Skin by Christian Baines
312,936,610 (1)None
horror (1) m/m (1) romance (1)

This book was a big letdown for me. I expected a creepy ghost story but there were no ghosts. Marc, who is mentioned to be haunted by a vicious spirit, only encounters something supernatural for maybe 3 times for not longer than the blink of an eye. And one has to get through half of the book before "the spirit" appears for the first time. Early into the book he is in a situation where he wakes up and thinks: "Have I blacked-out again?" and before or after that? His black-outs are never mentioned again. At first I thought, all right, there must be a spirit who is occupying his body at times, hence his blackouts. But as he never has blackouts and as there never is a ghost doing something, I just don't know where the books intention was when they wrote: "Marc, ... , is haunted by an eccentric spirit that shares his dreams,..." What dreams? When?

Skin is - excuse the language - full of sh*t. For the most part there is rape, sexual assault, abusive relationships and an overall hornyness of each and every character. Seriously. I like me some hot scenes but these dudes are completely out of control here. There isn't at least one situation where they don't get "hard ons". For about 70% of this book they are getting it on. And yeah, the language. This book is not for the faint of heart. You have to deal with a lot of derogatory and offending language.

So, expecting a ghost story and a broken lover who lost his companion seeking either revenge or salvation, I felt like being slapped in the face - with a boner I guess. Skin is a very rough, sometimes gross story about a lot of sex that somehow turns into a Voodoo-Thing at the end. While I could have liked the voodoo part it was too little, too late. I actually don't know why I bothered finishing this book as I mostly rolled my eyes and got angry by the constant abuse, blood and semen everywhere. I think I was just hoping that the story would at one point turn from gross to creepy and bring on the actual story.

***This book was provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*** ( )
  SamJehanzeb | Oct 25, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,614,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible