Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves…

Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves Trilogy) (edition 2018)

by Kristina Pérez (Author)

202515,329 (5)1
Member:seriesousbooks
Title:Sweet Black Waves (The Sweet Black Waves Trilogy)
Authors:Kristina Pérez (Author)
Info:Imprint (2018), 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:netgalley, provided-copy

Sweet Black Waves by Kristina Pérez

2018 (1) fantasy (2) GR Import (1) Macmillan (1) retelling (1) review (1) to-read (6) YA (2)

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is a voluntary review; all opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

By Chapter 2, I was super hooked into this story!

It's always readily apparent to me how much work an author has put into a story and when I was only a few chapters in, I knew how much research and thought Kristina Pérez had put into crafting this world. Not only is the world intricately crafted with its lush setting of magic and politics, but the weaving of the various Tristan and Isolde legends is beautifully done. I know the gist of the various legends but there was still an element of anticipation in this novel as I waited to see how everything would unfold and it takes a great talent to do that with a novel that has been inspired by such a well known tale.

But it really was the characters that sold this story for me. Everyone has so many layers to them, not just Branwen (though she is a fascinating lead to follow). This truly is a character driven story as I found there isn't much else to the plot besides Branwen navigating her role in court as various obstacles appear along the way. Nevertheless, it is entertaining and for someone who loves political intrigue in her novels, I was a huge fan!

The romance also won me over. Talk about SWOON! I became so invested in Branwen's love story and I can't wait to see how it will all resolve!

Personally, it reminded me a lot of Blackhearts with its similar focus on the characters and romance while working within a well known legend. Only this one is a fantasy story and involves more politics.

Full Review: https://wp.me/p7hLUw-2C3
Actual Rating: 5/5 ( )
  seriesousbooks | Jun 11, 2018 |
Branwen is an orphan who is the niece of the queen and the best friend and lady-in-waiting to her cousin Princess Eseult. She is mostly treated as another daughter of the queen and the princess's sister. Her parents were killed by the Kernyvaks and she has grown up with a hatred for them.

When she rescues and heals a young sailor, she is dismayed to learn that he is Kernyvak. She is torn between her vows as a healer and her own hatred. Gradually she falls in love with the young man but, when raiders come to find him, she encourages him to get to safety before soldiers from her country can find him. She thinks she will never see him again.

Meanwhile, the king has decided to hold a tournament for Princess Eseult's hand since she can't rule and the country needs a strong man to be her husband. Eseult, Essy to her family, is not on board with this plan. She is spoiled and self-absorbed and wants to choose her own husband. Naturally, she fixes her mind on a very unsuitable man. Branwen's rescued sailor, now revealed as Prince Tristan of Keryvak, is there to compete in the tournament as the champion for his uncle King Marc.

When treachery threatens his life, Branwen has to call on the magical heritage that she didn't really believe in to heal him. This magical heritage changes so much for Branwen and puts one more barrier between her and her cousin who didn't inherit it.

I liked the worldbuilding in this fantasy debut. I liked Branwen who was becoming a strong woman willing for fight for her homeland. The one thing I couldn't quite believe was Branwen's loyalty to Essy who didn't deserve her regard. Momentary kindness and charm wasn't enough to make her deserving of Branwen's loyalty and love.

The story is said to be loosely based on the medieval tale of Tristan and Iseult. Most of this story was the build-up to the key events of that tale. I look forward to reading more in this trilogy. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 6, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,327,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible