Artificial Condition: The Murderbot Diaries…

Artificial Condition: The Murderbot Diaries (edition 2018)

by Martha Wells (Author)

3,4202043,888 (4.18)348
It has a dark past - one in which a number of humans were killed. A past that caused it to christen itself Murderbot. But it has only vague memories of the massacre that spawned that title, and it wants to know more. Teaming up with a research transport vessal named ART (you don't want to know what the A stands for), Murderbot heads to the mining facility where it went rogue. What it discovers will forever change the way it thinks.… (more)
Member:crop
Title:Artificial Condition: The Murderbot Diaries
Authors:Martha Wells (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2018), 160 pages
Collections:Electronic, Recently Read, Your library
Rating:*****

Work Information

Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

City by Clifford D. Simak (Sandwich76)
    Bypass Gemini by Joseph R. Lallo (Cloverlimes)
    Cloverlimes: Readers who enjoy Artificial Condition may also enjoy Bypass Gemini because of these common themes: action, artificial intelligence, a main character fighting corporate interests.

English (203)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (205)
Digital audiobook narrated by Kevin R Free

Book two in the Murderbot series. Determined to discover what happened when it “went rogue,” Murderbot leaves his human team behind and ventures out to discover the truth, helped by “ART” it’s transport vehicle.

Science fiction is not really my jam, but I am enjoying this series. It feels fresh and inventive, and I’m surprised by how much I connect with Muderbot and ART – two non-human characters that fully support this story. I loved their back-and-forth discussions / arguments. I’m also glad to get more background on Murderbot, and looking forward now to further adventures with Dr. Mensah.

Kevin R Free does a wonderful job of narrating the audiobook. I really like how he interprets Murderbot. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Jul 12, 2024 |
A fun world, a fun main character.
Not really a lot of development or expansion on this book, I imagine maybe in the next one. Either way, these are just really fun, quick reads. Really enjoying it. ( )
  hhornblower | Jul 7, 2024 |
I really enjoyed the first novella of this series, but I LOVED this volume. It was fantastic to get to see Murderbot develop more of his humanistic side, as well as make choices for himself. The introduction of A.R.T. was absolute gold! The humorous dialog between the two characters was exactly what was needed to balance the dramatic parts of the story.

This story compared to the last one has such a different feel, but in a good way. In the first book, Murderbot was VERY adamant that he was not human in any way, that he didn't have emotions, that he didn't like interacting with humans at all. He just wanted to be left alone to watch his shows. In this volume, now that he's a "free" bot, he begins to accept that he has emotions and realizes that he actually MISSES being around humans. All of this while trying to discover if he really murdered an entire mining crew, and coming to terms with his feelings after he learns the truth.

Absolutely recommend! ( )
  H4ppyN3rd | Jun 28, 2024 |
I can literally fly through these books- they are so addictive and I love the train of thought from the murderbot. They’re genuinely just unintentionally funny and relatable- I found the ending just a little less spectacular which is why I didn’t give it 5* but I definitely still really enjoyed reading this, and I hope I can get to the next installment soon :> ( )
  Liesl. | Jun 28, 2024 |
Good continuation. If you loved the first one you'll love this one. ( )
  jcm790 | May 26, 2024 |
There’s plenty here to entertain the many fans of the first novella.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Jun 11, 2018)

Martha Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Böhmert, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Free, Kevin R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, LeeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montier, MathildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SecUnits don't care about the news.
(Armour doesn’t have pockets, so score one for ordinary human clothing.)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,891,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible