Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover

Educated: A Memoir (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Tara Westover (Author)

Member:brendajanefrank
Title:Educated: A Memoir
Authors:Tara Westover (Author)
Info:Random House (2018), Edition: 1st, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Mormons, religion, family, education, memoir, audio book

Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (2018)

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (bjappleg8)
    North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person (carriehh)
    Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J. D. Vance (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Memoir with similar themes
    Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Quite different views of Mormon life, but both books are compelling reads of young women who suffered through horrific lives under the control of domineering and manipulative men.
    Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (kristenl)
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (Micheller7)
    Girl Unbroken: A Sister's Harrowing Story of Survival from the Streets of Long Island to the Farms of Idaho by Regina Calcaterra (Micheller7)
    Cartwheels in a Sari: A Memoir of Growing Up Cult by Jayanti Tamm (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These wrenching autobiographies examine how parents with fiercely held beliefs can damage their children on multiple fronts. Forbidden from engaging with the rest of society in normal ways, the authors endured shattering psychological abuse before their eventual escape.… (more)
    Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island by Regina Calcaterra (Micheller7)
    Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir by Ruth Wariner (carriehh)

English (167)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (173)
I somehow managed to not listen to the hoopla over what this book was about and was surprised to find it really wasn't about home schooling in the broadest sense, but instead about the contagion of mental illness. I found it a very quick read (thank goodness! I couldn't have taken much more), but well worth it. The book is a good illustration of what Tolstoy meant when he wrote: "...every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 24, 2019 |
I'm not sure why I was not as impressed by this as many other readers. Reading about severely dysfunctional families is never an easy read and I'm sure it wasn't easy to write (or live through either). If I was more engaged with the narrator I think I would have had a better opinion. A better editor would have helped. The author seemed, in my opinion, to just gloss over certain issues such as her relationship to her religion. It felt more like a set of diary entries than a work where you really get to know someone. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jun 24, 2019 |
This book may well be the most raved about book I've picked up this year, commended by Barack Obama, Bill Gates and everybody in between, this book had some serious hype behind it.

This is a memoir written by Tara Westover and follows her life as someone who grew up in a devout Mormon survivalist family without any formal education, Tara did not step foot in a class room until she was 17 and up to that point had very limited knowledge on the world and its history. Her and her six siblings grew up working on her fathers junkyard in a wildly unsafe environment.
Her upbringing was brutal at times and made for difficult reading - the family did not believe in using hospitals or doctors and some of the injuries depicted are truly horrific, how they managed to survive through most of them is beyond me.
Tara also suffered at the hands of an abusive older brother and in my opinion an abusive father. It would have been very easy to present these people and abusive situations with an obvious one dimensional villain however Westover manages to humanise them in a remarkable way. Reading from her perspective and experiencing her conflicting opinions was at once incredibly moving and unsettling.

Tara's love of education and her drive to do well shine in this memoir and when she finally became Dr Tara Westover i was truly elated. I don't think I've ever been prouder of someone I've never met!

I was engrossed by this story and found the writing to be excellent and captivating - I highly recommend this! A beautifully poignant book and one that I imagine will stick with me for a long time. ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
This is a fascinating look at an alternative lifestyle that seems so unimaginable. Tara Westover writes of her life growing up in Idaho with a survivalist family. Her father didn't believe in public education, or government interference, or public health care. It is amazing Tara and her siblings survived their own childhood, though it could be debated how well they survived. Through sheer willpower and perseverance, Westover put herself through college, eventually obtaining a PhD. Her story recounts her childhood and what it took to change her situation: mentally, physically, and spirituality. It was a captivating read that I had trouble putting down. ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Jun 13, 2019 |
Book club read

This was not a book I would normally read but I’m glad I was pushed out of my comfort zone. ( )
  TheBookNookNC | Jun 12, 2019 |

Tara Westoverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svensson, PatrikCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past is beautiful because one never realises an emotion at the time. It expands later, & thus we don't have complete emotions about the present, only about the past. - Virginia Woolf
I believe finally, that education must be conceived as a continuing reconstruction of experience; that the process and the goal of education are one and the same thing. - John Dewey
For Tyler
My strongest memory is not a memory.
...I had finally begun to grasp something that should have been immediately apparent: that someone had opposed the great march toward equality; someone had been the person from whom freedom had been wrested. (p. 180)
...something shifted nonetheless. I had started on a path of awareness, had perceived something elemental about my brother, my father, myself. I had discerned the ways in which we had been sculpted by a tradition given to us by others, a tradition of which we were either willfully or accidentally ignorant. I had begun to understand that we had lent our voices to a discourse who sole purpose was to dehumanize and brutalize others--because nurturing that discourse was easier, because retaining power always feels like the way forward. (p. 180)
I had decided to study no history, but historians. I suppose my interest came from the sense of groundlessness I'd felt since learning about the Holocaust and the civil rights movement--since realizing that what a person knows about the past is limited, and will always be limited, to what they are told by others. I knew what it was to have a misconception corrected--a misconception of such magnitude that shifting it shifted the world. Now I needed to understand how the great gatekeepers of history had come to terms with their own ignorance and partiality. I thought that if I could accept that what they had written was not absolute but was the result of a biased process of conversation and revision, maybe I could reconcile myself with the fact that the history of most people agreed upon was not the history I had been taught. Dad could be wrong, and the great historians Carlyle and Macauley and Trevelyan could be wrong, but from the ashes of their dispute I could construct a world to live in. In knowing the ground was not ground at all, I hoped I could stand on it. (p. 238)
It's strange how you give the people you love so much power over you, I had written in my journal. ... He had defined me to myself, and there's no greater power than that. (p. 199)
I had been taught to read the words of men like Madison as a cast into which I ought to pour the plaster of my own mind, to be reshaped according to the contours of their faultless model. I read them to learn what to think, not how to think for myself. (p. 239)

Download This Book In Full Version For FREE Here:
An Amazon Best Book of February 2018: Tara Westover wasn’t your garden variety college student. When the Holocaust was mentioned in a history class, she didn’t know what it was (no, really). That’s because she didn’t see the inside of a classroom until the age of seventeen. Public education was one of the many things her religious fanatic father was dubious of, believing it a means for the government to brainwash its gullible citizens, and her mother wasn’t diligent on the homeschooling front. If it wasn’t for a brother who managed to extricate himself from their isolated—and often dangerous--world, Westover might still be in rural Idaho, trying to survive her survivalist upbringing. It’s a miraculous story she tells in her memoir Educated. For those of us who took our educations for granted, who occasionally fell asleep in large lecture halls (and inconveniently small ones), it’s hard to grasp the level of grit—not to mention intellect—required to pull off what Westover did. But eventually earning a PhD from Cambridge University may have been the easy part, at least compared to what she had to sacrifice to attain it. The courage it took to make that sacrifice was the truest indicator of how far she’d come, and how much she’d learned. Educated is an inspiring reminder that knowledge is, indeed, power. --Erin Kodicek, Amazon Book Review

"Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head-for-the-hills bag." In the summer she stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter she salvaged in her father's junkyard. The family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent. As a way out, Tara began to educate herself, learning enough mathematics and grammar to be admitted to Brigham Young University. Her quest for knowledge would transform her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home. With the acute insight that distinguishes all great writers, Tara Westover has crafted a universal coming-of-age story that gets to the heart of what an education offers: the perspective to see one's life through new eyes, and the will to change it."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible