Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves…

Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves Trilogy) (edition 2018)

by Kristina Pérez (Author)

Member:seriesousbooks
Title:Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves Trilogy)
Authors:Kristina Pérez (Author)

Literary Merit: Good
Character Merit: Good
Recommendation: Grades 9-12
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

Summary
When Branwen stumbles upon a stranger washed ashore, she sets history into motion that will change both her kingdom of Iveriu and that of the neighboring kingdom, Kernyveu, inexplicably. Branwen’s magical gifts of healing have been fostered by her aunt the Queen of Iveriu. It is these gifts that Branwen uses to heal the sick stranger only to find out he is an enemy, Prince Tristan. Tristan has come to broker a marriage between their two kingdoms so peace may be reached. However, Princess Essy loves another and will fight the upcoming marriage. Branwen has also fallen in love, but with Prince Tristan, an enemy to her people. Torn between duty to her land and to her heart, will Branwen find the strength to do what is right or will she succumb to her own selfish wants?

Evaluation
This is the first in a fantasy trilogy based on the story of Tristan and Iseult. The world building is one of this book’s strong points. The descriptions are lush and full of detail, building a world the reader can almost touch. Branwen is a real gem of a character with all her strengths and flaws wonderfully authentic. Other characters can’t quite match Branwen’s depth but they are done well overall. The plot moves at a good pace-slow where it needs to, fast when necessary. Those who love medieval romances with magical elements should be pleased with this. Recommended for grades 9-12 for high schools and public libraries. ( )
  SWONroyal | Aug 29, 2018 |
I received this book for free as part of BookSparks’ YA Summer Reading Challenge.

Omg this was so amazing! I don’t know why people aren’t talking about this book. This could have totally been one of those super hyped YA books.

This is a retelling of the popular Tristan and Iseult myth, which I have to admit, I’ve never even heard of. So going into this book I didn’t have any expectations about the retelling aspect since I knew nothing about the story. I went into the book completely blind as to what might happen. I wanted to be completely surprised by it.

What I got was a roller coaster of a story. This book took me on a wild ride and I loved every second of it. It was beautiful yet tragic.

For some reason, the book reminded me a lot of the CW show, Reign. The mood and atmosphere were somewhat similar, but mainly the sense of duty that Branwen had to her land reminded me a lot of the women on that show.

I loved the blend of fantasy and royalty. It was a very ethereal combination.

The writing style is wonderful. Kristina Perez spins a beautifully written tale that is just as magical as the story itself.

Since this is the first book in a trilogy, a lot of this book was set up, but it was still very enjoyable to read. I still found it to be very exciting and I was throughly engaged the entire time.

I loved the notes that the author included at the end about the language used and the source material. You can tell a lot of research went into writing this book so I appreciate that. The author even included a glossary and a list of the characters which made reading this book so easy. There is also a map but I had an ARC so mine didn’t have it but I’ve seen it in a preview and the map is gorgeous.

Overall, I was blown away by this book and will definitely be continuing the trilogy. If you’re looking for a new spellbinding YA fantasy series, then read this! ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jul 12, 2018 |
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is a voluntary review; all opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

By Chapter 2, I was super hooked into this story!

It's always readily apparent to me how much work an author has put into a story and when I was only a few chapters in, I knew how much research and thought Kristina Pérez had put into crafting this world. Not only is the world intricately crafted with its lush setting of magic and politics, but the weaving of the various Tristan and Isolde legends is beautifully done. I know the gist of the various legends but there was still an element of anticipation in this novel as I waited to see how everything would unfold and it takes a great talent to do that with a novel that has been inspired by such a well known tale.

But it really was the characters that sold this story for me. Everyone has so many layers to them, not just Branwen (though she is a fascinating lead to follow). This truly is a character driven story as I found there isn't much else to the plot besides Branwen navigating her role in court as various obstacles appear along the way. Nevertheless, it is entertaining and for someone who loves political intrigue in her novels, I was a huge fan!

The romance also won me over. Talk about SWOON! I became so invested in Branwen's love story and I can't wait to see how it will all resolve!

Personally, it reminded me a lot of Blackhearts with its similar focus on the characters and romance while working within a well known legend. Only this one is a fantasy story and involves more politics.

Full Review: https://wp.me/p7hLUw-2C3
Actual Rating: 5/5 ( )
  seriesousbooks | Jun 11, 2018 |
Branwen is an orphan who is the niece of the queen and the best friend and lady-in-waiting to her cousin Princess Eseult. She is mostly treated as another daughter of the queen and the princess's sister. Her parents were killed by the Kernyvaks and she has grown up with a hatred for them.

When she rescues and heals a young sailor, she is dismayed to learn that he is Kernyvak. She is torn between her vows as a healer and her own hatred. Gradually she falls in love with the young man but, when raiders come to find him, she encourages him to get to safety before soldiers from her country can find him. She thinks she will never see him again.

Meanwhile, the king has decided to hold a tournament for Princess Eseult's hand since she can't rule and the country needs a strong man to be her husband. Eseult, Essy to her family, is not on board with this plan. She is spoiled and self-absorbed and wants to choose her own husband. Naturally, she fixes her mind on a very unsuitable man. Branwen's rescued sailor, now revealed as Prince Tristan of Keryvak, is there to compete in the tournament as the champion for his uncle King Marc.

When treachery threatens his life, Branwen has to call on the magical heritage that she didn't really believe in to heal him. This magical heritage changes so much for Branwen and puts one more barrier between her and her cousin who didn't inherit it.

I liked the worldbuilding in this fantasy debut. I liked Branwen who was becoming a strong woman willing for fight for her homeland. The one thing I couldn't quite believe was Branwen's loyalty to Essy who didn't deserve her regard. Momentary kindness and charm wasn't enough to make her deserving of Branwen's loyalty and love.

The story is said to be loosely based on the medieval tale of Tristan and Iseult. Most of this story was the build-up to the key events of that tale. I look forward to reading more in this trilogy. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 6, 2018 |

As best friend and lady-in-waiting to the princess, Branwen is guided by two principles: devotion to her homeland and hatred for the raiders who killed her parents. When she unknowingly saves the life of her enemy, he awakens her ancient healing magic and opens her heart. Branwen begins to dream of peace, but the princess she serves is not so easily convinced. As her powers grow beyond her control, Branwen is set against both her closest confidant, and the only man she's ever loved.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,806,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible