Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

Artificial Condition (edition 2018)

by Martha Wells (Author)

Collections:eLibrary
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, SFF, Novella, Science Fiction

Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

The 2nd installment in the Murderbot series. I like this as much as the first one. The murderbot character is getting more complex and has to do more interaction with humans. There's some humor in this but there is also suspense and still the larger themes to think about. I plan on reading the next 2 installments as well. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Nov 26, 2018 |
The story of the Murderbot from "All Systems Red" continues in this 2nd of four novellas. The story picks up at a point just shortly after the first book ended. Murderbot has gone rogue (moreso than before) and is in search of the truth about an event from his past. This story didn't catch my interest quite like the first in the series, but the story is still good enough and I came to really like the odd friendship that develops between Murderbot and the sentient AI (ART) who pilots a huge transport/research vessel. Mysteries still abound. So does the offbeat humor. I can't wait to read the next novella. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 20, 2018 |
The Asshole Research transport is brilliant- and the begrudging acceptance that we'd have to figure out who would make the media if all the humans were dead is just the way I like my murderbot to respond to the idea of human extinction ;)

1 vote nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
What Made Me Read It It's the sequel to "All Systems Red" and Murderbot is trying to find out if it really was responsible for the murder of its former clients.
The Good "Artificial Condition" is the second installment of "The Murderbot Diaries", and like the first book in the series, this one is also a novella at little over 150 pages written in the first person through the eyes of the protagonist. The main focus is once again on Murderbot (it is its diaries after all) and its journey of self-discovery. The character is very well developed and complex, a sympathetic protagonist with recognizable and relatable human traits. Murderbot remains the same socially awkward, lazy and snarky cyborg, who would rather spend its days binge watching serials on space netflix but finds itself forced instead to interact with other beings, both human and robotic, at every turn. This time the SecUnit strikes an unwanted friendship with a highly advanced ship navigator AI, whom Murderbot nicknames ART, while bonding reluctantly over shows they watch together on the journey to the RaviHyral mining facility. The remaining secondary characters are only marginally developed but their sole purpose is to provide context for Murderbot's journey, a job done well enough.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/08/book-review-artificial-condition.html
Final Rating "Artificial Condition" is fast-paced, exciting and funny, with enough twists to keep us engaged throughout the whole plot. It has mystery, adventure and danger but it also poses interesting questions about the nature of sentience, responsibility and free will. This book provides answers to some of the questions from book 1 but there is still plenty of mystery left for books 3 and 4. Recommended for those who enjoy a thrilling adventure in space featuring sarcastic sentient robots. ( )
  LiteraryPortals | Nov 11, 2018 |
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as All Systems Red but almost. I found Murderbot's interactions and developing relationship with ART, the A.I. on the transport vessel, to be the most entertaining part of the entire story. ( )
  EmpressReece | Nov 8, 2018 |

Martha Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SecUnits don't care about the news.
(Armour doesn’t have pockets, so score one for ordinary human clothing.)

It has a dark past - one in which a number of humans were killed. A past that caused it to christen itself Murderbot. But it has only vague memories of the massacre that spawned that title, and it wants to know more. Teaming up with a research transport vessal named ART (you don't want to know what the A stands for), Murderbot heads to the mining facility where it went rogue. What it discovers will forever change the way it thinks...… (more)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,692,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible