So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma…

So You Want to Talk About Race (edition 2018)

by Ijeoma Oluo (Author)

Member:Minthe
Title:So You Want to Talk About Race
Authors:Ijeoma Oluo (Author)
Info:Seal Press (2018), Edition: 1st Edition, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Non-Fiction, For recommendations, Audiobook
Tags:zb2019, usa, non-fiction, audio book, zr2019

So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo

This is not a book you can walk away from. It is a book that you will read many times and get different information from it. The first time you read to see what she has to say. The second time to understand what she says. Then you buy it and re-read it over the years to see how it impacts you or see how you can use it to better understand race and racism and how to better your behaviors and thoughts on race and racism.

I can understand some of what she says. Other things I can't because I have not experienced it nor lived with those who have. At times I got mad. Other times I just got sad as she relates her experiences. I appreciate that it feels like she is a friend just talking to us on the porch. She does not preach but she gets her point across--sometimes through plain speaking, other times through humor. I never felt like I wanted to walk away from this talk. I wanted to learn--not sure how much I did. Time and re-readings will tell. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I cannot reccomend this book enough. EVERY WHITE PERSON NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK! Regardless of if you THINK you're educated on what it means to be an ally/accomplice or you're brand new to the racial justice movement, read this book. ( )
  MariahLynn12 | Jan 11, 2019 |
This was a very enlightening read, and I recommend it to people of all races IF they are willing to read it with an open mind.

The focus of the book is on systematic racism and how even if a person does not consider themselves racist, there is a lot more to racism than how we treat minorities because we are all a part of a system that has been in place for hundreds of years that has a tendency to give whites the upper hand and suppress many minorities, especially blacks. I found the book engaging, interesting, and easy to read as it was broken down into chapters by discussion topic. It is a very relevant read for today's environment, and I feel much more knowledgable about racism in the US, how to appropriately discuss many controversial topics, and some steps I can take. ( )
  christinegrabowski | Jan 2, 2019 |
This book should be required reading. Eye opening and accessible. Sometimes (necessarily) uncomfortable. Will reread!!! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Dec 11, 2018 |
I picked this book because of the cover and once I started reading I was intrigued. Every chapter either taught me something or guided me about questions I have about race. I think this is a good read for teachers and students because it helps readers learn how to talk about race, learn to change your attitudes and actions. It opens the often dreaded conversation about race and is.

While it was difficult to read, I think if it was read aloud and discusses, it would be easier for students to engage and educate themselves on the topic.
  edalton | Dec 3, 2018 |

"A current, constructive, and actionable exploration of today's racial landscape, offering straightforward clarity that readers of all races need to contribute to the dismantling of the racial divide. In So You Want to Talk About Race, Editor at Large of The Establishment, Ijeoma Oluo offers a contemporary, accessible take on the racial landscape in America, addressing head-on such issues as privilege, police brutality, intersectionality, micro-aggressions, the Black Lives Matter movement, and the "N" word. Perfectly positioned to bridge the gap between people of color and white Americans struggling with race complexities, Oluo answers the questions readers don't dare ask, and explains the concepts that continue to elude everyday Americans. Oluo is an exceptional writer with a rare ability to be straightforward, funny, and effective in her coverage of sensitive, hyper-charged issues in America. Her messages are passionate but finely tuned, and crystalize ideas that would otherwise be vague by empowering them with aha-moment clarity. Her writing brings to mind voices like Ta-Nehisi Coates and Roxane Gay, and Jessica Valenti in Full Frontal Feminism, and a young Gloria Naylor, particularly in Naylor's seminal essay "The Meaning of a Word.""--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,223,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible