Love’s Concessions and Compromises by…

Love’s Concessions and Compromises

by Sophia Addams

213,610,343NoneNone
Recently added bymadlibrarian, AlexaiV

No tags.

This is one of the most uncomfortable books I have ever read. If I had not received it with the understanding that I would write a review, I would not have finished it.
Two emotionally damaged people meet and end up in love. A man with an overwhelming need to control every aspect of his life including the people in it meets a woman who married a controlling man who ultimately became physically abusive. Two decades after his death, the husband still controls her life. What Stevie needs is a therapist not someone who comes to control where she lives and even when she works. When Marcus makes plans that conflict with Stevie's job, he goes behind her back and arranges her time off with her boos and informs her of this after the fact.
Every time Marcus says "good girl" I cringed. I pictured him patting Stevie on the head like she was a puppy who went on the newspaper and not on the floor.
Stevie doesn't put up much of a fight. She quickly goes from resenting Marcus's high-handed ways to acknowledging she might as well give in as he'll get his way to deciding it's so nice to have someone make all her decisions. She's a 54 year-old grandmother, as is constantly pointed out. She's a grownup but she doesn't act like one.
Marcus is a bully. He constantly says Stevie only has to say no and he'll back off but he never does. He convinces Stevie he's a good guy because even thought he's taking over her life, he's not beating her like her husband did. I have never encountered a more unpleasant "hero".
I cannot NOT recommend this book enough. Don't bother. NO stars.
  madlibrarian | Oct 26, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sophia Addams's book Love’s Concessions and Compromises was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sophia Addams is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible