Llámame por tu nombre by Andre Aciman

Llámame por tu nombre (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Andre Aciman (Author)

Member:ElliotJimMe
Title:Llámame por tu nombre
Authors:Andre Aciman (Author)
Info:Editorial Alfaguara (2008)
Rating:*****

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman (2007)

English (74)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (86)
I don't think I would have finished this if it wasn't a bookclub read. Never managed to gain any empathy for Elio or Oliver. They were both so clearly spoiled and privileged and maybe just a little bored.
I have read other gay fiction with much more body, (Alan Hollinghurst and John Boyne) come to mind, and very much enjoyed them, but Elio's internal dwelling on himself and his desires tested me. I don't really believe he actually loved Oliver. He was lusting after him before he even knew him. This sort of shallow emotion does not move me at all, and although I know they were young (Elio anyway) this youthful drive for sex with any gender does not automatically make it a good story. I thought their cavorting around Rome seemed a little pointless, nothing ever came of anything they did together except a bit of lustful sex. All up a pretty empty story for me. ( )
  jody12 | Feb 20, 2019 |
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Every single word has a purpose and is perfectly placed in the context of the story. And all the feelings...this book made me feel all of the feelings. I can see myself rereading this one many times over the rest of my life! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
a fuoco lento, ma poi bolle! ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Such a beautiful book. I had seen the movie first, but this was a more in-depth version. Although at the end of the day I feel I enjoyed the movie more, this novel was really, really lovely. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Plot:
Teenager Elio spends the summer in Italy with his parents as every year. And as every year, they are joined by a doctoral student who can work with Elio’s father – a professor – and revise his own writing. Elio isn’t too thrilled about the intrusion that costs him his room. But this year the student who shows up is Oliver and Oliver has something about him. Elio realizes that he is in love with Oliver, but Oliver’s detached and sometimes outright brazen manner leaves little doubt that he doesn’t reciprocate the feelings.

Call Me By Your Name has a beautiful first half and a more difficult second half. I enjoyed it, but not without reservations.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/04/17/call-me-by-your-name-andre-aciman/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jan 14, 2019 |
In poetic, elevated prose, André Aciman has written a powerful psychological drama of two bisexual men who share their most intimate selves, intellectually, spiritually, and physically. Elio’s thoughts and emotions are depicted in vivid detail that unashamedly highlights the infatuation, lust, love, and obsession that sometimes results from a first love.

André Acimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orth-Guttmann, RenateTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Albio, Alma de mi vida
"Later!" The word, the voice, the attitude.
Whoever said the soul and the body met in the pineal gland was a fool. It’s the asshole, stupid.
If youth must canter, then who’ll do the galloping?
Perhaps we were friends first and lovers second.
But then perhaps this is what lovers are.
All I knew was that I had nothing left to hide from him. I had never felt freer or safer in my life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031242678X, Paperback)

A New York Times Notable Book of the Year

A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year

A Washington Post Best Fiction Book of the Year

A New York Magazine “Future Canon” Selection

A Chicago Tribune Favorite Book of the Year

One of The Seattle Times’ Michael Upchurch’s Favorite Books of the Year

An Amazon Top 100 Editors’ Picks of the Year

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Debut Fiction (#6)

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Gay & Lesbian (#1)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera.  During the restless summer weeks, unrelenting but buried currents of obsession, fascination, and desire intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them and verge toward the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy. André Aciman's critically acclaimed debut novel is a frank, unsentimental, heartrending elegy to human passion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' house, a cliff-side mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, at first each feigns indifference to the other. But during the warm, languorous summer weeks that follow, unrelenting buried currents of obsession and fear, fascination and desire, intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them. What grows from the depths of their spirits is a romance of scarcely six weeks duration and an experience that marks them for a lifetime. For what the two discover on the Riviera and on a sultry evening in Rome is the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,660,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible