The little book of lykke : secrets of the…

The little book of lykke : secrets of the world's happiest people (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Meik Wiking

"So nobody knows more about happiness--what the Danes call lykke--than Meik Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen and author of the bestselling sensation The Little Book of Hygge. But he believes that, while we can certainly learn a lot from the Danes about finding fulfillment, the keys to happiness are actually buried all around the globe. In this captivating book, he takes us on a treasure hunt to unlock the doors to the good life. From how we spend our precious time to how we relate to our neighbors and cook dinner, he gathers evidence, stories, and tips from the very happiest corners of the planet. This is the ultimate guide to how we can all find a little more lykke in our lives."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)
Member:CPK
Title:The little book of lykke : secrets of the world's happiest people
Authors:Meik Wiking
Info:New York, New York : William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, [2017]

The Little Book of Lykke: Secrets of the World's Happiest People by Meik Wiking (2017)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
This is a book that you can sit down to read, or just read little sections at a time. It really gives some insightful information and insights (sorry for this sentence using repetitive sounding words, it’s too late at night to be creative). Some are things I’ve been aware of for quite some time, but it’s still nice to see how the author finds the connections the stories of people and culture around the world. Definitely a worthwhile read to give you hope about the world and small steps we can take to increase our personal happiness as well as to try and increase the happiness of those we encounter. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 21, 2020 |
I got the thought that I'd keep this around as a reference guide, in case I ever needed a reminder of how to be happy, but then I'd realized I'd never actually go back to it, because search is not yet a solved problem. ( )
  cityslicker | Nov 10, 2019 |
Heartwarming and a nice tonic to some stress. Wiking basically looks at happiness around the world and tries to formulate some basic ideas about generating more happiness.

Interesting and entertaining. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 27, 2018 |
From now on Meik Wiking should release a new book every December and that is how I should start my new year. Always. This is how I started 2017 and how I started this year. Even though I pre-ordered this book and received it the day of its publication, I was hard pressed to pass up listening to the audiobook. I would really like to marry Meik Wiking's voice (oh yes he's nice to look at too *wink*).

I think for many my fascination and desire for hygge to become a huge part of my life was a little strange and as always you have the people jumping at the chance to say something derogatory about a trend. Hygge did become quite a worldwide trend/phenomenon in 2017, but is that so bad? If the idea of Lykke, which is the Danish word for happiness and not a lifestyle choice, took off quite the same way... you know the only downside would be the world would be happier.

"The aim of this book is not to belittle the challenges we face. I am painfully aware of the struggles of many, how difficult times are, and how big the stakes are for much of humanity."

In this book I was in a perpetual state of goosebumps showing up, several times of passionate "let's do this", and yes, as strange as it may sound, crying. There is a deep desire to be content in life and when you can recognize this does not come from possessions, people, or status, it only serves to increase your desire to find the answer.

If in the United States we can't achieve many of the ideas in Lykke on a government level then we need to strive to see them happening on a corporate level and most definitely in the public forum. I would say if you own a business, add this to your reading right now. I would say give it to your employees, your family, your friends. I don't see why everyone shouldn't read this and be touched in one way or another by the idea that we can make our world better and we can find simple ways to be happier and help others to do so too.

I can't say that I like this book better than Meik Wiking's Hygge book, but I can say I love how he incorporates EVERYONE. He doesn't only speak to or about the Danish people. Through his research and travels he touches on how other countries are fighting for happiness and how while Hygge is a huge part of Danish culture...they are not in fact the perfect country. He is quick to tell you that your problems will not be solved simply by moving to Denmark and that for some that is not even a plausible endeavor. Read here: You can find happiness (lykke) and implement lifestyle changes (hygge) to your life RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE.

I still want to move to Denmark. When the statistics are presented that the United States is one of only two countries in the world not offering compensation for things like maternity leave...it's hard to not get a little disenchanted with your patriotic push.

I already can tell you this is going to be a 2018 favorite.

If you listen to the audiobook, definitely get a physical copy of the book too because there are graphs and pictures throughout! ( )
  books_ofa_feather | Jan 9, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible