dismiss

Not the Girls You're Looking For by…

Not the Girls You're Looking For (edition 2018)

by Aminah Mae Safi (Author)

Lulu Saad doesn't need your advice, thank you very much. She's got her three best friends and nothing can stop her from conquering the known world. Sure, for half a minute she thought she'd nearly drowned a cute guy at a party, but he was totally faking it. And fine, yes, she caused a scene during Ramadan. It's all under control. Ish. Except maybe this time she's done a little more damage than she realizes. And if Lulu can't find her way out of this mess soon, she'll have to do more than repair friendships, family alliances, and wet clothing. She'll have to go looking for herself.… (more)
Member:marineko
Title:Not the Girls You're Looking For
Authors:Aminah Mae Safi (Author)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2018), 336 pages
Tags:Young Adult, Contemporary, Bullying, Friendship, Arab Americans, Muslim Rep, Prejudice, LC - 20200326, Shelf MG-B-04

Not the Girls You're Looking For by Aminah Mae Safi

Do mind though that when I say unforgettable I am talking about my feels during the read. It doesn’t mean that I remember ALL. There were some dialogues and references I couldn’t understand but I still loved the read. I can’t even remember every character especially her relatives. But I love the characters whose names I could still recall. Dropping names!

Here’s Lulu. I’m pretty sure this book wouldn’t exist without her. She’s got insane friends though she prefers to call them ah/les. She’s full of spirit. She handles everything by herself even in times when it’s obvious that she needs someone to lean one. That’s stressful and I’m here wondering why she’s bringing stress to herself. She’s also open to her family about some stuff like staying out at night and getting on pills. A whole new level of, let’s just stay, family bonding.

Then there’s Audrey. She’s a friend of Lulu. One of the a/holes Lulu was talking about. She’s blunt. She can’t filter her words and I love her for that. But I also kinda hate her for being so close minded especially to those times her friends needed her. She’s the group’s lady.

Let’s not forget about Lo. No one, and I repeat -NO ONE, could make fun of Lo. You can’t even call her names or she’ll whisper something to you and regret you were ever born. She likes chasing terrible things. She also likes meddling with things she shouldn’t meddle. I didn’t love her that much but she’s still precious.

Plus, Emma. Emma, to me, is like the perfect one. She’s quiet but her words are heard. She looks like she’s the forgiving one. She’s awesome at revelation at the end of the book, too. Although she’s too quiet to appear too much on the book, she has made her presence and absence felt.

That’s the four a/holes. I love the four of them, I swear. There’s also James. Bangs or Diana. Matt. The friendship side of this book is just too strong to ignore.

Now I surely didn’t get the title, that’s just me not looking at the right direction. I also don’t want to discuss heavy issues in this review. ( )
  Mervilyn | Sep 2, 2018 |

Mervilyn | Sep 2, 2018 |
I love Lulu and her messy, beautiful life.

This book does not have a twisty plot or a grand reveal, but it's filled with real characters that will grab your heartstrings. I found Lulu so relatable, the way she carries her passion and rage right on the surface. Between her complicated friendships and a faux pas with her family that can never be fully forgiven, Lulu finds herself in deep trouble.

Lulu and her friends all have big personalities. Her brothers are fantastic, her relationship with her parents is interesting and real. And I love the friendship Lulu has with Matt. It's really nice to see a guy and a girl in a book with a platonic friendship, just meeting for beignets after school. The details in this book really bring it to life. From Monty Python and the Holy Grail to a powerful scene where Lulu changes her mind and says "no" in an intimate encounter (LADIES. You CAN change your mind. No means no, no matter what point in the encounter you feel that way), I thought this book was really impressive and relatable and I just plain loved it.

Aminah Mae Safi's writing style works perfectly for me. I like her snap and wit and the flow of her writing, and I'm really looking forward to her next book. Really, the only thing that bothered me personally was the format of the book? Which is actually fine, but the font was a little different than I'm used to? It took a few chapters for me to adjust. But that's how much I liked this - the only thing that I didn't love about it was the font? That's pretty good. :) ( )
  Morteana | Jul 26, 2018 |

Aminah Mae Safi is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible