A Short History of Indians in Canada: Stories

by Thomas King

A collection of twenty short stories about contemporary Native Americans and historical native-white relationships.

Thomas King is an artful satirist and my favorite stories in this collection are the ones that cut to the quick of historical injustices like "The Baby in the Airmail Box" or "Where the Borg Are" in ways that are sharp, like really sharp, and unique. He points the finger by changing the narrative, if ever so slightly, like the adoption of racial minorities by whites, and forces you, the reader to conceptualize the absurdity of the past and our current situation. King's writing falls a bit flat when he is playing it straight, "States to Avoid" and "Fire and Rain." Part of the reason is because of broad strokes, there doesn't seem to be enough compelling detail in these works to give the character's much weight to the reader. I would say, probably just a failing of the collection, that they are also jarring in the company of the main body of work in this collection, mostly humor or folktales. ( )
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
These stories are great. Reminded me of Vonnegut, for its simplicity, humor, and wit. Great for anyone interested in First Nation / Canada issues :) ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
These stories make me laugh and squirm uncomfortably. They make me think and feel. They give me glimpses into the native North American experience, and a clearer perspective on the curious state of modern North American society. They make me want to read more of Thomas King's work. ( )
  bookherd | Sep 17, 2015 |
"Thomas King's short fiction at its best. Right from the title, it wrongfoots
the reader and rattles assumptions." --back cover
  collectionmcc | Mar 6, 2018 |

Thomas Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gagné, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saint-Martin, LoriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,436,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible