The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series) by…

The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series) (edition 2018)

by Douglas Preston (Author)

Series: Gideon Crew (5)

Don't miss the this exciting, New York Times bestselling adventure from Preston & Child, in which the secrets of a mysterious ancient tablet may point the way to untold treasure--or unspeakable danger. "I just want to be crystal clear about this: if it has value, we're gonna steal it. Are you with me?" Effective Engineering Solutions has been inexplicably shut down and the head of the company, Eli Glinn, has all but vanished. Fresh off a diagnosis that gives him only months to live, Gideon Crew is contacted by one of his coworkers at EES, Manuel Garza, who tells him the two have mere hours to collect their belongings before the office closes forever. After years of dedicated service and several high-risk missions, theirs seems like the most ignoble of terminations-until Gideon and Garza happen upon an incredible discovery. After centuries of silence, a code-breaking machine at EES has cracked the long-awaited translation of a centuries-old stone tablet, the Phaistos Disc, that dates back to an otherwise completely unknown, ancient civilization. The mysteries of the message itself hint at incredible treasures, and perhaps even a world-altering secret. No one remains at EES to take on this most remarkable mission but Gideon and Garza. The two agree to solve the mystery of the disc's message and split the spoils: the perfect parting gift their employer doesn't know he has given. What lies at the end of the trail may save Gideon's life-or bring it to a sudden, shocking close. As Gideon and Garza soon discover, some missions are more dangerous than others. But as Gideon has proved again and again, there's no such thing as too great a risk when you're living on borrowed time.… (more)
Member:LittleBookishInkblot
Title:The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
Authors:Douglas Preston (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2018), 320 pages
Collections:Bookstore Finds, Goodreads Collection
Tags:to-read

The Pharoah Key by Douglas Preston

Is this it? The last of Gideon Crew series?
I enjoyed this book especially towards the middle and ending, but unlike Beyond the Ice Limit, this book wasn't as exciting and the plot of treasure hunting in Egypt wasn't unique. I felt like I've seen too many movies or read books like this before. Very much like Clive Cussler novels. BUT, the tribe part was good, and although I dislike Garza at the beginning he came through for me. AND, this felt like Garza book than Gideon. The ending left questions unanswered which pissed me off a little. 😊 ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Had hoped for more from a series finale ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Had hoped for more from a series finale ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
The Pharaoh Key is a wonderful adventure book that takes place in the 21st century but deals with ancient Egyptian culture. The characters are believable, the adventure is believable and the conclusion is somewhat expected. The main characters through their search of an ancient Egyptian place discover themselves. A five star book that is highly recommended. ( )
  lbswiener | Sep 7, 2019 |
The Gideon Crew series is Douglas Preston and Lincon Child's other series besides the Pendergast series. I'm much more familiar with the Pendergast series (having read all the books published) while I have only read Beyond the Ice Limit before I read The Pharaoh Key. Still, it's Douglas Preston and Lincon Child and I just love reading anything they write (together or separately).

If you have read Beyond the Ice Limit then you know that Gideon Crew is living on borrowed time. He's dying and there is nothing to do about it. Well, he could go out with a bang while haunting a lost treasure with Manuel Gaza his former coworker at EES (Effective Engineering Solutions that has now shut down by Eli Glinn, its creator). So, off they go to Egypt to find the location that has now been revealed on The Phaistos Disc. And hopefully, survive the journey...

Eli Glinn is hardly in this book, it's Gideon and Gaza (and a fellow traveler that shows up later) and I like Gideon although I found Gaza to be a bit trying in this book. Still, I kind of miss Pendergast. Wouldn't it be great if he showed up in this series?

Storywise is this book not as thrilling as Beyond the Ice Limit. I never really felt truly pulled into the story. Don't take me wrong I enjoy the book, it's good and the pace is even. It's just that it felt so safe. I was never worried about what would happen to Gideon nor Gaza. It felt like "Oh they will be saved in the last minute" all through the book. And, nothing really surprised me, the book just felt ... too safe. I would have loved more suspense, or at least felt the story gripping me more. I liked it, and I want to read more and hopefully, the next book will rock my boat a bit more!

I want to thank Grand Central Publishing for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,199,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible