Call Me by Your Name: A Novel by Andre…

Call Me by Your Name: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2017)

by Andre Aciman (Author)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' house, a cliff-side mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, at first each feigns indifference to the other. But during the warm, languorous summer weeks that follow, unrelenting buried currents of obsession and fear, fascination and desire, intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them. What grows from the depths of their spirits is a romance of scarcely six weeks duration and an experience that marks them for a lifetime. For what the two discover on the Riviera and on a sultry evening in Rome is the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy.… (more)
Member:LARA335
Title:Call Me by Your Name: A Novel
Authors:Andre Aciman (Author)
Info:Picador (2017), Edition: Media tie-in, 256 pages
Collections:2022, Your library
Rating:*****

Work Information

Call me by your name by André Aciman (Author) (2007)

English (121)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (134)
This story was not what I was expecting. There was such deep, almost obsessive, yearning feelings exuded by both Elio and Oliver that were just so intuiting. I wrote a note about this as I was reading this and what it said was that I just thought that this is one of those books that you really just have to lend your whole attention to, or else you can’t really soak up the story. I also feel that anyone who reads this just has to appreciate how erotically descriptive it is. It doesn’t really make you uncomfortable because the perspective it’s in feels like more of a personal situation. The reason for this is because the whole book is basically Elio and his inner thoughts. We never get to see things from Oliver’s perspective, which would’ve been interesting, but it doesn’t really need it. I feel like I was just reading a section of Elio’s life. There wasn’t really a definite start to the book, it was almost as if you had picked up his diary and started reading from a random page. I was expecting that this book was going to have Elio and Oliver’s relationship continue throughout the whole book, but it didn’t really do that. It got kinda boring right about at the time Oliver was about to go back to the states, though. It dragged through their adult years, but I feel like that really represented how their lives were at the time. Anyway, I appreciated this book. I didn’t like it as much as I though I would, but it was solidly okay. ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
It was a bit difficult to really get into the book. So much so that I actually had started reading this book back in 2017 the first time I was in Europe, but I never finished it. Now, being in Europe again I picked it up and started it over. It was achingly beautiful. Having seen the movie and now reading the book I am extremely interested in the differences between the conclusions of each, both beautiful, the book more melancholy. I cried last night as I read the last page. ( )
  aggrvtdbaby | Oct 24, 2022 |
Beautifully written novel evoking Elio’s thoughts. An academic family spend their summers in a gorgeous Italian location. Each year the father invites a student to join them. And Élio becomes infatuated with Oliver, a young American who has come to write.

Listened to the audio version, spoken so well by the actor who played the love-interest in the film. A novel full of yearning, and short conversations, saying little but revealing so much of what is feared to be revealed, the vulnerability of love, and the sadness & pain that life inevitably moves on.

All the characters are good people. Elio’s parents are understanding & compassionate. There was no huge drama, just the wonder, yearning & heart-break of discovering ‘the one’. Loved it. ( )
  LARA335 | Oct 4, 2022 |
this is one of my faviorate book. ( )
  varishaa | Sep 5, 2022 |
Thanks to the awards buzz of Luca Guadagnino's mesmerizing and beautifully composed film adaptation starring Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer, André Aciman's "Call Me By Your Name" has seen a signficant boost of attention for the public over the last year (at least I suddenly began to see copies of the novel on every shelf in every bookstore), and the number of conversations about it has only increased. The movie ended up being my first introduction to the story of Elio and Oliver, but I didn't wait long to immerse myself into the novel and learn more about these characters, and it turned out that while a few things may have worked better in the movie and a few things may have worked better in the novel, "Call Me By Your Name" has been written so beautifully and adapted into a cinematic medium so perfectly that both versions of the story balance each other out in their beauty and intimate sense of nostalgia.

I don't even know if that's a satisfying way to describe both the novel and the movie: there is something achingly and painfully slow about the writing; meaning that anyone not interested enough to care about the characters will probably have to face torment and agony during their attempt to get through "Call Me By Your Name". And yet, the prose is patient and hauntingly beautiful, to the extent that it was impossible to not fall in love with the writing style for me. The setting is used sublimely to create a unique and memorable atmosphere. I haven't ever read anything similar to it in terms of style and atmosphere; it has been compared to Alan Hollinghurst's [b:The Swimming-Pool Library|30106|The Swimming-Pool Library|Alan Hollinghurst|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388450054s/30106.jpg|2776591] or Éric Rohmer's Pauline at the Beach, but honestly, nothing you have ever seen or read before could possibly prepare you for the stunning beauty of "Call Me By Your Name", no matter if you experience the cinematic adaptation or Aciman's fantastic novel first. If you haven't already been interested in picking up the book before reading my review, then I really don't know how to convince you anymore. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
In poetic, elevated prose, André Aciman has written a powerful psychological drama of two bisexual men who share their most intimate selves, intellectually, spiritually, and physically. Elio’s thoughts and emotions are depicted in vivid detail that unashamedly highlight the infatuation, lust, love, and obsession that sometimes result from a first love.

Aciman, AndréAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, AndrewPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hammer, ArmieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, SusanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orth-Guttmann, RenateTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Albio, Alma de mi vida
"Later!" The word, the voice, the attitude.
Whoever said the soul and the body met in the pineal gland was a fool. It’s the asshole, stupid.
If youth must canter, then who’ll do the galloping?
Perhaps we were friends first and lovers second.
But then perhaps this is what lovers are.
All I knew was that I had nothing left to hide from him. I had never felt freer or safer in my life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,264,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible