Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

Listened to audio narrated well by Suzanne Elise Freeman. Elisa is Ethan and Merit's vampire born daughter. Connor is the son of Pack Apex. Connor and Elisa have been sparking off each other since they were kids. When Elisa returns after being away in Paris, she has to fight the unknown monster within her as well as facing a changed Connor. Elisa has been hiding the 'monster' within her from family and friends, which is annoying since I would have thought Merit and Ethan would have taught her how bad it is to not seek help when it comes to unknown magics. That persistent trait in this series is why I can't give this story a five. After so many things going horribly wrong, that's a lesson that should have all ready been learned. I like Connor for Elisa and I think their budding romance will provide a lot of great future reads.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was good. I decided to read this book largely because I have been enjoying Chloe Neill's Devil's Isle series and I noticed that this book was the start of a new series. I didn't initially realize that this series is a spin off of the Chicagoland Vampires series so I was a little nervous after I made that discovery since I have only read the first book from that series. I am happy to report that this book works perfectly fine as a starting point and there is no need to have read the Chicagoland Vampires series to enjoy this novel.

This book starts out very strong. Elisa is in Paris with a friend when the area is attacked and she springs into action. Tensions are high among the European vampires so representatives from the areas go to Chicago to discuss peace. Elisa hasn't been home to Chicago in years but she is determined to help make these peace talks successful.

I really enjoyed the characters in this book. Elisa was very smart and resourceful. She knew how to handle herself and was willing to take necessary risks. She did have fears and worked hard to hide certain things from others. Connor was absolutely wonderful. He is the son of the local werewolf pack and has known Elisa since they were kids. He was smart, tough, protective, and incredibly sexy. Lulu, Elisa's best friend, added some laughs to the story. She was very competent and seemed to be exactly what Elisa needed at times. Theo worked very well with Elisa and proved that even humans could hold their own with all of the supernaturals in the area.

There was a really well done mystery at the core of this story. There is a murder that needs to be solved but nobody in charge seems to want to look beyond the surface. Elisa knows that there is more to the story so she works to figure out what is really going on. There is plenty of excitement and a few twists and turns that kept me guessing. I thought that there was a really nice balance of creativity, action, character development, humor, and a touch of romance.

I would recommend this series to others. Elisa and her friends were all really strong characters trying to solve a rather complex mystery. I do look forward to future installments in this series.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Sep 1, 2018 |
Chloe Neill’s WILD HUNGER (Heirs of Chicagoland #1) is an amazing spin-off of the Chicagoland Vampires series. I love that this series is about the kids from the Chicagoland Vampire series. I also love that the parents are still included in the new series. Elisa Sullivan is the only vampire to be born. Wolf shifter, Connor Keene, is the son of the North American Central Pack Apex. The two team up to try to stop a supernatural dispute after a vampire diplomate is murdered.

Chloe Neill did a commendable job with this first book to the series. The plot is perfect and skillfully executed. The characters are unique and well developed. They have personal and professional issues to deal with. The chemistry between Elisa and Connor was entertaining. Their parents are good friends, so they hung out as children, frequently getting into fights. They hadn’t seen each other in four years. It was amusing watching their relationship progress. I love that Lulu Bell is Elisa’s best friend, just like Mallory was Merit’s

WILD HUNGER was exciting from start to finish. I’m really looking forward to following this series. While you do not have to read the Chicagoland Vampire series to follow this story, I do recommend the series. Having read the series, I already felt invested in the characters. I also, appreciate what Elisa was going through because of how her birth occurred. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. ( )
  dlynch | Aug 14, 2018 |
I was both really excited and really nervous to read WILD HUNGER. On one hand, I love the world of the Chicagoland Vampires and was excited to jump back into it. On the other hand, I love Merit and Ethan and I kinda didn't want to follow someone else.

Elisa is Ethan and Merit's daughter, so I was expecting her to be pretty bad-ass and she definitely was. You can definitely see some of her parents in the things she does, but I felt like her personality and thinking brought a heavier feel to the book. I was a little surprised to see that she didn't live in Chicago. I am glad that WILD HUNGER brought her back there pretty quickly. Connor came off as kind of a playboy/bad boy. I liked his POV moments and I can see myself liking him more and more as more of himself is revealed.

There is a lot of push and pull between Elisa and Connor. They have more of a love hate relationship for most of the book that was pretty entertaining. I really enjoyed the flashbacks to Elisa and Connor's childhood. I kinda wish that we had another book before this to see more of their shenanigans as they grew up together.

We already know a lot about the world that the series takes place in, but it was neat seeing everything from someone else's perspective. It was nice seeing some of our favorite past characters, getting updates on some that were no longer in Chicago as well as meeting some new characters that we knew about, but hadn't gotten to know.

There are a lot of places that this series could go and I plan to keep reading to find out where exactly it ends up.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Aug 9, 2018 |
Elisa Sullivan, the only vampire child ever born, is back in Chicago escorting the French House to talks which are supposed to bring peace to the European vampires. She has mixed feeling about being back in Chicago. She's glad to see her parents and her old friends. But being back in Chicago also makes control of the monster inside her more difficult. Somehow in the chain of events that led to her birth, a piece of magic - an angry, uncontrollable piece - became a part of her. This is a secret that she hasn't shared with anyone.

One of her old acquaintances is Connor Keene who is the son of the Alpha of the Shifter pack and who was the bane of her existence when they were children together. Her years away have changed Connor or, at least, changed her perception of him which is causing her to feel a lot of confusion.

When a vampire from Spain is murdered and one of Connor's packmates and a good friend of Elisa's is found standing over the body holding a knife, Elisa knows she needs to get involved to prove that her friend is being framed for the crime. The main problem with Elisa investigating is the agreement between Cadogan House and the city of Chicago which states that they won't interfere with the work of the Ombudsmen. Elisa uses a loophole - she has never pledged to Cadogan House - to conduct her own investigation. Soon she is deep in an investigation of faeries who have a deep and twisted plot to gather more power for themselves. Connor gets involved too by way of a few timely rescues.

I enjoyed this spinoff of the Chicagoland Vampires series and look forward to more adventures for Elisa and her friends. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 24, 2018 |
Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill
Urban Fantasy - August 14th, 2018
4 stars

Wild Hunger is the first in a new series that is a spin off from the author’s wildly popular Chicagoland Vampire series. Fun and instantly engaging, you won’t want this book to end.

It’s hard growing up as the only ‘born’ not ‘made’ vampire. As the daughter of the famous Master of Chicago and his sentinel, Elisa Sullivan has had big shoes to fill. So when she is old enough she decided to get training in France. Away from her parents and the expectations that surround her. In Europe, Elisa begins to find herself and a way to control the angry animal within her. One that lies just beyond the surface and loves violence. But when a world vampire peace conference is hosted in Chicago, Elisa finds herself back home with familiar and not so familiar faces. However, she isn’t even settled when a shifter friend named Riley is accused of murdering an important delegate! Elisa knows Riley isn’t capable of cold blooded murder even though all the clues point to his guilt. She is determined to find the real murderer and uncover a plot to disrupt the peace talks. That is if she can keep herself out of danger, too!

This hotly anticipated new novel is tons of fun. Wild Hunger will be a huge hit with fans of the Chicagoland Vampire series. It almost feels as if the reader has never left that world. We’re just starting a new and glorious adventure in it! Elisa is a different from her parents and I enjoyed seeing her parents through her point of view. Elisa is also a complex character. She is conflicted and feels a heavy burden to live up to her parents’ fame. The author has built an intriguing internal conflict that Elisa will be sure to need several books to investigate. As her unusual and dangerous powers seems to becoming a problem. Thankfully, her sexy friend Gabriel Keene is there to lend a helping hand and support her doubts. (I’m sure there will be more steamy scenes as the sexual attraction between the two of them is only in the early stages!) What I like most about this new series is that Elisa has already built a gang of friends -who know each other and will love and work together to fight for justice. Their comradery and repartee (teasing and joking) make a large part of this book so enjoyable. I can’t wait for more!!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

"In the first thrilling installment of Chloe Neill's spinoff to the New York Times bestselling Chicagoland Vampires series, a new vampire will find out just how deep blood ties run. As the only vampire child ever born, some believed Elisa Sullivan had all the luck. But the magic that helped bring her into the world left her with a dark secret. Shifter Connor Keene, the only son of North American Central Pack Apex Gabriel Keene, is the only one she trusts with it. But she's a vampire and the daughter of a Master and a Sentinel, and he's prince of the Pack and its future king. When the assassination of a diplomat brings old feuds to the fore again, Elisa and Connor must choose between love and family, between honor and obligation, before Chicago disappears forever"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible