Impact!: Asteroids and the Science of Saving the World (Scientists in the…

by Elizabeth Rusch, Karin Anderson (Photographer)

Asteroids bombard our atmosphere all the time. Some are harmless, burning up in a flash of light. But others explode with a great sonic boom, smashing windows and throwing people to the ground. Worst of all, some asteroids strike our planet, blasting out massive craters and destroying everything nearby on impact. Follow the award-winning author Elizabeth Rusch into the field with scientists as they search for dangerous asteroids in space, study asteroids that have smashed into the ground, and make plans to prevent an asteroid strike if one ever threatens our planet. … (more)

I just love the Scientists in the Field series, which shows how individual scientists do field work to answer current questions in science. In so doing, they introduce kids to many different kinds of active scientific careers. Impact! is a thorough review of impact and asteroid science for kids. It opens with the story of the Chelyabinsk event and then profiles meteorite hunters, meteorite curators, field geologists studying impacts, astronomers doing asteroid surveys from the ground and from space, and concepts in planetary defense. ( )
  elakdawalla | Dec 10, 2020 |
" Every minute of every day the Earth is pummeled by rocks and particles from space - one hundred tons of space rocks daily."

This book is scary! but well written. It draws you in with a story of an asteroid hitting Chelyabinsk in 2013 and destroying majority of the city. Luckily there were no deaths but many people sustained injuries. The luckiest part of it all was that the asteroid exploded within the atmosphere and not on impact, if so, scientist believe the damage would've been worse than more 3 atomic bombs!!!

The pictures are phenomenal! and the the book also consist of a glossary, study notes and an index.
since it was published in 2017 I believe the information is factual and up to date. ( )
  AConverse | Apr 30, 2019 |
A great book about asteroids and the impact they have had or could have on our planet. This would be a great addition to any earth and space studies in science class. It includes information about the process of the scientific method of investigation. It explains how scientists have studied the earth and its layers to find out more about the impact of asteroids on our planet in the past and what may happen in the future. The author lists sources, acknowledgements, and notes about the many emails with credible scientists that were consulted during the writing process. The author also gives a glossary of terms and a list of websites to read and learn more about asteroids. I would love to have more books like this in the classroom to show my students that the scientific method is a real process that scientists worldwide do use to tell us more about the world around us. ( )
  ldbecker | Feb 14, 2018 |

Elizabeth Ruschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, KarinPhotographermain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,170,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible