Worth the Fighting For: The Education of an…

Worth the Fighting For: The Education of an American Maverick, and the… (edition 2003)

by John McCain (Author)

206285,515 (3.5)None
Member:irc-Freetown1
Title:Worth the Fighting For: The Education of an American Maverick, and the Heroes Who Inspired Him
Authors:John McCain (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2003), Edition: Edition Unstated, 432 pages

Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir by John S. McCain

As an apolitical observer of the American political scene, John McCain used to fascinate me, to the point that when I saw his book at a library sale a few years ago, I snatched it up, wanting to learn more about the "maverick" of the U.S. Senate. I think I may have been looking for his first memoir [b:Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir|99965|Faith of My Fathers A Family Memoir|John McCain|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348755680s/99965.jpg|390110], but this one also sufficed. While describing his life since his return to the States after being a Vietnam War POW, McCain takes the reader through his political education, including the Keating Savings & Loan disaster (bad) and his brokering of efforts to improve the relationship between Vietnam and the United States (good).

Since I've never quite figured out how the radical Republican Party of Lincoln and Thaddeus Stevens became the Tea Party of today (can't even connect the dots), McCain always seemed as though he would somehow be the difference maker, until his submission to the extreme right in his efforts to secure the Presidency made him just another politician from a conservative state. Actually, McCain reminds me most of Cato from the Roman Republic. It's clear he believes in his American Republic and wants others to uphold the same values (not 100% certain what they are, but Americans do have values). I must say I also can't figure out the Democrats, which may explain why I'm apolitical.

In reading this memoir, one thought did strike me quite clearly...how the Americans always seem to come up with leaders who change the world (not McCain, just saying he made me think this). Washington, Lincoln, two Roosevelts, Truman...even Reagan. Is it in their blood? Fascinating country and a decent read.

Book Season = Winter (because that seems to be the Republicans' discontent) ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |
I'm a McCain fan, so I was almost sure to enjoy this book anyway; nonetheless, I found it inspiring and well worth reading. Not quite on par with "Faith of My Fathers," but close. ( )
  JBD1 | Jan 10, 2006 |

McCain, John S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salter, Markmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In 1999, John McCain wrote one of the most acclaimed and bestselling memoirs of the decade, Faith of My Fathers. That book ended in 1972, with McCain’s release from imprisonment in Vietnam. This is the rest of his story, about his great American journey from the U.S. Navy to his electrifying run for the presidency, interwoven with heartfelt portraits of the mavericks who have inspired him through the years—Ted Williams, Theodore Roosevelt, visionary aviation proponent Billy Mitchell, Marlon Brando in Viva Zapata!, and, most indelibly, Robert Jordan. It was Jordan, Hemingway’s protagonist in For Whom the Bell Tolls, who showed McCain the ideals of heroism and sacrifice, stoicism and redemption, and why certain causes, despite the costs, are . . .

Worth the Fighting For

After five and a half years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, naval aviator John McCain returned home a changed man. Regaining his health and flight-eligibility status, he resumed his military career, commanding carrier pilots and serving as the navy’s liaison to what is sometimes ironically called the world’s most exclusive club, the United States Senate. Accompanying Senators John Tower and Henry “Scoop” Jackson on international trips, McCain began his political education in the company of two masters, leaders whose standards he would strive to maintain upon his election to the U.S. Congress. There, he learned valuable lessons in cooperation from a good-humored congressman from the other party, Morris Udall. In 1986, McCain was elected to the U.S. Senate, inheriting the seat of another role model, Barry Goldwater.
During his time in public office, McCain has seen acts of principle and acts of craven self-interest. He describes both ex-tremes in these pages, with his characteristic straight talk and humor. He writes honestly of the lowest point in his career, the Keating Five savings and loan debacle, as well as his triumphant moments—his return to Vietnam and his efforts to normalize relations between the U.S. and Vietnamese governments; his fight for campaign finance reform; and his galvanizing bid for the presidency in 2000.
Writes McCain: “A rebel without a cause is just a punk. Whatever you’re called—rebel, unorthodox, nonconformist, radical—it’s all self-indulgence without a good cause to give your life meaning.” This is the story of McCain’s causes, the people who made him do it, and the meaning he found. Worth the Fighting For reminds us of what’s best in America, and in ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:14 -0400)

The author continues the story of his life, from his return to America after more than five years as a POW in Vietnam, to his rise to success in politics, to his 2000 run for the presidency.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,553,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible