Ronaldo: The Reindeer Flying Academy

by Maxine Sylvester

433,400,686 (4.75)None

I don't have any children to read this book to, but that didn't stop me getting in the festive spirit by reading Ronaldo: The Reindeer Flying Academy. Not only is it written my Maxine Sylvester, she has illustrated it too with the cartoon style drawings adding something extra to the whole experience of the book.

I loved reading about Ronaldo as he goes off to flying school but first he has to negotiate the obstacle course of Dad's cooking and then attempt to escape without being lumbered with wearing the latest embarrassing knitted hat from Grandad. Ronaldo gets teased in flying school by the other reindeers, although his good friend Rudi and his cousin Cupid are around to give him moral support. When The Endurance Challenge comes round everyone expects tough guy Dasher to win but Grandad taught Ronaldo to BELIEVE and we all know that when you believe, miracles can happen.

This is an absolutely delightful Christmas story for both young and old. Ronaldo isn't so much an underdog as an underdeer and we will all cheer for him as he pursues his destiny of becoming one of Santa's reindeer.

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion. ( )
  Michelle.Ryles | Mar 9, 2020 |
Begun and done...almost as fast as Ronaldo can fly!

A great wintery addition to kiddo and adult reading lists alike this summer to beat the heat. In this, the first book of the series, we meet Ronaldo and friends as they tackle the everyday challenges that being a reindeer presents (including bullies!)...including the desire to be the BEST, to be NOTICED, to be one of Santa's reindeer! But first...there's school...after all, they don't learn to be the best flyers in the world by simply being born, though some do have a natural ability and when you combine that with some GREAT advice from your elders, there's simply nothing standing in your way except yourself...and maybe a few too many bath bombs, just sayin'.

I had a lot of fun meeting Ronaldo and the entire cast of characters in this high flying adventure! Can't wait for round two! ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
I just loved this book!! As we know, reindeer typically go hand-in-hand with Santa Claus and Christmas time. We never think about the other 364 days of the year. Maxine pulled back the curtain, so we can watch as Ronaldo and his friends learn, grow, and reach for the stars.

As a child, there is much to love about this story. Ronaldo is a lovable character they can relate to. He goes to school with many of his reindeer friends. He is confronted by a bully. He has a poster of his idol on his bedroom wall. He has a family who loves him and gently guides him as he grows up... and a mom who is insistent upon Ronaldo eating all his carrots.

As a parent, there is just as much to love. There is the obvious, the opportunity to read a fun and engaging story to her child. Then there are life lessons sprinkled throughout. Self-esteem is a huge lesson. You are as you perceive you are. My favorite, though, is when Ronaldo learns the hard way that “this is what happens when you do (and don’t) listen to your mother.” Kids will be kids. We continue to love them no matter what. ( )
  Bibliodiction | Apr 28, 2018 |

Current Discussions

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,122,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible