dismiss

Victoria & Albert: A Royal Love Affair by…

Victoria & Albert: A Royal Love Affair (edition 2017)

by Daisy Goodwin (Author)

393475,148 (4)None
The official companion to the second season of the PBS/Masterpiece dramaVictoriaby award-winning creator and screenwriter Daisy Goodwin. More than 16 million viewers watched the first season of the Masterpiece presentation ofVictoria, created and written by Daisy Goodwin--the highest-rated PBS drama in twenty years, second only toDownton Abbey. But what happened after the Queen married her handsome prince? Did they live happily ever after, or did their marriage, like so many royal marriages past and present, fizzle into a loveless round of duty? This all-new companion book by Daisy Goodwin and Sara Sheridan transports us to the private world of Victoria and Albert. Though first cousins, they could not have been more different: Victoria was impulsive, emotional, and capricious, Albert cautious, self-controlled, and logical. But together they forged a bond with each other and with their people that would change the world. Drawing on letters and diaries and fresh insights into royal history, this gorgeous book charts the constant ebb and flow of power within the couple's surprisingly ardent and modern marriage. Sumptuously illustrated and full of rich insider detail,Victoria & Albert takes us behind the scenes of the magnificent TV drama, including fascinating, in-depth information on the actors, the props, and the costumes - and bringing an extraordinary royal marriage even more fully to life.… (more)
Member:aussieh
Title:Victoria & Albert: A Royal Love Affair
Authors:Daisy Goodwin (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 304 pages

Victoria & Albert: A Royal Love Affair by Daisy Goodwin

Beautifully done. I love how this was written. It was incredibly informative both about Victoria and Albert and also about world events during her reign.
Beautiful glossy pictures from the show and drawings from the actual time period.

I think someone with an interest in the royal family would enjoy this book whether or not they watch the show.

I liked how it covered many events that we haven’t yet seen on the show (at the moment, Season 2 is still a few days away from its premiere here in the US).

The format is pretty fantastic. The information is filed out in little bursts, many sections are about two pages or so. This kept things interesting and allowed the author to cover a ton of material. I read it in order but you could also enjoy this book by randomly flipping through the sections and enjoying them.

Very enjoyable and it makes me look forward to season two even more than I already was.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Haven't watched the PBS series that this book is based on, as I've said before except for sports I very seldom watch TV. I do, however, have a keen interest in history, and found this book wonderful. I loved the way it was arranged. A topic would be covered, such as the relationship between Victoria and Albert, from there it would relate some facts about their lives, then go on to show how they were perceived by the nation. The final part would reflect how this was portrayed in the series. The children, how she felt about her constant pregnancies, the role they each played in child rearing. Their clothes, food, servants, residences, so much is covered, and often would also show how things were in London as a whole.

All accompanied by gorgeous, full color pictures, simply beautiful. Many of those playing the parts in the series, but also those of the real royals. It was s very easy and informative read. Interesting how they adapt so much for their shows, and how and with what they replace the things they cannot. A love story for the she's, so rare among royals of the past. Loved the inside and personal aspects of Victoria's character. So much research, but unlike many women of the past that left few clues to their lives, many of Victoria's letters remain. This book does inspire me to watch the next season of this series. Seems like it very well done if this book is anything to go by. ( )
  Beamis12 | Dec 14, 2017 |
I won this in a goodreads giveaway! 😊
I've been watching the first season of Victoria on Amazon with my Mom and we're obsessed! I am so in love with Victoria and Albert. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
  odetteoswald | Dec 10, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,179,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible