The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by…

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (edition 2019)

by Stuart Turton (Author)

'Somebody's going to be murdered at the ball tonight. It won't appear to be a murder and so the murderer won't be caught. Rectify that injustice and I'll show you the way out.'It is meant to be a celebration but it ends in tragedy. As fireworks explode overhead, Evelyn Hardcastle, the young and beautiful daughter of the house, is killed.But Evelyn will not die just once. Until Aiden - one of the guests summoned to Blackheath for the party - can solve her murder, the day will repeat itself, over and over again. Every time ending with the fateful pistol shot.The only way to break this cycle is to identify the killer. But each time the day begins again, Aiden wakes in the body of a different guest. And someone is determined to prevent him ever escaping Blackheath ...… (more)
Member:kwright2528
Title:The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
Authors:Stuart Turton (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2019), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages

Work Information

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

English (240)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (245)
3,6 stars

It's not easy to rate a book that's well-written and has a pretty unique plot, when you don't particularly like the way it's been written and it doesn't really make you feel anything.

Great read for when you have hankering for an excellent mystery and aren't too worried about the characters or the writing style. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |

Stuart Turton - The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle: While I can’t remember the ending, I remember the swervy path to that ending (and means I get to read it again). #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Nov 20, 2022 |
Couldn't finish. It just kept repeating over and over. I guess I just didn't appreciate the format and concept. ( )
  tjasqwren | Oct 17, 2022 |
At first this was a slog and I didn't care much about the main character and his amnesia. Then the first twist came and now I did want to know what came next - but it was still a bit of a slog. The plot is very *full*: there are a lot of characters to keep track of, and a lot of secrets and scandals and general unpleasantness, and then the time-travel keeps the chronology hard to track. There are plenty more twists along the way though and the ending is satisfying. ( )
  zeborah | Oct 12, 2022 |
What a strange book! Sort of an Agatha Christie meets Groundhog Day, with the plot all twisted and out of order.

I don't know if I've ever read anything like this - it's a puzzle lived out by a mysterious guy and several other mysterious people. It bounces all around in time, and people are living simultaneously in different timelines that intertwine and loop around, causing much confusion if you don't pay attention. I kind of want to read it again because there are a lot of characters and things happening that I didn't remember very well. But I still enjoyed it even if I missed out on some of the puzzle pieces. Kind of like a picture puzzle where you can see the picture even though a few pieces are missing.

Not only is it a fun read, but there are some philosophical lessons to ponder, if you're interested. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |

Stuart Turtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, JotNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faccini, EmilyMapmakersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oddera, FedericaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, James CameronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, who gave me everything and asked for nothing. My sister, first and fiercest of my readers from the bumblebees onwards. And my wife, whose love, encouragement, and reminders to look up from my keyboard once in a while, made this book so much more than I thought it could be.
I forget everything between footsteps.
The future isn’t a warning my friend, it’s a promise, and it won’t be broken by us. That’s the nature of the trap we’re caught in.
Evidently, Rashton made quite an impression last night, because my passage through the house is punctuated by hearty handshakes and backslaps. Greetings lie scattered in my wake like tossed rocks, their goodwill bringing me out in bruises.
Too little information and you're blind, too much and you're blinded.
This time the past will hold her hand and squeeze. Memory will murder her.
She’s the only real thing in a world of echoes.

Tapping in the dark
Solve the murder to go home
Jump from host to host
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,360,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible