Educated: The Sunday Times and New York…

Educated: The Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling memoir (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Tara Westover (Author)

Member:aine.fin
Title:Educated: The Sunday Times and New York Times bestselling memoir
Authors:Tara Westover (Author)
Info:Hutchinson (2018), 400 pages
Collections:Read 2018, Your library
Rating:****1/2

Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (2018)

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (bjappleg8)
    North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person (carriehh)
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (Micheller7)
    Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Quite different views of Mormon life, but both books are compelling reads of young women who suffered through horrific lives under the control of domineering and manipulative men.
    Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (kristenl)
    Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J. D. Vance (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Memoir with similar themes
    Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island by Regina Calcaterra (Micheller7)
    Cartwheels in a Sari: A Memoir of Growing Up Cult by Jayanti Tamm (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These wrenching autobiographies examine how parents with fiercely held beliefs can damage their children on multiple fronts. Forbidden from engaging with the rest of society in normal ways, the authors endured shattering psychological abuse before their eventual escape.… (more)
    The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir by Ruth Wariner (carriehh)
    Girl Unbroken: A Sister's Harrowing Story of Survival from the Streets of Long Island to the Farms of Idaho by Regina Calcaterra (Micheller7)

English (149)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (155)
I Mormoni? forse la loro cultura è integralista ma qui è la famiglia (padre malato e dispotico) ad assumere atteggiamenti che in molte parti alimentano una voglia di entrare nell'Idaho e portar via Tara. L'inferno in casa Westowher! ( )
  Ste1955 | Apr 24, 2019 |
This has been on my list of books to be read for too long and I finally had it in my hands....and could NOT put it down! Tara Westover is....amazing. How she made it to where she is becomes all the more incredible given her descriptions of her life. How? How....did she manage? Yes, it had to be strength of character as well as the fact that somehow, some very influential people stepped into her life. It was truly an "education" for me to read her memoir. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 23, 2019 |
Tara was raised on an isolated farm in Idaho. There she was homeschooled on occasion by her mother. Her dad has issues and was working on living off the grid. He supported the family by scrapping and building contracting. Her mother was a midwife and essential oil/homeopathy healer. When Tara was 16 she decided she wanted to go to school. She was able to go to BYU but there were many gaps in her education that needed to be filled. She was fortunate that in her second-year roommates she found that help. She then went on to Cambridge and Harvard.

This book was a fascinating read, like watching a train wreak--you know you should not look but it is impossible to look away. How Tara and her siblings were raised was horrific. That none died is a miracle. I am glad that Tara and some of her siblings got out and found lives in the outside world. Their dad had mental illness and their mother had a traumatic brain injury. They should not have been raising these kids. I loved when her brother Tyler spoke up in support of Tara when she would not come back into the fold and her parents spread lies about her. I am glad that Tara, Tyler, Richard, and Tony supported each other. They were the ones who got out. The others who stayed had issues and I am afraid some of the problems will continue to go down to the next generations.

I am glad I read this but it is tough as she talks about what they went through physically and mentally. I applaud them. I congratulate them on making it. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 21, 2019 |
There must have been something special in the DNA of Tara Westover that set her apart from her siblings. In her memoir, Westover, details how they all were mentally and physically abused by their father, a man who perverted the teachings of the Mormon church and feared government interference. While most succumbed to their fathers strong and somewhat twisted beliefs, Tara had a deep desire to learn and despite not having even a grade school education, self taught her way into Brigham Young University.
An inspiring read and a document as to how a formal education frees the mind from irrational thought that tends to be ingrained in a person's psyche when alternative thoughts are not presented to challenge it. ( )
  Carmenere | Apr 20, 2019 |
Engrossing, horrific memoir of the daughter of a seriously warped social outsider of the Mormon faith, and his (brainwashed?) wife. Convinced the authorities are all evil and a danger, her father supports his kids by running a seriously lethal junkyard. They are 'homeschooled', any accidents (and there's plenty of major ones) fixed at home with mother's herbal potions.
The author manages to flee the demands that she risk her life in the scrap yard; and the murderous assaults from an unhinged brother. Despite the vasts holes in her education, she somehow makes it to the top universities; but the title of the book refers not to her PhD, but to the hardly-won accomplishment of being able to break away mentally from her younger, credulous self, to be entirely out of her (apparently mentally-ill) father's power.
Westover writes well, delving into her psyche, her reluctance to give up on the family, her continuing warm relationship with some siblings.
I was confused by her mother - starting off as a bit of a home-herbalist failure, boiling up plants in the unhygenic family home, she suddenly has a thriving company, numbers of employees, (you can buy the Westover oils on Amazon!) We never see how this happens; this leads the reader to perhaps question some of the accounts of this woman. Portrayed as usually operating under her husband's direction, we start to ask questions as to how a successful business owner - ultimately earning the family wealth- is so blinded and held back by the rantings of a madman (and a mad son)...
But highly readable. ( )
  starbox | Apr 17, 2019 |

Tara Westoverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svensson, PatrikCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past is beautiful because one never realises an emotion at the time. It expands later, & thus we don't have complete emotions about the present, only about the past. - Virginia Woolf
I believe finally, that education must be conceived as a continuing reconstruction of experience; that the process and the goal of education are one and the same thing. - John Dewey
For Tyler
My strongest memory is not a memory.
...I had finally begun to grasp something that should have been immediately apparent: that someone had opposed the great march toward equality; someone had been the person from whom freedom had been wrested. (p. 180)
...something shifted nonetheless. I had started on a path of awareness, had perceived something elemental about my brother, my father, myself. I had discerned the ways in which we had been sculpted by a tradition given to us by others, a tradition of which we were either willfully or accidentally ignorant. I had begun to understand that we had lent our voices to a discourse who sole purpose was to dehumanize and brutalize others--because nurturing that discourse was easier, because retaining power always feels like the way forward. (p. 180)
I had decided to study no history, but historians. I suppose my interest came from the sense of groundlessness I'd felt since learning about the Holocaust and the civil rights movement--since realizing that what a person knows about the past is limited, and will always be limited, to what they are told by others. I knew what it was to have a misconception corrected--a misconception of such magnitude that shifting it shifted the world. Now I needed to understand how the great gatekeepers of history had come to terms with their own ignorance and partiality. I thought that if I could accept that what they had written was not absolute but was the result of a biased process of conversation and revision, maybe I could reconcile myself with the fact that the history of most people agreed upon was not the history I had been taught. Dad could be wrong, and the great historians Carlyle and Macauley and Trevelyan could be wrong, but from the ashes of their dispute I could construct a world to live in. In knowing the ground was not ground at all, I hoped I could stand on it. (p. 238)
It's strange how you give the people you love so much power over you, I had written in my journal. ... He had defined me to myself, and there's no greater power than that. (p. 199)
I had been taught to read the words of men like Madison as a cast into which I ought to pour the plaster of my own mind, to be reshaped according to the contours of their faultless model. I read them to learn what to think, not how to think for myself. (p. 239)

An Amazon Best Book of February 2018: Tara Westover wasn’t your garden variety college student. When the Holocaust was mentioned in a history class, she didn’t know what it was (no, really). That’s because she didn’t see the inside of a classroom until the age of seventeen. Public education was one of the many things her religious fanatic father was dubious of, believing it a means for the government to brainwash its gullible citizens, and her mother wasn’t diligent on the homeschooling front. If it wasn’t for a brother who managed to extricate himself from their isolated—and often dangerous--world, Westover might still be in rural Idaho, trying to survive her survivalist upbringing. It’s a miraculous story she tells in her memoir Educated. For those of us who took our educations for granted, who occasionally fell asleep in large lecture halls (and inconveniently small ones), it’s hard to grasp the level of grit—not to mention intellect—required to pull off what Westover did. But eventually earning a PhD from Cambridge University may have been the easy part, at least compared to what she had to sacrifice to attain it. The courage it took to make that sacrifice was the truest indicator of how far she’d come, and how much she’d learned. Educated is an inspiring reminder that knowledge is, indeed, power. --Erin Kodicek, Amazon Book Review

"An unforgettable memoir about a young girl who, kept out of school, leaves her survivalist family and goes on to earn a PhD from Cambridge University"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,209,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible