Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan

Knife of Dreams

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (11)

Recently added byprivate library, hasse88, eaglesong3, LPmyers, ASClaire, seant1990, EveningMist, leslie.98, ppchain

Took me a while to read this one...I would read some, put it down for a few months, read some more, etc. I was really glad to see that storylines that have been buzzing around for 5 or 6 books now are finally starting to come together with a sense of closure. Perrin finally finds Faile....Mat and Tuon establish their relationship and his place as a leader of the Seanchan...Rand starts kicking ass (finally), but at a price to be explored later. The point is, this was Jordan's last work before his death, and you can see here that he is starting to bring this monster saga to a close. I am looking forward to reading Brandon Sanderson's adaptation of the last 3 books based on Jordan's notes and recordings, but this one was a welcome move forward in a saga that has been mired for several volumes. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 3, 2018 |
Kinda sad to finish this one, because while I still have three more to go before I find out how this friggin' series ends, this is the last one Robert Jordan wrote himself. This is his last book, however much of his notes Sanderson might've used for the remaining three. The story continues, but Robert Jordan is done. :( ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Knife of Dreams is the eleventh book in The Wheel of Time. This book made significant progress on a few of the storylines. In fact, a couple of the ongoing storylines seem to have reached a conclusion, which I was happy to see. I was even happier about the brief but significant continuation of one particular storyline of interest to me, and I enjoyed all the other ongoing storylines.

I have more comments hidden within the spoiler tags below.
It’s about time we finally got confirmation that Moiraine is still alive and a clear indicator of how her storyline will continue. I was half hoping that the prequel (New Spring) that focused on Moiraine might have been a hint that her story would finally come back up in book 11. I thought maybe Jordan wrote a book focusing on her to bring her back to the interest of his readers after neglecting her for so long. Whether that had anything to do with his reasons for writing it or not, it was that thought combined with Thom’s letter being mentioned several times in book 10 that kept me from being terribly surprised when her storyline came back up in this book. I was very happy to see it, though.

I never really did understand why all the characters seemed so convinced Moiraine was dead. Especially the characters who had been through the mirrors themselves. And especially considering all the references to Min’s viewings about her being “wrong” when Min has apparently never been wrong before. Back in book six, when we learned about the Bowl of Winds being in a storage room full of artifacts, I had it in my head that another mirror or some other artifact that could get Moiraine out would be found there and that the letter she had written Thom included instructions about it. So I was completely wrong there. After they finally found the bowl but not Moiraine, I started to realize I was going to have to wait a while for any kind of resolution.

I had initially expected Moiraine’s letter to Thom to contain some information about how/when he would find her. After all, she told him in book four that she’d see him again when she was sending him to Tarabon with the girls, and she never saw him again before she fell through the mirror. But then so much time passed and he didn’t do or say anything. And then in book 10 he was reading the letter constantly and claiming it was written by a “dead woman”, so I got thrown off track by that and figured it must not contain anything about Moiraine herself but rather had something else of personal importance to him such as maybe his nephew. Of course, now it makes perfect sense – he was reading it constantly in Mat’s presence to try to provoke Mat to ask him about it because he couldn’t do anything until that happened. I hope they go rescue her in the next book and don’t drag her story out all the way until the very end of the series. Geez, now I’ve written three paragraphs about a storyline that barely had any page time in this book. :)

I was happy to see Halima finally unmasked. I was also glad that Perrin was finally able to rescue Faile. Hopefully Perrin can start getting interesting again. His part of the story was starting to get on my nerves because it was mostly angst. Faile’s part was actually pretty interesting to me, because there was more going on and also because I’ve been interested in Morgase who was captured with her. Faile seems to be at her most annoying when she’s around Perrin, though, so I’m not looking forward to that. It looks like what’s left of the Shaido are finally going to go back where they came from and stop causing trouble also, but I guess there are probably some scattered groups still around. I was also happy that Elayne seems to have finally won her throne, if only to see that storyline finally wrapped up. It’s probably the one that’s the least consistently interesting to me in comparison to the other storylines. There were quite a few identity revelations and hints in this book, about various Forsaken as well as Noal. And Rand’s encounter with Semirhage was brief but dramatic, with him losing his left hand. His part of the story has seemed a little skimpy lately, although usually what little there is of it has been interesting.
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 22, 2018 |
The last book penned by Jordan is one where he was back up to snuff... no more dawdling... although I admit I had to drag my eyes over the Perrin parts the rest of it was top notch. Ah, so close to the end of the story!

Let's see what Sanderson has done to the final trilogy of WoT books... ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this, but it didn't get 5 stars because there just so much info not wrapping up that I couldn't truly immerse myself completely in the book.

Once I was done, I realized, this was the last book Jordan wrote by himself. And I tell you, if I had read up to this book then heard that Jordan had died, I would have been REALLY angry.

I am so glad I still have several books ahead of me. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Jordan has said that readers will be sweating by the end of the book, and he's probably right. Sweating or not, they'll also be dreading the long year or two before the 12th installment.
added by IslandDave | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 12, 2005)

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are alike a knife of dreams.
--From Fog and Steel by Madoc Comadrin
In memory of Charles St. George Sinkler Adams
July 6, 1976 - April 13, 2005
The sun, climbing towards midmorning, stretched Galad's shadow and those of his three armored companions ahead of them as they trotted their mounts down the road that ran straight through the forest, dense with oak and leatherleaf, pine and sourgum, most showing the red of spring growth.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Robert Jordan gives us the eleventh volume of his extraordinary masterwork of fantasy.The dead are walking, men die impossible deaths, and it seems as though reality itself has become unstable: All are signs of the imminence of Tarmon Gai’don, the Last Battle, when Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn, must confront the Dark One as humanity’s only hope. But Rand dares not fight until he possesses all the surviving seals on the Dark One’s prison and has dealt with the Seanchan, who threaten to overrun all nations this side of the Aryth Ocean and increasingly seem too entrenched to be fought off. But his attempt to make a truce with the Seanchan is shadowed by treachery that may cost him everything. Whatever the price, though, he must have that truce. And he faces other dangers. There are those among the Forsaken who will go to any length to see him dead--and the Black Ajah is at his side....Unbeknownst to Rand, Perrin has made his own truce with the Seanchan. It is a deal made with the Dark One, in his eyes, but he will do whatever is needed to rescue his wife, Faile, and destroy the Shaido who captured her. Among the Shaido, Faile works to free herself while hiding a secret that might give her her freedom or cause her destruction. And at a town called Malden, the Two Rivers longbow will be matched against Shaido spears.Fleeing Ebou Dar through Seanchan-controlled Altara with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, Mat attempts to court the woman to whom he is half-married, knowing that she will complete that ceremony eventually. But Tuon coolly leads him on a merry chase as he learns that even a gift can have deep significance among the Seanchan Blood and what he thinks he knows of women is not enough to save him. For reasons of her own, which she will not reveal until a time of her choosing, she has pledged not to escape, but Mat still sweats whenever there are Seanchan soldiers near. Then he learns that Tuon herself is in deadly danger from those very soldiers. To get her to safety, he must do what he hates worse than work....In Caemlyn, Elayne fights to gain the Lion Throne while trying to avert what seems a certain civil war should she win the crown....In the White Tower, Egwene struggles to undermine the sisters loyal to Elaida from within....The winds of time have become a storm, and things that everyone believes are fixed in place forever are changing before their eyes. Even the White Tower itself is no longer a place of safety. Now Rand, Perrin and Mat, Egwene and Elayne, Nynaeve and Lan, and even Loial, must ride those storm winds, or the Dark One will triumph.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812577566, Mass Market Paperback)

About the Author
Robert Jordan lives in Charleston, South Carolina. He is a graduate of the Citadel.

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Amazon.com's Significant Seven
Robert Jordan kindly agreed to take the life quiz we like to give to all our authors: the Amazon.com Significant Seven.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The King James version of the Bible. That seems a cliche, but I can't think of any other book that has had as large an impact in shaping who I am.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The one book would be whatever book I was currently writing. I mean, I hate falling behind in the work. The one CD would contain the best encyclopedia I could find on desert island survival. The DVD would contain as much of Beethoven, Mozart, and Duke Ellington as I could cram onto it.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: It's hard to think of one since I am genetically incapable of lying to women and that takes out 52% of the population right there.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: Any place that has my computer, a CD player for music, a comfortable chair that won't leave me with a backache at the end of a long day, and very little interruption.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: He kept trying to get better at it.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: My wife before anybody else on earth living or dead. That's a no-brainer.

Q: If you could have one superpower what would it be?
A: That depends. If I'm feeling altruistic, it would be the ability to heal anything with a touch, if that can be called a superpower. If I'm not feeling very altruistic, it would be the ability to read other people's minds, to finally be able to get to the bottom of what they really mean and what their motivations are.

See all books in the Wheel of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

An eleventh installment in the best-selling series finds Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, preparing for a confrontation with the Dark One in order to save humanity, a feat that is challenged by the murderous Forsaken and Rand's need to acquire the remaining seals on the Dark One's prison.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible