The Ruin: The gripping crime thriller you…

The Ruin: The gripping crime thriller you won't want to miss (The Cormac… (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Dervla McTiernan (Author)

Galway 1993: Young Garda Cormac Reilly is called to a scene he will never forget. Two silent, neglected children - fifteen-year-old Maude and five-year-old Jack - are waiting for him at a crumbling country house. Upstairs, their mother lies dead. Twenty years later, a body surfaces in the icy black waters of the River Corrib. At first it looks like an open-and-shut case, but then doubt is cast on the investigation's findings - and the integrity of the police. Cormac is thrown back into the cold case that has haunted him his entire career - what links the two deaths, two decades apart? As he navigates his way through police politics and the ghosts of the past, Detective Reilly uncovers shocking secrets and finds he questioning who among his colleagues he can trust. What really did happen in that house where he first met Maude and Jack? The Ruin draws us deep into the dark heart of Ireland and asks who will protect you when the authorities can't - or won't.… (more)
Member:MrLloydSpandex
Title:The Ruin: The gripping crime thriller you won't want to miss (The Cormac Reilly Series)
Authors:Dervla McTiernan (Author)
Info:Sphere (2018), 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2020, Your library

The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan (2018)

I was told this is similar to Tana French, and it certainly was. I really enjoyed it. I plan on reading the sequel. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Really more like 3.5... maybe even 4. I'm having a hard time deciding.... I'll sleep on it. 😮 ( )
  avanders | Nov 17, 2019 |
What an amazing story, a compulsive mystery full of well-developed plot lines and fully formed characters that twist and turn and keep you guessing until they beautifully mesh together at the end. This is the first in the Cormac Reilly series. Cormac is the new man at the Galway police station, having recently moved from Dublin to be with his partner Emma who has a job in Galway. He was quite the successful detective in Dublin but hasn’t received the warmest of welcomes into the clique in Galway. He’s been given “make work” and unimportant assignments, but when he is assigned the cold case of an accidental overdose he discovered twenty years ago things start to get murky. He knows something is not right at the Galway police station but he doesn’t know what.

Author Dervla McTiernan has made an excellent start to what I hope will be a long series of books featuring Cormac Reilly. He is an interesting man and more than capable detective, Galway is full of secrets and compelling characters with hidden pasts, and his relationship with Emma begs to be discussed in more depth in a future book.

I was fortunate to listen to an audiobook version of The Ruin. Narrator Aoife McMahon is incredible, the perfect reader for this dark, fast-paced police procedural. She gave the story such life that I didn’t want to stop listening. Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for my honest review. Again, an amazing story with an amazing narrator. This is a series I will continue to listen to. The Scholar, the second in this series, narrated again by the wonderful Aoife McMahon, is up next. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Sep 28, 2019 |
I keep trying to read police procedurals, but unfortunately, they seem to bore me now. This one caught my eye for the title. I thought the prologue was very engaging, but the story seemed to veer off course after that, and the ruin that so caught my interest at the beginning was not as important a part of the story as I wanted it to be (neither the house nor the people in it). I think this would have been a much better book if it had focused on the Jack's sister, Maude, instead of his girlfriend. She was probably the most intriguing character of everyone in the book and was relegated to the background way too much. I also found the solution to the mystery to be rather unbelievable (and convenient), and it seemed to sidestep altogether an in-depth examination of human character and behavior that I think would have made for a stronger plot. All in all, this was okay but blah for me, and while I was reading it, I was never really excited to return to it. ( )
  sturlington | Sep 13, 2019 |
Seiner Frau zuliebe gibt Cormac Reilly seinen Posten bei der Spezialeinheit in Dublin fĂŒr den normalen Polizeidienst in Galway auf. Das Team ist feindselig und man ĂŒberlĂ€sst ihm nur ungelöste AltfĂ€lle. Nur mit Danny, den er auf der Polizeischule kennenlernte, versteht er sich einigermaßen, aber auch der kann sich keinen Reim darauf machen, weshalb man Cormac so kaltstellt. Ein Selbstmord weckt Erinnerungen an einen Fall 20 Jahre zuvor: Cormac war dem nun verstorbenen junge Mann damals begegnet, als dieser noch ein Kind war und er ihn und seine Schwester Maud aus unsĂ€glichen VerhĂ€ltnissen holte. Scheinbar hat die Gewalterfahrung aus der Kindheit doch ihre Spuren hinterlassen. Aber so einfach ist der Fall nicht, vor allem will Maud nicht an diese Theorie glauben. Zwei Jahrzehnte war sie spurlos verschwunden, doch nun ist sie wieder in Galway. Besteht zwischen dem Tod ihres Bruders und ihrem plötzlichen Auftauchen etwa ein Zusammenhang?

Dervla McTiernan stellt gleich mit ihrem Debut unter Beweis, dass sie es mit den bekannten irischen Krimi Autoren aufnehmen kann und inzwischen auch bei uns bekannten Namen wie Adrian McKinty, John Banville/Benjamin Black, John Connolly oder Catherine Ryan Howard in nichts nachsteht. Nicht nur der Fall – oder besser die FĂ€lle, die geschickt mit einander verwoben werden - hat es in sich, vor allem konnte die Autorin mich mit dem spannenden menschlichen Zusammenspiel innerhalb der Polizei ĂŒberzeugen.

Obwohl Galway die sechstgrĂ¶ĂŸte Stadt Irlands ist, erweckt der Handlungsort doch eher den Eindruck eines Dorfes oder einer Kleinstadt. Alle kennen sich und jeder weiß irgendein schmutziges Geheimnis des anderen. In diesem Umfeld ist es nicht leicht fĂŒr Außenseiter Fuß zu fassen und das Vertrauen zu gewinnen. Mit seinem Erfolg in der Hauptstadt sind die Schwierigkeiten fĂŒr Cormac umso mehr vorprogrammiert. Die AtmosphĂ€re, die McTiernan erschafft, legt sich ĂŒber die ganze Handlung, ein ungutes GefĂŒhl, dass noch irgendetwas im Busch ist, vom dem Cormac nichts ahnt, das aber entscheidend sein wird, lĂ€sst einem nicht los.

Besonders positiv ist mir aufgefallen, wie widersprĂŒchlich und vielschichtig die Frauenfiguren in diesem Roman erscheinen. Statt auf plakative Schablonen zurĂŒckzugreifen, hat die Autorin sehr interessante Persönlichkeiten geschaffen, die den spannenden Krimi deutlich bereichern. Die Handlung wird geschickt aufgebaut und die Spannung steigert sich kontinuierlich bis zum großen Knall.

Ein rundum ĂŒberzeugender Auftakt fĂŒr die Reihe um DI Cormac Reilly, bei dem die Autorin auf saubere Ermittlungen und nicht auf Technik oder Zufall bei der Lösung des Falles setzt. ( )
  miss.mesmerized | Sep 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible