a coping mechanism. It helps get people through the trauma, heartbreak and death. Growing up this led to some weird dinner table conversations.

Amongst this humour Kay also provides an insight into the darker realities of working in such an environment, and the impact it has on all areas of their lives. Eventually these experiences became too much and he made a decision to leave the profession. It is these moments in the book I will remember most. They are a reminder that Doctors, and all other health professionals, are human. They are with you through the happiest and saddest moments of your life, and everything else in between. Amongst all of this they are dealing with their own human stuff.

The NHS, despite its problems, is the beating heart of the UK. It is; something we should be proud of, something we shouldn’t take for granted, and something we should also strive to improve. Not just for those who need it but also for those who work within it.
  SophieLJanssen | Apr 14, 2020 |
Adam Kay had come from a family of medics, so becoming a doctor was inevitable. He knew some of what he was going to have to do as a junior doctor, but he didn’t quite realise how much doing that job would take out of him. This book is the diary that he kept of his time working on the maternity ward.

Naturally, he has changed names and significant details to anonymise the events, but what he recounts here dealing with the general public is very very funny at times!

There are sad moments too, which you are naturally going to get in any hospital that is caring for any really ill people.

There are times when he brushes off near-death moments as a seasoned pro and other times when he needs to sit a cry for an hour having not being able to help a particular individual. Just when you think that you have heard it all, then comes another person in with an object inserted literally where the sun doesn’t shine. The funniest one was the candle…

He is an eloquent writer who is not scared to get angry about things when it comes to the NHS. I do feel that the whole system is broken if they are having to push doctors to the point where they can make life-changing mistakes. This is an NHS that has been worn down by successive governments and just at the moment where we have a pandemic hit us it is at its lowest point. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,497,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible