From Twinkle, with Love by Sandhya Menon

From Twinkle, with Love

by Sandhya Menon

Told through letters, aspiring filmmaker and wallflower Twinkle Mehra learns a lesson about love while directing a movie for the Midsummer Night arts festival, in which her longtime crush and his twin brother are also participating.

A copy of this became available through my library and I grabbed it. I'd read and really liked When Dimple Met Rishi.

Although I didn't love this quite as much as I loved Dimple, I'd still recommend it. This one is set in high school so it reads less mature (but age appropriate and would recommend to girls maybe 14-17.
Dimple/Rishi is set in early college and would recommend to more mature readers, maybe girls 16-19.
Not that they're only enjoyable for/at that age.

What I love about both of these books and this author:

1) Her main characters (the female protagonist and her male love interest) are Indian - it's nice to see more diverse representation in characters.

2) She writes strong, young quirky female leads. Dimple is into coding. Twinkle is a filmmaker. Both follow their passions (unconventional and not typically female-heavy career interests) and don't settle. Both are unapologetically intelligent, driven and passionate about following their dreams and interests. Both are imperfect though--they mess up in relationships (both romantic and friendships in realistic ways and learn from it).

3) Both girls (and their love interest) come from conservative and loving Indian families and parents. Family is important in the culture and to the characters and while there is some tension between the less traditional protagonists and their more conservative family members, it's handled with grace, respect and resolved in a healthy way.

4) She writes conservatively age-appropriate romances. In the case of Twinkle/Sahil, there's kissing and that's about as far as it goes. Dimple/Rishi are older and it goes further, but all 'sexual' scenes are handled in a gentle and respectful way and most importantly - the portrayals of relationships are all healthy and both parties equal.

5) Friendships (girl/girl, girl/boy, boy/boy) are handled in authentic ways, even when there's conflict and tension.

6) Perhaps most importantly - while the female protagonists are somewhat unconventional in their career/professional aspirations, they're fairly traditional in their romantic pursuits. Although the focus is on the females and the story told primarily from her perspective, there's no boy bashing! The girls are built up for who they are and the characters make choices about boys that seems right for them and true to themselves. Shows in a gentle and non-preachy way that it's possible to be pro-female without being anti-male. That's really important for girls to know and sadly, isn't always the cultural message that's pushed forward these days.

What I liked less about this book is in the construct of the plot itself. I didn't think the author's choices worked quite as well here. But, without belaboring those details, I read the whole thing and it worked well enough. These are stories that would be good for a girls' book group or as a readalong if mentoring a girl around this age. ( )
  angiestahl | Oct 21, 2019 |
Form Twinkle, With Love

I Picked Up This Book Because: Fan of the author

The Characters:

Twinkle Mehra:
Sahil Roy:
Maddie Tanaka, Neil Roy, Skid, Aaron, Biraj

The Story:

Aspiring filmmaker Twinkle is urged by her friends to make a move for their annual Midsummer Night Festival. This story is told through diary entries made by Twinkle. I love that she writes her entries as letters to female filmmakers. While she has a clear direction of what her goals are she’s a little oblivious to the world around her. Like growing crush on Sahil or her changing friendship with Maddie. During the filming of her movie I think she learns a lot about herself and how to communicate with others.

I kind of wish this was part of a series. I would like to learn more about Maddie, Aaron and Skid.

The Random Thoughts:

3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 17, 2019 |
"Section:
REVIEWS: Children's
From Twinkle, with Love
Sandhya Menon. Simon Pulse, $18.99 (336p) ISBN 978-1-4814-9540-0
Sixteen-year-old Twinkle Mehra fantasizes about becoming a successful filmmaker, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have regular teenage problems: she's in love with a boy named Neil, who barely knows she exists; her best friend, Maddie, is acting strangely toward her; and her crush's twin brother, Sahil (also an aspiring filmmaker), is paying her a lot of attention. After Sahil convinces Twinkle to collaborate on a documentary film project, she starts receiving emails from an admirer, who signs his letters N, and Twinkle hopes it's Neil. Then Twinkle starts to fall for Sahil, she grows confused about her admirer, and her relationship with Maddie goes off the rails. Menon brings an effervescent energy to Twinkle's story, which is reminiscent in tone to Menon's When Dimple Met Rishi. The story is told, in part, through Twinkle's confessional letters to famous filmmakers that serve effectively as diary entries. Mehra's story line and characters lack a degree of cohesion, and the story's epistolary content isn't always well integrated. Nevertheless, Twinkle's relationship with Sahil is sweet and believable, while the heart of this story hangs on Twinkle's conflict with Maddie, and the pain she feels when Maddie drops her for the popular girls. Twinkle's relatable quandaries and her worthy professional aspirations give Menon's heroine solid appeal. Ages 12–up. Agent: Thao Le, Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency. (May)"
PHOTO (COLOR)
Source: Publishers Weekly, 3/19/2018, Vol. 265 Issue 12, p77, 1p
Item: 128558720 ( )
  AmandaBarn | Jul 15, 2019 |
2.5 Stars. This had some promising ideas, they just weren’t explored to the extent that I would have liked.

Twinkle, an aspiring filmmaker, agrees to make a short film with Sahil, an aspiring critic, in hopes that it will not only set the stage for her career, but also elevate her status at school, landing her dream guy (Sahil’s twin), and wining back her best friend who’s grown apart from Twinkle.

Aside from Sahil’s texts and blog posts, the book is mostly told from Twinkle’s point of view through journal entries written to her favorite female filmmakers. A clever concept, however, it mostly just stayed a concept as the entries/Twinkle’s experiences don’t really reflect or touch on these ladies’ films.

I felt like Twinkle and Sahil’s romance and their characters would have benefited from having more of Neil (Sahil’s twin, Twinkle’s crush) in the story. With so little Neil, for the most part you’re just told that Sahil is in his shadow, you don’t often get to really feel the weight of that shadow on Sahil. And maybe a few more scenes of Twinkle interacting with Neil could have given the reader a glimpse of him beyond the superficial, so when Twinkle acts like she has this big choice to make between the brothers, it might have actually seemed like a big choice had she gotten to know Neil even a little, it might have seemed like there were higher stakes for Twinkle and for Sahil if she’d forged some sort of personal connection with Neil, too, instead, her struggle to choose made her seem shallow.

Twinkle’s tension with her best friend was perhaps resolved a bit too easily and tidily, but emotionally their friendship woes were more interesting, more complex, and more real than the romance, where the awkwardness between Twinkle and Sahil often had a staged feel, the awkwardness between Twinkle and Maddie had an authentic bittersweet note to it.

Much like with this author’s When Dimple Met Rishi, I found myself disappointed to be presented with a heroine who has a passion in her life (a passion that is not a boy) and yet, like Dimple, we hardly see Twinkle doing this thing she’s passionate about. Other than a temper tantrum, we barely see Twinkle on her movie sets, those moments are mostly glossed over/summarized as opposed to shown. We’re told throughout the book what a talented filmmaker Twinkle is, unfortunately we’re rarely shown her talent in action.

When the estranged best friend is cast in the lead role, when Twinkle is trying to gain confidence in life and her future as a director, and when the producer, Sahil, happens to be her crush’s insecure brother who is crushing on Twinkle, that’s a juicy movie-focused set-up only to have more scenes take place on a hike, at a carnival, and at parties than in the making of the movie. The strongest conflict and comedy probably could have been mined from the film making, and it might have provided a source of inspiration to see a young woman actually direct, write a script or take an active role in the editing of her own film rather than leave the job solely to a boy. It seemed like there was an opportunity to tell a more original story by centering it around this girl making a movie instead of veering into contemporary romance clichés like having to take shelter from a storm. That hike may have made sense had they been scouting locations, but no, during the deadline for a movie, they somehow had time to just go off hiking for seemingly no purpose other than to get “romantically” caught in a storm.

I know From Twinkle, With Love is marketed as a romantic comedy, that was the reason for the secret admirer, the getting caught in the storm, the carnival, etc., but to me, those things didn’t add much to the story. I can’t help feeling that there was a way for this to still be a romantic comedy and at the same time truly showcase the most appealing aspect of the story, seeing a girl striving to succeed in a field that isn’t all that open to females yet. ( )
  SJGirl | Mar 11, 2019 |
Great Story, I think my idea of contemporary books might be changing. Never really enjoyed them but there seems to be a rash of them that have caught me eye. Twinkle is a lovable character with many flaws. So she seems real, she has boy problems and a secret admirer and a friendship that is fading fast. As an aspiring filmmaker Twinkle has a lot to learn, friends come and go, boys are odd and what you hope for isn’t really what you need. So with a movie plan for her high school dance and a camera she will realize what it’s like to follow your dreams but also to learn not to out run them.

DRC from Edelweise ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,922,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible