The Nightly News

by Jonathan Hickman

As an act of violence spirals out of control to encompass the entirety of the news media, a cult has emerged from the errors and retractions that have ruined careers, marriages and even lives. Under direction from his cult master, The Hand leads an army of followers committed to revolution, willing to die for their cause.… (more)

While I agree with much of what was said and the art was stylishly good, the format was so annoying, I found myself disliking it very much. The commentary was done in info-graphs and the dialog was punched out in bad poetry slam.

I know the information given isn't conspiracy, I've seen too much evidence to the contrary. But, damn that was hard to read. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Mar 29, 2019 |
Really great exploration of the media consolidation. Over the top but worth reading and more importantly thinking about. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |

You'll be worried you'll be put on some sort of terrorist watch list just for reading this, but it's worth it. A scathing look at the shoddy state of modern day journalism. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
The Nightly News - the debut of comics upstart Jonathan Hickman, is a six issue epic about two cults going to war, the corrupt media that brainwashes us, and people who've been brainwashed to destroy the corrupt media.

Full of interesting statistics, beautiful panels, violence, jokes, and intrigues galore, The Nightly News is a must for fans of smart comics. ( )
2 vote Ain_Sophist | Feb 28, 2009 |
Another classy adult graphic novel, collecting the six issue series by Jonathan Hickman. The Nightly News tells of a subversive terrorist organisation called The Voice that targets journalists and aims to expose corporate media corruption and bias. Pitched as Fight Club meets Network, it hits the bullseye from the first chapter. Hickman's story benefits from a depth of real world research that cleverly blurs the border between fiction and reality (I had to google some of his facts to see which were true) and a slyly self-referential narrative style (like a 21st Century Stan Lee) that keeps the book from becoming too bogged down in its message.

Read the full review at my blog. ( )
  rolhirst | Feb 20, 2009 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,167,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible