Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Seafire

by Natalie C. Parker

Series: Seafire (1)

A warlord killed Caledonia's parents and kidnapped her brother. Now, on the deadly Bullet seas, Captain Caledonia Styx and her all-female crew are ready for revenge. "This is Mad Max by way of Davy Jones, a high-energy, breathless adventure [about] a group of damaged girls who find home in one another." --Booklist "The pace of the book is fast and relentless, and the action sequences tense and believable, but the best moments are the ones in which the female relationships shine." --NPR "One of the most spell-binding adventures of the year. This is female piracy at its best." --The San Francisco Chronicle "The best kind of fantasy. . . . impossible to put down." --Paste After her family is killed by corrupt warlord Aric Athair and his bloodthirsty army of Bullets, Caledonia Styx is left to chart her own course on the dangerous and deadly seas. She captains her ship, the Mors Navis, with a crew of girls and women just like her, who have lost their families and homes because of Aric and his men. The crew has one mission: stay alive, and take down Aric's armed and armored fleet. But when Caledonia's best friend and second-in-command barely survives an attack thanks to help from a Bullet looking to defect, Caledonia finds herself questioning whether to let him join their crew. Is this boy the key to taking down Aric Athair once and for all...or will he threaten everything the women of the Mors Navis have worked for? The first in a heart-stopping trilogy that recalls the undeniable feminine power of Wonder Woman and the powder-keg action of Mad Max: Fury Road, Seafire reminds us of the importance of sisterhood and unity in the face of oppression and tyranny.… (more)

“Our first family shall not be our last.” (27%)

An engrossing read from the very beginning. I was close to loving it, and in so many ways I did, but I am super disappointed that the sweet f/f relationship is left vague enough to be up to the reader's interpretation. Seriously, the MC blatantly kisses a HOSTAGE, but a little f/f affection would be too much? ( )
1 vote kittenelephant | Jul 29, 2021 |
“Remember when they call you girl, they're trying to tell you something. They're trying to tell you that they're more than you, that the body you're in makes you less. But you know, and I know, that you're exactly what you need to be.”

Female pirates!!! I enjoy this book! ( )
  ilnsgr | Aug 9, 2020 |
This book was stupendous! Exciting and well paced with great writing and well developed characters! It made my heart race, it made my heart sing, it made me wish I could join Captain Caledonia’s crew. Female friendships make the heart of this book, and it was so refreshing to read a YA book that wasn’t focused on romance (though there’s a delicious shiver in there at some point ;) but instead fully focused on action and camaraderie. It reminded me a bit of the 90s movie Cutthroat Island (only the cool parts, ie: Geena Davis), but felt fresh and original. Cool characters, gnarly villains and badass girls who fight for freedom and for each other. The heroines struggle with the need for revenge and the desire to be better than those that wronged them, which is a feeling that resonates all too clearly for me in today’s world.
The cliff hanger ending was a doozy, and I am desperate for the next installment! It only took me so long to read because I didn’t want the story to end and took a break in the middle to make it last.
Set in a future world with a great blend of pirate tropes and steampunk tech, this book combines the best of the best. I haven’t read such a cool book in a while, it was an utter delight! ( )
  Punkerfairy | Jul 12, 2020 |
"On the back of the sea, who do we trust? – Our Sisters.
When our ship falters, who do we trust? – Our Sisters.
In a storm of Bullets, who do we trust? – Our Sisters!"

I really really enjoyed this one. I have an unhealthy obsession with pirate books and anything sea-related so imagine how happy I was to have a complex, interesting, badass only female crew. 100000000000000% happiness level.
I feel like this one was more of an introduction (this is why it stops at 3.8% and not at full 5 stars) even though i truly feel this will become one of my favorite series.
I loved the bond between the crew, the sisterhood between Caledonia and Pisces, and Oran was a delight. Finally a slow burn in a series you get a hint but you don't have the whole "can't live without you" after two minutes they've known each other. These two are more like "you're really really hot and I want to jump your bones but I've got some shit to handle first. Wait for it." And I truly appreciated and loved that.
Lir is hella scary. He has that villain charm and complexity I adore.
Honestly I'm more scared of him than Aric- the supposed "big bad guy" - that I guess we'll meet in book 2.
Can't wait for more badass ladies and some sexy times, because why the hell not. ( )
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
Seafire is the first volume of a trilogy that revolves around Caledonia Styx, the captain of an all female crew who sail the seas looking for vengeance against a brutal tyrant who controls their known world. Caledonia was fourteen when she lost her family in a brutal massacre. She and her friend, Pisces were the only survivors, and four years later they have reclaimed their damaged ship, rebuilt her and recruited an all female crew. Their goal is to play havoc against anything that is under the control of the warlord Aric Athair and his men, known as Bullets. Aric Athair ensures the loyalty of his men by keeping them addicted to a drug, leaving him means a harsh withdrawal from it’s comfort.

This was a fast moving story filled with action and adventure. I found myself quite engrossed in rooting for these young women. When they allow a deserter Bullet to live, they learn that Caledonia and Pisces’ brothers are still alive. They have been turned into Bullets but the girls decide they will attack the ship they are on and reclaim them. This is a YA story, and as such there is the beginnings of a romance added into the story, but really I found myself most interested in the action and the relationships between the women. This is a racially mixed crew, and in this world, skin color and ethnicity are accepted and someone’s worth is judged solely on how well they do their job.

Seafire is the first book of the trilogy and so it did end in a slight cliffhanger, but I expected this so was not too dismayed that the story didn’t come to a full conclusion. I have the second book waiting and when I am in the mood for a fun escape and some female swashbuckling, I know where to turn. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 25, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Sister fight with each other, for each other,
and by each other's side.
I'm lucky to have one like you, Rosie.
Caledonia stretched along the prow of the 'Ghost' as the ship sliced through black water.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,335,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible