dismiss

Highland Promise (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod)

by Alyson McLayne

Five boys destined to become Highland lairds are fostered together as brothers. Darach, Lachlan, Callum, Gavin and Kerr fight for their clans, for each other, and for their own true loves. When forced to choose between duty and honor... Darach MacKenzie vowed never again to let a woman near his heart after his betrothed betrayed him. It sparked an intense feud between his clan and the Frasers. With all-out war on the wind, Darach can't be distracted--not even by a sweet and charming lass who desperately needs his help. This Highland Laird will find a way to have both When Darach rescued Caitlin MacInnes from the clutches of vile Laird Fraser, she vowed to never let men or misery rule her life again. With Darach and the MacKenzie clan, Caitlin finally feels safe. But when Laird Fraser shows up to claim what's rightfully his, or go to war,Darach will have to use all his brawn and brains to protect Caitlin--even if it means losing his heart. The Sons of Gregor MacLeod Series: Highland Promise (Book 1) Highland Bride (Book 2) Highland Betrayal (Book 3) Highland Captive (Book 4) Highland Thief (Book 5) What People Are Saying About Highland Promise: "Suffused with witty banter, adventure and passion,Highland Promiseis a thrilling debut novel Scottish romance readers will fall in love with!"--ELIZA KNIGHT, USA Today bestselling author of the MacDougall Legacy series "Alyson McLayne heats up the Highlands in the Highland Promise."--AMANDA FORESTER, acclaimed author of My Highland Rebel "Heart warming and tender beyond measure, Highland Promisewill brighten your spirit."--MARY WINE, acclaimed author of Highland Hellion… (more)

I received a review copy for Celtic Dragon Book Reviews. All opinions are my own. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |
The first book in this series starts with a promising premise—a powerful Highland laird, Gregor MacLeod, strives for peace in the land by fostering a boy from each opposing clan, five lads in all. Raised together, they form the bond of brothers. Highland Promise follows the first boy, Darach MacKenzie—a man now and in charge of his own Keep. He’s been embroiled in a bitter feud with the Frasers ever since he was betrayed by a Fraser woman, so it bothers him little to snatch an abused woman from the clutches of Laird Fraser. Caitlin MacInnes is grateful to be free of her abductor, but while she plots to leave Scotland and search for her mother’s family in France, she doesn’t expect to lose her heart to her brawny savior. This delightful romance kept me up far past my bedtime. Darach and Caitlin have a smoldering chemistry, and I raced to the end for the happily ever after. I look forward to the next book! ( )
  KristyMcCaffrey | Aug 31, 2018 |
This book was sent to me as an ARC

I cannot express enough how much this book got under my skin and not in a good way. I have nothing against romance books or anything of the sort. I have read plenty of them in my time. Most of those books had strong women as the lead character. This book did not. I'm not sure how anyone could like the lead woman in this book. She was as dumb as a box of rocks. She needed constant saving and couldn't do anything for herself. Couldn't cook, clean, or really do anything other than please her laird in bed; that seemed the only thing she was good at. I tried to read this book as quickly as possible because I couldn't stand to have it in my possession for any longer. The only saving grace was the last hundred or so pages when the fighting finally commenced. At least that held my attention for more than two seconds.

My *favorite* part was when the lead woman thinks that she is possessed by a succubus because she kissed someone. Seriously? Also, the thinking of all of the men in this book that women can't do anything for themselves and need to be constantly led around by the nose because they'll mess everything up otherwise is such an outdated sentiment that it astounded me that this book was written by a women. I'm so glad to be done with this book and never have to read it again.

If you want a romance book with a strong female lead I suggest that you look elsewhere. This is not that in the least. ( )
  JillKenna | Nov 6, 2017 |
A brilliant start to a new series. Loved it! I can't wait for the next in this series. HIGHLAND PROMISE is a phenomenal debut story for this author. ( )
  CelticBookDragon | Nov 2, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Alyson McLayne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,873,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible