The Ruin (2018)

by Dervla McTiernan

Series: Cormac Reilly (1)

Cormac Reilly is about to reopen the case that took him twenty years to forget ... The stunning debut novel from your new favourite crime writer. 'TheRuin is a terrific debut and a rare gem:a compelling crime thriller that delivers depth as well as twists' Sara Foster, author of The Hidden HoursGalway 1993: Young Garda Cormac Reilly is called to a scene he will never forget. Two silent, neglected children - fifteen-year-old Maude and five-year-old Jack - are waiting for him at a crumbling country house. Upstairs, their mother lies dead.Twenty years later, a body surfaces in the icy black waters of the River Corrib. At first it looks like an open-and-shut case, but then doubt is cast on the investigation's findings - and the integrity of thepolice. Cormac is thrown back into the cold case that has haunted him his entire career - what links the two deaths, two decades apart? As he navigates his way through police politics and the ghosts of the past, Detective Reilly uncovers shocking secrets and finds himself questioning who among his colleagues he can trust.What really did happen in that house where he first met Maude and Jack? The Ruin draws us deep into the dark heart of Ireland and asks who will protect you when the authorities can't - or won't.'A deliciously complicated police procedural ... Fans of Tana French will love McTiernan's expertly plotted, complex web of secrets that refuse to stay hidden' Karen Dionne, author of The Marsh King's Daughter.… (more)
Recently added byPABR, Arina7000, ToriaD, JoeB1934

The story has an intricate plot and many characters, so many, in fact, that I had to flip back several times to keep them all straight. It's a compelling mystery set in Ireland which intertwines two separate crimes committed across a 20- year time span. Detective Reilly's instincts tell him there is more to these two cases than an apparent suicide. Cormac's character has some history which followed him from Dublin to the small town of Galway. Galway has a history as well. There are rumors of corruption within the force making Cormac's job all the more difficult. Overall, a fairly good police procedural. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 21, 2021 |
Well written, interesting, hard to put down. Reminded me of Adrian McKinty's Detective Sean Duffy series which is also excellent.

2nd read- I had forgotten more of this than I would have expected, but to be fair I've read literally hundreds of books since then. Things came back as I went along, but there were still some surprises. It's well crafted and held my interest even during this second reading. A solid detective mystery. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Perhaps a bit too dark & complicated for me but includes every issue you've ever heard about happening in Ireland over the course of the 20th century. Will read more in the series. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
4/5 ( )
  wayfaring_stranger | Oct 12, 2020 |
Shouldn't Blame the Medium
Review of the Blackstone Audio audiobook edition (2018) listened via Audible Plus (boo!)

I was going to score this a 2 but then thought that would be unfair on the book to rate it based on my bad experience with Audible Plus, so a 3 is my compromise.

Audible ended its free Audible Originals program in September and now provides what is called the Audible Plus service for members. You can stream their offered books (Originals & others) on their app but you can't download them. So it is something like a rental service where you don't "own" the books. Anyway, this has proved frustrating for me as the app seems to freeze up on a regular basis for no apparent reason. I did manage to get through the book however. I've since attempted Cormac Reilly #2 The Scholar also via Audible Plus but haven't been able to get past the first ten minutes before it freezes. So that probably means I'll be doing less Audible in the future aside from my monthly credits which are downloadable audiobooks.

Anyway, The Ruin was ok, although it seemed little investigation was going on and the efforts of the lead were hampered by either incompetent or criminal intent by fellow police and superiors. A depressing view from that angle and also in the plot which dealt with the results of child neglect and of a nurtured child pyschopathy. The big bad seemed fairly obvious early on but it took a very long time for Reilly to catch on.

The reason for the title and for the idyllic lakeside forested scene on the cover image were not at all apparent to me.

The narration performance by Aiofe McMahon was excellent in all voices. ( )
  alanteder | Sep 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,925,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible