dismiss

The last wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

The last wish (original 1993; edition 2017)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Series: The Witcher (1)

Geralt de Riv, a witcher, uses his vast sorcerous powers to hunt down the monsters that threaten the world, but he soon discovers that not every monstrous-looking creature is evil, and not everything beautiful is good.
Member:Letora
Title:The last wish
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski
Info:New York, NY : Orbit, 2017.
Collections:Fantasy, Young Adult, Favorites

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski (1993)

English (102)  Finnish (5)  German (4)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (118)
Honestly I love how much this fleshed out the show for me. I had some questions and this book definitely filled in the gaps! I loved how many of the monsters had backstories from fairy tale lore that we all know and love (Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White). The stories are told mostly through flashbacks as Geralt recovers from wounds he got while fighting a Striga. From meeting Yennefer for the first time, to travelling to the "end of the world," to the law of surprise - Geralt has many an adventure. Nearly all the stories in the book are told during season one of the Netflix series, The Witcher. Freaking fun and I definitely plan on reading more in this series. I want to know more about the man and his adventures! ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 30, 2020 |
Pro beastie hunter
too sassy to hang around
get paid and get out. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
I wish I had waited to watch the show and read these short stories first, but oh well, we know I don't have self control. Pretty much almost all the stories were familiar to me, but I still enjoyed "revisiting" them.
And some were not part of the show so I particulary enjoyed those.
I definitely can't wait to read the entire series now.

Yennefer, marry me please.
I missed Yen and Geralt so much, so their scenes obviously were my absolute favorites!

OWLS READATHON: read for the transfiguration prompt.
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
I made the mistake of trying to start with the first "novel" in this series instead of starting with this collection of shorter stories. I am glad I went back and read this one. All the stories go together really well and the whole thing reads as cohesively as a novel anyway. And, they clearly set up the third book. The introduction to the world of the Witchers is just delightful. I especially love all the (twisted) references to fairy tales. ( )
  3j0hn | Jun 17, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenny, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stok, DanusiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She came to him toward morning.
Contains 7 short stories. do not combine with 5 story editions.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0575077832, 0316029181

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible