The Cutting Edge by Linda Howard

The Cutting Edge (edition 2012)

by Linda Howard

Info:Severn House Publishers (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:linda howard

The Cutting Edge by Linda Howard

I had this book to read for the longest time on my reading shelf. I finally had time sat down opened it and fell in love :) the guy was an ass, but I loved the whole story line the characters meshed well together. I will def. Check out more Linda howard in the future ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
I read this book after finishing Double Standards by Judith McNaught, a book with a similar theme. I feel like Howard does a better job of redeeming the hero than McNaught does, plus the shorter page count makes for a less bogged-down feeling.

Brett is investigating an embezzling scheme at the company Tess works for. He decides he's interested in her and pursues her..until he realizes she's the one doing the embezzling. Then he has her arrested and intends to press charges. The only problem? Tessa hasn't been embezzling and she'd fallen so in love with Brett his betrayal devastates her.

This is definitely an angsty novel. It grabbed me by the throat right from the beginning. I hated Brett right along with Tessa. Though his high-handedness grated, I was able to move past his betrayal because he suffered greatly for what he'd done.

The end did leave me somewhat unsatisfied, however. I think another chapter would have helped resolve things completely in my mind. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Imagine you meet a man that is beyond belief. Could he possibly be as interesting and compelling as you think? Remember if it looks too good to be true, it is. Tessa meets Brett, who is searching for an embezzler, and fur starts to fly. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
This story's plot line progressed quickly, a good thing considering its short length. I have been trying to steer clear of most books initially published in 70's-80's, being brought back in 2010's because their authors have meanwhile become, well known. However, I needed a new audiobook yesterday; I do like Ms. Howard's creative plots; and the CD case's front and blurb on the back were interesting, so I took a chance.

This book was first published in 1995, and luckily, faired better than most in terms of technology advancements.

The area it did not fair well in, was in the H/H personalities; most specifically the Hero's. I was young when Kathleen Woodiwiss made "bodice rippers" so popular. For the next 2 decades, aggressive, smothering men were the norm; so was "taking" a woman against her will (as in rape), and whom later forgives her rapist (hero) because she loved him all along, but did not want to acknowledge it. Sadly, the hero in this story had not progressed as far as he should have.

If I had read this book 20 years ago, I imagine I would have forgiven the hero his deceit, his aggressive behavior and his faithlessness, as "true love" conquers all. Now, I'm sad that publishers think it's okay to re-publish those kind of story-lines. Yet another generation of women might think it's okay for men to act like neanderthals.

Having said all of the above, I still did enjoy the book, but was glad it was short. ( )
  Conkie | Dec 13, 2012 |
While nothing special, this is a nice little romance to spend some time with. Brett is an enjoyable character, the plot is interesting enough, and the general quality of Howard's writing is present. It's not a full-length novel, however, and Howard does have several, better works to offer if you're on the fence about this one. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jun 11, 2010 |

Linda Howardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lockford, LesaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"That," said Brett Rutland in a quietly appreciative voice, "should be illegal."

A passionate story of love and betrayal
Brett was a hard man -- he had to be, in his line of work -- but not hard enough to resist Tessa. He'd tried to keep his professional and personal lives separate -- he hadn't expected to fall in love. Now, on the day that Brett exposed the embezzler, that love was to face the ultimate challenge . . .
* * *
Brett Rutland was Carter Engineering's top troubleshooter -- the company's logical choice to crack a case of internal embezzlement. Tessa Conway was the firm's accountant -- a position that made her his prime suspect. Could their love survive the ultimate challenge on the day that Brett exposes the real embezzler?
* * *
A romance about an engineering firm's top trouble-shooter who is asked to investigate a case of internal embezzlement. However, his prime suspect is the firm's accountant with whom he has fallen in love, and on the day he stands to expose the embezzler, that love is about to face the ultimate challenge.

Tessa Conway, top accountant at Carter Engineering, is also Brett Rutland's top suspect as he tries to solve a case of internal embezzlement while resisting Conway's indisputable charms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible