Anna in the Tropics by Nilo Cruz

Anna in the Tropics (edition 2003)

by Nilo Cruz

2054102,175 (3.77)18
"Anna in the Tropics is a poignant and poetic new play set in 1929 Florida in a Cuban-American cigar factory, where cigars are still rolled by hand and "lectors" are employed to educate and entertain the workers. The arrival of a new lector is a cause for celebration, but when he begins to read aloud from Anna Karenina, he unwittingly becomes a catalyst in the lives of his avid listeners, for whom Tolstoy, the tropics and the American dream prove a volatile combination."--Jacket.… (more)
Member:NEOFUT
Title:Anna in the Tropics
Authors:Nilo Cruz
Info:Theatre Communications Group (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 84 pages
Tags:Plays

Anna in the Tropics by Nilo Cruz

Reading a play is never as good as watching a play.

A combination of a cultural history lesson and the every day drama in a family trying to run a business. For the most part, I really enjoyed it but towards the end, there was an event that was implied but not confirmed (although this might come from an actor's portrayal) and a somewhat inexplicable act. The story ends but does not fully feel finished. At least not for all the characters. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
A new lector comes to a cigar factory in Tampa in 1929 and upends the status quo as he reads Anna Karenina to the workers as they make cigars. Cruz's language flows magically. A beautiful, tragic story. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jun 11, 2018 |
This book was my introduction to the idea of a "lector"--someone who was paid to be in a cigar factory as a reader, spending days reading works of literature to factory workers. The beauty and the worth of the idea coming into clash with machinery and new technology is enough to be found fascinating to begin with (in my eyes), but Cruz combines this historical moment with drama and frighteningly realistic character (along with great writing) to make a memorable and heartbreaking play. The integration of Anna Karenina into the text brings another level to the text, as well, whether you've read Tolstoy or not. In the end, simply, the text comes to life in various ways. My instinct is to say that this is why we read, and that this is why we write, put simply and beautifully into words. This is worth reading, worth remembering, worth passing on. ( )
2 vote whitewavedarling | Apr 8, 2009 |
I've seen this play performed, in an abridged one hour version, once before. I hated it, and now I know why.

This play is beautifully written, and should never be performed except in its entirety. The characters of Juan Julian, Cheche, Conchita, and Marela, among others, are too rich to pare down. I put off reading this one for a long time, but I highly recommend it to others. A great play. ( )
  cinesnail88 | Mar 14, 2008 |

First Pulitzer Prize winning drama with an entirely Latino cast.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible