Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Cover of Night: A Novel by Linda Howard

Cover of Night: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Linda Howard (Author)

Member:ChantalEllis
Title:Cover of Night: A Novel
Authors:Linda Howard (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, 428 pages
Rating:***

Cover of Night by Linda Howard (2006)

I was captivated by this romantic suspense from beginning to end. An endearing yet alpha hero, a clever capable heroine with the cutest kids and an exciting layered plot. Widow Cate owner of a bed-and-breakfast seems to always need her shy handyman Cal whose tool box is a magnet for her four-year-old twin boys.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Very suspenseful and great audio w dick hill playing the guys. Cal is an ex marine and Kate owns a b&b. The ending is a little anticlimactic but very good book ( )
  afarrington | May 3, 2014 |
This book is a special favorite of mine. I've read it many times and always find something to enjoy. I love the pacing, the plot, the characters of the whole dang town. They were funny and sad and resillent and courageous. This book is a keeper. ( )
  joycrazy | Nov 25, 2013 |
I can't remember how I felt about this book the first time I read it, though I vaguely recall being disappointed in it. After this reread, I have to say I quite enjoyed it. But that might be because I skimmed and/or skipped 90% of the bad guy POV chapters.

The romance between Cate and Cal is a sweet one. She's a widow trying to make a living as a bes and breakfast owner and raise rambunctious twins boys. He's the local handyman who is so shy he blushes and stammers every time he's around her.

When trouble comes to her door in the form of two guys looking for information on one of her guests that snuck out the window, we find out more about Cal and the small town of Trail Stop, Idaho.

That part of the story worked well. So did the mystery aspect, despite the ridiculousness of the plot the bad guys concocted. I think, in part, because they themselves realizes it was ridiculous.

What dragged the story down for me was the number of alternating POV's and the amount of time spent in the heads of the bad guys. I would much rather have seen more from Cal and less from the 6 bad guys.

Even so, I'd rate this one a 3.5.

ETA: I looked up my original review...I'd say I rated it considerably higher this time around. All my original points still stand. I'm thinking I was right in saying I benefited from skipping the bad guy parts.

Original review here: http://www.thebookbinge.com/2008/04/cover-of-night-by-linda-howard.html?m=1 ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
In my opinion, this is not one of Linda's Howard best work but it's an OK reading.
It's a little confusing and fast paced but full of twists and turns, humor and all of the things Linda Howard does to make a little suspense catching. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Aug 9, 2013 |

Linda Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bean, JoyceReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Godoc, MaudTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herronen, Aila(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'occupant de la chambre trois de la maison d'hôtes Nightingale s'avança sur le seuil de la salle à manger, puis, presque aussitôt, recula hors de vue.

In the charming rural town of Trail Stop, Idaho, accessible to the outside world by only a single road, young widow Cate Nightingale lives peacefully with her four-year-old twin boys, running a bed-and-breakfast. Though the overnight guests are few and far between–occasional hunters and lake fishermen–Cate always manages to make ends meet with the help of the local jack-of-all-trades, Calvin Harris, who can handle everything from carpentry to plumbing. But Calvin is not what he seems, and Cate’s luck is about to run out.

One morning, the B&B’s only guest inexplicably vanishes, leaving behind his personal effects. A few days later Cate is shocked when armed men storm the house, demanding the mystery man’s belongings. Fearing for her children’s lives, Cate agrees to cooperate–until Calvin saves the day, forcing the intruders to scatter into the surrounding woods.

The nightmare, however, is just beginning. Cate, Calvin, and their entire community find themselves cut off and alone with no means to call for help as the threat gathers intensity and first blood is drawn.

With their fellow residents trapped and the entire town held hostage, Cate and Calvin have no choice but to take the fight to their enemies under the cover of night. While reticent Cal becomes a fearless protector, Cate makes the most daring move of her life... into the very heart of danger.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034548651X, Mass Market Paperback)

For breathless action, gripping suspense, and intense romance, bestselling author Linda Howard never misses a beat–and her thrilling new novel will have your heart racing.

With their fellow residents trapped and the entire town held hostage, Cate and Calvin have no choice but to take the fight to their enemies under the cover of night. While reticent Cal becomes a fearless protector, Cate makes the most daring move of her life . . . into the very heart of danger.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

The owner of a struggling B&B in a picturesque Idaho town, Cate Nightingale, a young widow and mother, is forced to turn for help to her mysterious handyman, Calvin Harris, when a trio of vicious thugs threatens her and the entire town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible