Adultolescence by Gabbie Hanna

Adultolescence (edition 2017)

by Gabbie Hanna (Author)

"From Teen Choice Award-nominated comedian and vlogger Gabbie Hanna, known on YouTube as The Gabbie Show, an astounding debut poetry collection that captures the essence of what it means to come of age in today's world. Gabbie Hanna disarms the sacred and elevates the mundane in this exhilarating debut collection of illustrated poems. Ranging from the sing-song rhythms of children's verses and a sophisticated confessional style, Gabbie explores the emotionally charged space between childhood and womanhood, revealing her own longings, obsessions, and insecurities along the way. Adultolescence heralds the arrival of an artist with a magical ability to connect through alienation, bury truth bombs within observations about pizza cravings and social media, and detonate wickedly funny jokes between moments of existential dread. You'll turn to the last page because you get her, and you'll return to the first page because she gets you"--… (more)
Member:PickleDikle
Title:Adultolescence
Authors:Gabbie Hanna (Author)
Info:Atria/Keywords Press (2017), 256 pages

Adultolescence by Gabbie Hanna

I'm disappointed. I was expecting so much more and just got mediocre garbage. There is 248 pages and maybe 5 are okay.

I enjoy Gabbie's videos, although a bit repetitive, she can be funny, and I always go back to watch more. I was very much looking forward to this book. The way she spoke about it... I was expecting some emotion. I like her song Out Loud, and I wanted this book to be more of that. I wanted her to address mental heath more then she did. It's all just stupid nonsense. It's not funny, it's irritating.

I'm so upset that I don't like this. I love poetry. I love humour. But this isn't either of those. I hate that this book is already dated. The internet slang and short-forms aren't cute. I hate that in books and a good chunk of this is written like that.

The drawings are fine enough. The whole thing just reminds me of Rupi Kaur and not in a good way. I think it was rushed, I think it was a joke and I don't think Gabbie believes she owes her fans anything. It felt like a big 'fuck you'. She hyped it up, she made it out to be something it's not and I'm sad. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
*1.5

This was,,, just not that great. I will preface this by saying I wasn't expecting much from this and it was really about as good as I thought it was going to be. Most of the "poems" were just... a complete waste of space. To me they just came off as her trying to be quirky and relatable while also trying to fill up an entire book worth of poems when she really didn't have that much to say. There's even a poem towards the end where she mentions some of these poems came from real inspiration and some were just her trying to make her deadline and to that I say: yeah, we can definitely tell.

That's not to say I hated everything, because I didn't. There were a handful of poems where I really was like "yeah, okay maybe she did something there" but then it'd be followed up by something completely ridiculous and we'd be back to square one. I feel like half of this book's poems are something I would see from a tweet that someone wrote in 2 seconds and not something you would expect in a poetry book. Mostly because they're not really poems. I did enjoy the doodles though.

This isn't me trying to hate on Gabbie or anyone who likes this book. People are allowed to like what they like and they don't have to give real reasons for why they did so. Some poetry isn't for everyone and this just definitely wasn't for me. ( )
  acciohaley | Apr 22, 2019 |
This poetry book reads fast. I spent a good moment with it, but it was not transcending. I really liked only a few poems. Something I really didn't like was the use of abbreviation (bc, u...), and of "dont" instead of "don't". To finish on a positive note, I enjoyed the illustrations. ( )
  JulietteGF | Mar 27, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,794,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible