Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates

Zombie (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Joyce Carol Oates (Author)

Member:J.M.Lanham
Title:Zombie
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates (Author)
Info:Plume (1996), Edition: Reprint, 192 pages

Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates (1995)

English (42)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (45)
Absolutely chilling and fully realized as a character study, if salacious and a bit gratuitous. ( )
  KLmesoftly | Nov 18, 2018 |
5 stars, but not because this book was enjoyable or fun or a light, pleasant read.
5 stars because this book was disturbing, it was creepy, and it was sick.
Which is exactly what it was supposed to be. No denying that Joyce Carol Oates captured the mind of a sexual psychopath damn near perfectly.
I found this book much more unsettling than [b:The Wasp Factory|567678|The Wasp Factory|Iain Banks|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434940562s/567678.jpg|3205295]. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
Could not set it down. About a serial killer, not for the squeamish. ( )
  LaurelPoe | Dec 25, 2017 |
To begin, this book is not about zombies, well not in the definition that I think of them. It is about the definition a serial killer gives to the word, the serial killer that this book is about. It is a creepy, first person account of the thoughts and actions of Q_ P_, a 31 year old white man that likes to kill and is looking for his perfect "zombie". This book "feels" real, and the doodles on these pages only add to the creepiness! Good ending too! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 12, 2017 |
This book is not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach, no matter how much of a Joyce Carol Oates fan you are (or no matter how much a fan of the zombie genre you are). This is not World War Zombie. Here we are in the mind of QP, as Quentin calls himself, a sexual psychopath serial killer who would like to have his own personal zombie to cater to his peculiar and unique needs, even if he has to use his own methods to create one.

We accompany QP as he engages in his unspeakable crimes, all the while convincing his parole officer, his psychiatrist, his parents, grandmother and sister that he has at last turned his life around. This is truly one of the creepiest books I have ever read. I liked the book, but I had to keep telling myself it was only a story. Unfortunately, I fear that people like Quentin really exist. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 24, 2017 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My name is Q__ P__ & I am thirty-one years old, three months.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452275008, Paperback)

A hero who gets into the mind of a serial killer is a fixture of television crime shows, but such stories are usually disappointing, because the viewer knows it's just a gimmick. Not so with this unusual little novel, which The New York Times called a "note-perfect, horror-comic ventriloquization of a half-bright, infantile serial killer." Joyce Carol Oates has so convincingly written through the voice of a killer, you will feel nervous while reading at how familiar, how human, he is. Part of how she achieves the effect is through sparing use of bizarre capitalization (e.g., "MOON" and "FRAGMENT") and crude drawings done with a felt-tip pen. But the language is what makes it come alive, as in such weird statements as "My whole body is a numb tongue." This book was winner of the 1996 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

"Oates's ostensible diary of the paroled sex offender Quentin P. provides a psychologically astute portrait of the way cold calculation and dark obsession combine in a serial killer to make him both horrifyingly successful and maddeningly elusive"--Back printed wrapper.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible