Mackenzie's Mountain

by Linda Howard

Series: The Mackenzies (1)

Mary Elizabeth Potter is a self-appointed spinster with no illusions about love. When she meets Wolf Mackenzie, a man with a chip on his shoulder the size of Wyoming, she sets out to convince the whole town he's a man worth loving. But Wolf's not sure he -- or their small town -- is ready for the taming of Wolf Mackenzie."You can't read just one Linda Howard!" -- New York Times Bestselling author Catherine Coulter… (more)

English (20)  Thai (1)  All languages (21)
Mackenzie’s Mountain is the first book in the Mackenzie family series and the first Linda Howard book that I have read. I know this author is a prolific one and for some reason I have yet to read her until now. This book has been on my TBR for a long while now, and it was until Avon did a updated cover that it put it back on my focused list. This year I put it on my list for my Romanceopoly Reading Challenge and I finally got to it and I have to wonder why it took so long to get my hands on this beautiful romance? Because this book was breathtaking in all its epic ways and now I realize why so many readers have loved this book so much and it definitely topped my reads for the year because it TOOK MY BREATH AWAY in so many unique elements and I can’t wait to delve into the rest of the family.

Mackenzie’s Mountain is a story that features a new teacher that has moved to a small remote town in Wyoming. When she learns that one of her students Joe Mackenzie has quite school, she is determined to get him to return and on her way to Mackenzie Mountain (his home) her car dies in the snow and she gets rescued by a mountain of a man, half Scot and half Native American, Wolf Mackenzie. When he learns of the identity of this small pale woman, he is intrigued and after a sensual interlude, there is a chemistry between these two. But their love is forbidden in some ways. The town will make things very difficult, Wolf has a past of being in prison, and he doesn’t want her tainted. But Mary isn’t a wilting flower, she is strong and passionate in her right and will stand up for what is right…..that all are treated fairly. But when a serial rapist has Mary in his sights, it will take the duo mountain men to find the culprit and secure safety among the town and their future…

Mackenzie’s Mountain is a story I had no clue what I was getting into to be honest. I really had zero comprehension of what I was going into, until I was in it and I couldn’t put this book down. I was hooked….line and sinker into this one and its been a while since I have stayed up late to read a book. As I was reading this book I was overcome with all the emotion that is portrayed, and I am so impressed with the levels of intensity this author was able to convey within this story. From the first chapter, there is a strong level of sensuality and strength and you just know this author will take you on one wild ride and I was down for it. I was intrigued by the hero especially. He has so many depths to his character. He has the blood of two rich ancestries and it really is shown so strongly within him. He has been wrongly accused for a crime he didn’t commit, and raised a son all on his own and forged his own path despite the people against him. I respected his strength to rise above his circumstances and the prejudices and find such a equal match in Mary. Mary is a fun heroine and I thought that she suited Wolf so well in many regards. I admired how she stands up to the town in her support of him, she supports him 100% and has no fear. She is willing to do what is necessary for her man. And that is one of my favorite things to see in a heroine.

Obsessions were funny things; unhealthy ones could ruin lives, but some obsessions lifted people to higher planes of life, made them shine with a brighter light, burn with a hotter fire, and if those obsessions weren’t fed, then the person withered, a life blighted by starvation of the soul.

I found the story and the plot to be edgy and keep your heart beating as fast as it can as the plot builds with the danger elements that is set within the story. I really enjoyed seeing the story build to its climax and the villain…not really someone I would have fully predicted to be honest. I thought that the suspense side of the story seemed to really balance the story here and I couldn’t seem to get enough of seeing the elements come together for this book. I am highly impressed with what this author was able to create within this story and I can’t wait to delve further into the series ….most especially Joe’s book. I have a feeling it will be a good one here.

He’d never thought he would any woman, least of all an Anglo, but that was before this slight, delicate creature had bulldozed her way into his life and completely changed it. He could no more live with her now than he could live without air.

Overall I found Mackenzie Mountain to be a highly satisfying read that stuns the sense, increases your love for wild male heroes, offers a diverse cast and a unique take on confronting it and fighting for what is right and for love winning in the end! ( )
  addictofromance | Dec 20, 2020 |
"He needed a woman. Bad."

That's all you need. HAND. TO. CHEST. This book is all your alpha, growly, take charge dreams come true.

Take a journey back when times were not so technology dependent and men throw their women over their shoulders.

I took a chance and so should you. It's the perfect escape when you want to be entertained and walk away with a HEA.

Recommend: BUY IT NOW! ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
3.5 stars

I wish I had read this about 10-20yrs ago, I think then I would have loved it as much as others do. There are a couple older books (hello, purple prose!) that are very close to my heart that others read for the first time in this day and age and they don't find it as great as me. I think this may be the case with this book and me, I liked it but cringed at some parts. One person's sentimentalism is another person's expiration date.
Our main couple, Mary and Wolf, had an incredibly sweet relationship and I definitely see what all the fuss was about with them. I would recommend this book solely on the emotions between the two.
The writing is good because, Linda Howard obviously, and I will certainly be checking out Wolf's son Joe's book, I have a feeling he is going to be one hell of a leading man. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
MacKenzie's Mountain
4.5 Stars

Prim and proper teacher, Mary Elizabeth Potter, is determined that every child in the small town of Ruth, Wyoming get the education they are entitled to. So when she learns that Joe Mackenzie has dropped out, she wastes no time confronting his father. Feared and despised for his mixed heritage and dangerous reputation, Wolf Mackenzie has never met a woman like Mary and is determined to have her. Unfortunately, not everyone in Ruth is happy at the turn of events and plans on doing something about it ...

Written in 1989, Mackenzie’s Mountain contains several dated themes including virginal heroines and prejudice toward Native Americans. Nevertheless, the characters are incredibly engaging, the romance is spicy and the suspense plot adds intensity.

The sexy, smoldering hero tamed by the tiny heroine with a backbone of steel is one of my favorite tropes. Mary is a force to be reckoned with and she has Wolf tied up in knots and wrapped round her finger before he knows what’s hit him. Their chemistry is off the charts and their scenes together steam up the pages. Some of the best scenes highlight Mary’s unequivocal trust in Wolf and her fierce protective instincts when it comes to him and his son.

A small town populated by prejudiced and petty minds is the perfect backdrop for Mary and Wolf's interracial romance as the citizens react in various ways to their relationship. It is also an excellent setting for the secondary plot involving a rapist on the loose and the suspicions toward Wolf that it invokes. Although the culprit is obvious from the start, the climax and resolution are exciting and satisfying.

All in all, a charming story about love, trust and acceptance and I look forward to reading more about the Mackenzies. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
LOVE, LOVE this book! ( )
  odetteoswald | Dec 10, 2017 |

Howard, Lindaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Savard, NanetteReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horrillo Ledesma, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
none
He needed a woman.

SOMETIMES LIFE's TOUGHEST LESSONS HAVE THE GENTLEST TEACHERS....

A small Wyoming town is about to learn a few lessons -- from a new schoolteacher with the courage to win the heart of a man who swore he had nothing to give....

Mary Elizabeth Potter is a self-appointed spinster with no illusions about love. But she IS a good teacher -- and she wants Wolf Mackenzie's son back in school. And after one heated confrontation with the boy's father, she knows father and son have changed her life forever.

Still paying for a crime he didn't commit, Wolf Mackenzie has a chip on his shoulder the size of Wyoming. But prim-and-proper Mary Elizabeth Potter doesn't see Wolf as the dangerous half-breed the town has branded him. Somehow she sees him as a good, decent, honest man. A man who could love....

Wolf's not sure he -- or the town of Ruth, Wyoming -- is ready for the taming of Wolf Mackenzie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,806,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible