Christmas in Icicle Falls by Sheila Roberts

Christmas in Icicle Falls

by Sheila Roberts

In this final installment in her treasured Icicle Falls series, three women resolve to see the beauty in some of the more difficult people and things in their lives, especially during this Christmas season.

Christmas in Icicle Falls is the first Sheila Roberts book I’ve read. It’s the last in the Icicle Falls series, which is just one of many series penned by the author, so I’m not sure how I’ve missed reading her novels so far. But it’s a very enjoyable standalone book, so a good introduction to the author’s characters, style and stories. Plus it’s a Christmas story, perfect for the season. It involves an ugly artificial tree, made beautiful with wise decoration. And it involves very real, messed-up human lives, made equally beautiful.

Single mom Sienna Moreno just wants a safe environment for her developmentally challenged son. Local author Muriel Sterling wants lots of people to find Christmas joy in her book. Friend Arthur wants Muriel to go on vacation with him. And the grouchy old man just wants… to be a grouch perhaps.

As the story continues, backstories add just enough depth to each character, creating believable quirks and compelling explanations, decorating human imperfection with touches of delight, and leading to happy conclusions. Simple acts of kindness add up. Simple misunderstandings retreat. And messed-up relationships give way to trust. It’s a sweet novel, with just enough tart for laughter, heartache and hope. It stands alone easily if, like me, you've not read the rest of the series, and it ends with sweet recipes too.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Nov 10, 2017 |
I really liked the multi-generational aspect of this story as well as the return to Icicle Falls. The three main storylines meld very well and I didn't feel it jumped around between viewpoints too much. Muriel Sterling, matriarch of the Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company family and local author, deals with the loneliness and jealousies that can arise at holiday time. Newcomer and single mother Sienna Moreno, along with son Leo, look for kindness among their neighbors and new friends. And the return visit to the family running a local german themed inn was heartwarming as well, with Olivia learning how to open her heart to another new daughter-in-law. There is truly something for everyone in this solid holiday read. ( )
  ethel55 | Nov 10, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,604,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible