The Elizas by Sara Shepard

The Elizas (2018)

by Sara Shepard

Eliza is a troubled young woman. She is recovering from a brain tumor, and has just finished her first novel, The Dots. The Dots is a story of Dot and her aunt Dorothy. Dot idolizes Dorothy, but doesn't realize that Dorothy is not the best person for her. Eliza's parents and stepsister are concerned that Eliza is suicidal.
This novel is billed as being Hitchcockian in its tone, but I never got the feeling of suspense and foreboding that Hitchcock was able to evoke in his films. I figured out what was happening with Dot and Dorothy very early in the novel. I didn't know the final outcome, but I wasn't heavily invested in the book, nor in the characters. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I say this as a compliment, this book is totally insane and confusing. But it totally works! The narrator of the story is an unreliable narrator because she does not even know for sure what her story is.

The story starts when Eliza nearly drowns in a hotel pool. She says she was pushed. Everyone else thinks she tried to kill herself.
Eliza has memory problems which she believes have been caused by the brain tumor she had removed.

While post op, she wrote a novel called The Dots. It tells the story of a little girl with a brain tumor and an aunt she adores, but who just might be dangerous.

The more Eliza tries to find out what happened to her, the more her story starts getting mixed up with her novel. What exactly happened to Eliza and what happened to Dot?

Her family and friends are getting very worried.
And Eliza is starting to wonder if everyone around is keeping secrets from her.

I found this book totally engrossing. Once I got into it, I didn’t want to put it down. I had to know what was happening.
Personally, I’ve had a very stressful day and this book was able to pull my attention and keep me invested. I am so glad for the timing of this book.
It will be entertaining regardless of how your day is going. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
The author of Pretty Little Liars has written a psychological thriller for adults?! Gimme!

I loved the PLL series when I was in high school, and I was beyond excited when I saw that Sara Shepard had a new book out for adults. My memories of the PLL books came rushing back - the nail-biting suspense and the snarky, chatty voice those books are written in.

The Elizas was nothing like that. This book is about Eliza, early-twenties and living in LA. In the first few pages, Eliza checks herself into a luxury resort in Palm Springs, takes a swig of vodka, and suddenly the story twists and she's no longer in her hotel room, but looking up at her worried family's faces from a hospital bed. The book is about what happened to Eliza that night, kind of. It's also about Eliza's book, The Dots. As the publication date approaches, Eliza notices that her book is bleeding into her life. The events won't stay put - what happened in her book and what happened in her real life?

Yeah, I know, it's a great idea for a novel. But there is a big problem with The Elizas, and it's Eliza herself. She is a remarkably unlikable narrator who does not have many human relationships - there's her roommates, who she doesn't seem to like, and her family, who she really doesn't like. Eliza has some quirky hobbies - she works in an oddity shop and teaches a taxidermy class - but instead of adding an interesting facet to her character, these details get lost in the plot, since they are so at-odds with everything else. Eliza is an author, but we don't see her writing, and when other characters ask her about her writing process, she consistently says, "um, I don't know." Later in the book, details are revealed that can arguably answer my questions, but I am still unsatisfied with Eliza's character. We are never given any details about her character that would endear her to us, even a little bit.

Still, this book had an interesting enough plot, but I wouldn't prioritize reading this one. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
The Elizas is a story told by a quintessential 'unreliable narrator'. You learn from the beginning that Eliza has had some issues. She claims that she can be cruel and a liar. But, she also claims that she wasn't trying to commit suicide and that someone pushed her. As a reader, you have to sift through the words and decide: do you believe Eliza or not? Do you believe the people in her life or not? Can you parse out the truth from the deceptions?

The story alternates between Eliza's present and excerpts from her soon to be released book, The Dots. Seriously, you will spend all your time trying to figure out what, if anything is real. At first, I kind of took things at face value. But, when you start to read the excerpts from The Dots, you really begin to question Eliza. Thrown in some strange characters to add to Eliza's weirdness and you have a even more reasons to doubt. Then, I started doubting my doubts! I thought "Maybe she is throwing out red herrings..." There is also some threats of danger that add to the tension. IF something is real, then Eliza could be in danger. IF something isn't real, then she is creating lots of trouble. But, you just aren't sure...

In the end, I'm still not even sure what's 100% real...I couldn't stop thinking about this book. I didn't LOVE it, but I simply could not stop thinking about it! The Elizas brings Shepard's style of questionable narrators and motives to an adult character this time. Somehow, I Eliza being an adult made her even less trustworthy as a narrator. Teenagers are impulsive so its difficult to keep up a charade for extended lengths of time. But Eliza....I could see her being able to maintain the facade for years...
Blog link live on 4/16/18 ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
The Elizas🍒🍒🍒🍒
By Sara Shepard
2018
Atria Books

Eliza Fontaine awakes in a hospital, after being found in a swimming pool at The Tranquility Resort in Palm Springs, insisting that this was not another suicide attempt.......she was pushed.
Her family is frustrated with Elizas suicidal attempts and want her to go to a facility or hospital. But Eliza insists she will find out who pushed her and why.....
Meanwhile, Eliza has been working on her debut novel 'The Dots' about a young girl who has a brain tumor that affects her emotions, and lives with a wealthy Aunt. As she writes 'The Dots', her memory lapses and problems begin to mimic her own life....and seem to be based on herself...

I really enjoyed this provocative novel and found Eliza to be interesting and compelling. Some of the dialogue is so good....
Sara Shepard is the author of 'Pretty Little Liars' series, among others.
Recommended!! ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 3, 2018 |

Unable to convince anyone that she was pushed before she was rescued from the bottom of a hotel pool, a rising author struggling with depression and memory loss begins to question her sanity as elements from her debut novel mix up with events in her real life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,363,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible