What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

What If It's Us (edition 2018)

by Becky Albertalli (Author)

Series: What If It’s Us (1)

Told in two voices, when Arthur, a summer intern from Georgia, and Ben, a native New Yorker, meet it seems like fate, but after three attempts at dating fail they wonder if the universe is pushing them together or apart.
Member:SachaLamb
Title:What If It's Us
Authors:Becky Albertalli (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2018), 448 pages

Work Information

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

Really, really, really love this story. It made my heart swoon and ache. I felt hopeful and crushed. All those feelings of first loves, young love, figuring out love...and trying to find your way back to it once it's lost. ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
I was absolutely in love with this story at the beginning. It was so cute and funny! And I was thinking, here goes another 5-star LGBT YA book!

But then they actually found each other. And - ouch. It reaaaally went downhill from there.
There was no... attraction between them. No chemistry. I mean, it is written like it IS there because the plot is moving and they are supposedly smitten but... HOW?? Where is the connection?? They just don't... click.
I was even thinking maybe they were supposed to realize they are not good for each other, go separate ways, and then meet again in a few years?.. But nope.
At that point my opinion of the book went to a (very generous) 3 star rating.

The end though. The end was kinda good? Not too romantically saccharine, not too unbelievable. A bit sad maybe, but in a good way, in a very mature way. It made me hope (again) that they would find each other again in the future, when they're both older and slightly different, and maybe then there'll be all the chemistry and attraction and connection in the world.
I'm weirdly rooting for them :)

P.S. I loved Ben but Arthur was just driving me crazy most of the time. Seriously, kudos to Ben for finding Arthur's 'no chill energy' cute, lol. ( )
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |
This book was a roller coaster, but I'm not sure if I mean that in a good way or not. I really enjoy Becky Albertalli's books, specifically her writing style. Her stories are always so wholesome and they make you feel a range of emotions. However, I think that was the problem with this book. For every cute, feel good moment, there was a moment that was frustrating and made me roll my eyes. In general, the plot was adorable and it was a classic YA story. I think it would have been better if it had been a bit shorter and more condensed. I do recommend it to anyone looking for their next YA book. I would give it 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  kathrynwithak7 | Nov 24, 2021 |
What If It's Us is an amazing and refreshing new take on meet cute, YA romance! Told from alternating points of view, sometimes across the same event and sometimes jumping to the next day, the narration is lively and interesting. The different perspectives are clearly distinct and full of their characters' emotions and different worldviews, and the characterization for both narrator characters is consistent and clear. All of the characters feel unique, fleshed out, and realistic. Arthur and Ben are amazing characters, but even the supporting characters are well thought out, feeling rich with life. The plot is fun, funny, and while not entirely unpredictable or surprising, it manages to avoid the stale, stereotypical YA romance plot enough to keep it feeling fresh and engaging. The authors don't shy away from that most important aspect of any teenager's budding relationship - sex- but also keep it appropriate for the target age group, and the focus is clearly on feelings over graphic sex acts. Even the way the different narrators approach this topic is well defined and distinct between them, fitting into their characterizations in general. Overall, the only issue I had with this book was that the sequel was not yet out when I read it - something soon to be resolved! A clear five out of five read, and one I cannot recommend highly enough for anyone interested in MLM YA romance. ( )
  gadosiahe | Nov 19, 2021 |
This book was heart-wrenching. What If It's Us is an LGBT romance between Ben, a Catholic Puerto-Rican New York Native, and Arthur, a white Jewish Broadway loving southern boy with ADHD completing an internship in New York city. A chance encounter, wrong place wrong time romance between two very different boys who try desperately to make it work. I read this book in one afternoon, and I still feel my heartstrings tugging when I think of the love Ben and Arthur shared. It is a realistic opposites attract romance that deals with love, family, identity, and, of course, relationships with the people you like.

SPOILER WARNING:
It was such a well written book, but I detested the ending. It was obvious the two boys liked each other, so them breaking up and pretending to be just friends because they were too scared to try a long distance relationship is not something I personally agree with.

With a story so intense in identity, it would be a great addition to a classroom bookshelf solely for the examples it gives middle grade children. It is a bit advanced, but not too out of reach, as it is still YA. ( )
  Francesca_Fergason | Nov 18, 2021 |

Kröning, ChristelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamae-Bouhon, MathildeTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Brooks Sherman,
an agent of the universe who brought us together.
And Andrew Eliopulos and Donna Bray,
who made our universe bigger.
I am not a New Yorker, and I want to go home.

Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.

Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.

But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?

Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.

Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.

But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?

But what if it is?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,123,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible