Furyborn (2018)

by Claire Legrand

When assassins ambush her best friend, Rielle Dardenne risks everything to save him, exposing herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens: a queen of light, and a queen of blood. To prove she is the Sun Queen, Rielle must endure seven elemental magic trials. If she fails, she will be executed...unless the trials kill her first. One thousand years later, the legend of Queen Rielle is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora. A bounty hunter for the Undying Empire, Eliana believes herself untouchable--until her mother vanishes. To find her, Eliana joins a rebel captain and discovers that the evil at the empire's heart is more terrible than she ever imagined. As Rielle and Eliana fight in a cosmic war that spans millennia, their stories intersect, and the shocking connections between them ultimately determine the fate of their world--and of each other.--dust jacket.… (more)

Bland characters, a confusing plot, and a prologue spoiler. If you'd like to know what I didn't like about the book, read on. Basically, I'm not sure that Legrand ever decided whether she wanted to write romance or epic fantasy so we got neither but she sure used a lot of words along the way. In fairness, she writes pretty well, there were passable intrigue about which characters would turn out to be the Sun Queen and the Blood Queen, and the trials for Rielle were clever. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I listened to the audio book. I really enjoyed the narrator and most of the story. It does jump between perspectives and leaves me questioning some parts of the story. The ending fell flat for me, so I don’t think I’ll be reading the next book. ( )
  DawnReaderone | May 8, 2021 |
I've been pretty sceptical about attempting to read many of the newly released YA fantasy series, not just because most of them are poorly written in their mass production, but because they're completely overhyped by the media and plethora of Instagram "reader/reviewer." I was equally sceptical going in to Furyborn, but it grew on me as I started to get into the story. Legrand weaves a dual story of the Sun Queen and the Blood Queen, two prophesized queens who would bring new magic back to the world and either work to save it or destroy it. This is a strong premise for an epic fantasy, but Legrand chooses to tell the queens' sotries in separate timelines, which creates an initial barrier for readers who have to jump mentally between a relatively medieval world and a dystopian world. Thankfully, her two protagonists are wel developed and engaging, so readers should inevitably be drawn into wanting to know their story. I was initially drawn more to Rielle, because I was intrigued by the magic system that defined her era and I wante dto see how she (as the prophesied Sun Queen) would wield all seven types of magic, but by the end of the story Eliana's role was clearly becoming dominant as it is revealed that she is Rielle's daughter, transported to the future. Both of these female characters are strong and intelligent characters, so it's easy to see why so many people went mad for this series, but I will level some criticism at Legrand for her use of the angel Corien. I can see why Riella, who has spent much of her life hiding herself and her abilities, is keen to accept a handsome stranger who seems to know and accept her entire being at first glance, but MAN is he a creep from an outside perspective. I guess we're living in a post-Twilight world, where teenage girls still pine for obsessive boys, but I seriously wish that we could move past it. Legrand could have introduced his character without the sexual undertones, and I think that everyone would ahve still understood that he was manipulating Rielle for her power. But, his character was revealed in true horror by the finale here, and he's the Emperor plaguing Eliana's timeline as well, so I guess we'll see how that all plays out in the next novel! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
3.8 ( )
  lexrielle | Feb 9, 2021 |
I haven't read a whole lot of fantasy, but this one felt early on like it was covering new ground. It had a strangeness to it that made me think of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series, though it wasn't so like that series in the end. Still, it seemed like something new, like something a little different from the same old sort of story with a slightly different culture and world building wrapped around it.

I liked the book less as I got further into it. Much of the action of the book gets a little tedious, and I grew weary of some of the set pieces that seemed basically made for a movie version of the book. I read this aloud to my family and found that I needed to heavily edit or skip some bits that were a lot more sexually explicit (sometimes sort of embarrassingly, almost comically so) than what I'm especially keen to read aloud to a 14- and an 11-year-old. I could've done without those sort of would-be steamy parts for my own sake too (not that I'm a prude -- it just didn't do it for me). On the whole, I liked the book. I give it three stars, though it may be closer to a 3.5 (but not close enough to make me want to round it up to a 4). ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

For Brittany,
who knew Celdaria first

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,496,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible