The Monk: A Romance (Penguin Classics) by…

The Monk: A Romance (Penguin Classics) (original 1796; edition 1998)

by Matthew Lewis (Author), Christopher MacLachlan (Editor)

3,547772,539 (3.8)2 / 399
`The Monk was so highly popular that it seemed to create an epoch in our literature', wrote Sir Walter Scott.Set in the sinister monastery of the Capuchins in Madrid, The Monk is a violent tale of ambition, murder, and incest. The great struggle between maintaining monastic vows and fulfilling personal ambitions leads its main character, the monk Ambrosio, to temptation and the breaking of his vows, thento sexual obsession and rape, and finally to murder in order to conceal his guilt.Inspired by German horror romanticism and the work of Ann Radcliffe, Lewis produced his masterpiece at the age of nineteen. It contains many typical Gothic elements - seduction in a monastery, lustful monks, evil Abbesses, bandits and beautiful heroines. But, as the Introduction to this newedition shows, Lewis also played with convention, ranging from gruesome realism to social comedy, and even parodied the genre in which he was writing.… (more)
Member:Marytudor
Title:The Monk: A Romance (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Matthew Lewis (Author)
Other authors:Christopher MacLachlan (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (1998), Edition: New Ed, 416 pages

The Monk by Matthew Lewis (1796)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: Both texts share the notion of the duplicity of man, and study how society and social roles can imprison our most primitive urges.
    The Devil in Love by Jacques Cazotte (Jannes)
    Jannes: The Monk is generally considered to be heavily influenced by Le Diable amoureux, and the novels share several themes, most obviously the idea of the devil in the form of a seductive woman.
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)

English (71)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  All languages (77)
Selling your soul to Satan is a tantalizing premise. So I expected the Monk to be: an exciting tale of fighting temptation from the greatest seducers; keeping your virtues from corruption and sin. With some hope, I expected this book would alleviate the disappointment I had with the The Pillars of the Earth ─ Ken Follett. But no, this is another disappointment; perhaps I'm not the target audience.
The biggest issue is the length. Long convoluted sections are common. The selling point i.e. the monk's corruption, only appear in the latter half.
I read through the prolix text and was rewarded with an interesting story. How the monk showed its wicked side was exciting; Satan didn't corrupt the monk, but merely revealed its nature.
However, I cannot say it was worth it. I shouldn't have to torture myself to get to the point of the book. But maybe this complains are unfair, the book is from 1796, and maybe as cared little for the subplot ─ especially the romance — I may have missed something. ( )
  Unmoved-Mover | Aug 15, 2020 |
Filled with melodrama, ridiculousness, and ghosts. I loved it!

It has a great moral that is still useful today-Be pious because you are a good person, not because you think you're better than everyone else. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Ok this book is so great- it starts off kinda slow a you're like yeah yeah a monk, blah blah picking up girls at church, but then it escalates...and really escalates ... And suddenly HOLYSHIT THE ENDING.

Also I love Satan.

The best last chapter of a book of all time. ( )
  locriian | May 4, 2020 |
A late 18th century Gothic "horror." To sum the book up in a word: sex! Monks and nuns having all kinds of illicit sex, even with demons. I can tell you that I read every single one of the 263 pages and I probably only made connections about 50% of the time. This book is character heavy and plot thin. It was difficult for me to relate the characters to each other. Lewis does make for a tidy ending though as the evil monk Ambrosio and his hench-lady, the Prioress, are executed. I guess there is nothing new under the sun because this book had "date" rape drugs. 263 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Apr 28, 2020 |
A fun read and shocking that such content was written in 1796! I do prefer Ann Radcliffe with the explained supernatural. Her response to Lewis’s The Monk was The Italian and I preferred that volume. But, my time was not ill-spent with this crazy book! A fun beach read! ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |

Praz, MarioContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Somnia, terrores magicos, miracula,sagas,
Nocturnos lemures, portentaque.
                  HORAT

Dreams, magic terrors, spells of mighty power,
Witches, and ghosts who rove at midnight hour.
Scarcely had the abbey-bell tolled for five minutes, and already was the church of the Capuchins thronged with auditors.
None sleep so profoundly, as those who are determined not to wake.
An Author, whether good or bad, or between both, is an Animal whom every body is privileged to attack, For though All are not able to write books, all conceive themselves able to judge them.
Agnes! Agnes! Thou art mine! / Agnes! Agnes! I am thine! / In my veins while blood shall roll / Thou art mine! / I am thine! / Thine thy body! / Thine my soul!
Raymond! Raymond! Thou art mine! / Raymond! Raymond! I am thine! / In my veins while blood shall roll / I am thine! / Thou art mine! / Mine thy body! / Mine thy soul!
Although some early editions give the title as "Ambrosio, or the Monk," both the first edition and the overwhelming majority of later editions give the give merely as "The Monk". See the facsimile of the first edition's title-page in the 1952 Grove Press reprint.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436030, 0141191961, 0141199466

Valancourt Books

An edition of this book was published by Valancourt Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,911,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible