Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan

Knife of Dreams

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (11)

I really enjoyed this, but it didn't get 5 stars because there just so much info not wrapping up that I couldn't truly immerse myself completely in the book.

Once I was done, I realized, this was the last book Jordan wrote by himself. And I tell you, if I had read up to this book then heard that Jordan had died, I would have been REALLY angry.

I am so glad I still have several books ahead of me. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This really is an amazing series. It is so hard to put it down. I can't believe that it is almost over. There are so many things that happen in every book! I now love Mat, at first I didn't really care for him, but he is such a badass! Rand is still crazy as crap. Perrin will hopefully get better I used to love him but he has been so whiny lately. I'm a bit bummed Nynaeve hasn't been in the books much lately as she is my favorite character! Egwene is finally bearable. Elayne not so much lol. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
END THE SERIES ALREADY!

When your books require 20 page glossaries of all the characters, when each character has been tortured, gone mad, gained sixteen new powers and had passionate love affairs with several True Luvs, it might just be time to end your series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The first half is a bit sluggish, but there's enough progress to make it seem fast compared to the last few books in the series. After that, the pacing picks up. You can tell it's picking up because the chapters get divided between main character's points-of-view, rather than long, rambling chapters devoted to minor characters. A few sequences were as enjoyable and fast-paced as the first four books in the series. Even so, Robert Jordan comes close to summarizing the major battles. I wish that he'd spent more time on those, and less on describing dresses and Elayne's mood swings.

What makes book 11 a winner, in my opinion, is that the characters grow and change as much as they did in the earliest part of the series. Rand becomes more of a tragic figure--I really feel sorry for him--and Mat proves that he can still kick ass. Egwene finally realizes all the potential she had way back in books 1 through 4. Some of the lesser characters, like Egeanin and Tarna Feir, change drastically.

On the other hand, I found this book to be a bittersweet mixture of fun and disappointment. Quite a few sub-plots get resolved, but those resolutions don't always justify the meandering way they were built up. The sub-plots that required long chapters (or books) of set-up felt unsatisfying when they were resolved in a few paragraphs. Of course, events that had been hinted at with tantalizing, strategically placed clues felt very satisfying when they were concluded.

I published a chapter-by-chapter review of this novel on my website. ( )
1 vote Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Jordan has said that readers will be sweating by the end of the book, and he's probably right. Sweating or not, they'll also be dreading the long year or two before the 12th installment.
added by IslandDave | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 12, 2005)

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are alike a knife of dreams.
--From Fog and Steel by Madoc Comadrin
In memory of Charles St. George Sinkler Adams
July 6, 1976 - April 13, 2005
The sun, climbing towards midmorning, stretched Galad's shadow and those of his three armored companions ahead of them as they trotted their mounts down the road that ran straight through the forest, dense with oak and leatherleaf, pine and sourgum, most showing the red of spring growth.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Robert Jordan gives us the eleventh volume of his extraordinary masterwork of fantasy.The dead are walking, men die impossible deaths, and it seems as though reality itself has become unstable: All are signs of the imminence of Tarmon Gai’don, the Last Battle, when Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn, must confront the Dark One as humanity’s only hope. But Rand dares not fight until he possesses all the surviving seals on the Dark One’s prison and has dealt with the Seanchan, who threaten to overrun all nations this side of the Aryth Ocean and increasingly seem too entrenched to be fought off. But his attempt to make a truce with the Seanchan is shadowed by treachery that may cost him everything. Whatever the price, though, he must have that truce. And he faces other dangers. There are those among the Forsaken who will go to any length to see him dead--and the Black Ajah is at his side....Unbeknownst to Rand, Perrin has made his own truce with the Seanchan. It is a deal made with the Dark One, in his eyes, but he will do whatever is needed to rescue his wife, Faile, and destroy the Shaido who captured her. Among the Shaido, Faile works to free herself while hiding a secret that might give her her freedom or cause her destruction. And at a town called Malden, the Two Rivers longbow will be matched against Shaido spears.Fleeing Ebou Dar through Seanchan-controlled Altara with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, Mat attempts to court the woman to whom he is half-married, knowing that she will complete that ceremony eventually. But Tuon coolly leads him on a merry chase as he learns that even a gift can have deep significance among the Seanchan Blood and what he thinks he knows of women is not enough to save him. For reasons of her own, which she will not reveal until a time of her choosing, she has pledged not to escape, but Mat still sweats whenever there are Seanchan soldiers near. Then he learns that Tuon herself is in deadly danger from those very soldiers. To get her to safety, he must do what he hates worse than work....In Caemlyn, Elayne fights to gain the Lion Throne while trying to avert what seems a certain civil war should she win the crown....In the White Tower, Egwene struggles to undermine the sisters loyal to Elaida from within....The winds of time have become a storm, and things that everyone believes are fixed in place forever are changing before their eyes. Even the White Tower itself is no longer a place of safety. Now Rand, Perrin and Mat, Egwene and Elayne, Nynaeve and Lan, and even Loial, must ride those storm winds, or the Dark One will triumph.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812577566, Mass Market Paperback)

About the Author
Robert Jordan lives in Charleston, South Carolina. He is a graduate of the Citadel.

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Amazon.com's Significant Seven
Robert Jordan kindly agreed to take the life quiz we like to give to all our authors: the Amazon.com Significant Seven.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: The King James version of the Bible. That seems a cliche, but I can't think of any other book that has had as large an impact in shaping who I am.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The one book would be whatever book I was currently writing. I mean, I hate falling behind in the work. The one CD would contain the best encyclopedia I could find on desert island survival. The DVD would contain as much of Beethoven, Mozart, and Duke Ellington as I could cram onto it.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: It's hard to think of one since I am genetically incapable of lying to women and that takes out 52% of the population right there.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: Any place that has my computer, a CD player for music, a comfortable chair that won't leave me with a backache at the end of a long day, and very little interruption.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: He kept trying to get better at it.

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: My wife before anybody else on earth living or dead. That's a no-brainer.

Q: If you could have one superpower what would it be?
A: That depends. If I'm feeling altruistic, it would be the ability to heal anything with a touch, if that can be called a superpower. If I'm not feeling very altruistic, it would be the ability to read other people's minds, to finally be able to get to the bottom of what they really mean and what their motivations are.

See all books in the Wheel of Time series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

An eleventh installment in the best-selling series finds Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, preparing for a confrontation with the Dark One in order to save humanity, a feat that is challenged by the murderous Forsaken and Rand's need to acquire the remaining seals on the Dark One's prison.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,385,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible