A Secret History of Witches: A Novel by…

A Secret History of Witches: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Louisa Morgan (Author)

"A Secret History of Witches follows five generations of women -- all of whom happen to be witches -- from nineteenth-century Brittany to London during World War II. Brittany, 1821. After Grand-mère Ursule gives her life to save her family, their magic seems to die with her. Even so, they fight to keep the old ways alive, practicing half-remembered spells and arcane rites in hopes of a revival. And when their youngest daughter comes of age, magic flows anew. The lineage continues, but new generations struggle not only to master their power, but also to keep it hidden. For the world would see them punished for this gift that's been passed down, from mother to daughter, since time began. But as time races onward and World War II looms on the horizon, magic is needed more urgently than ever -- not for simple potions or visions, but to change the entire course of history. "At once sprawling and intimate, A Secret History of Witches deftly captures the greatest magic of all: the love between mothers and daughters." --Jordanna Max Brodsky, author of The Immortals"--"From early 19th century Brittany to London during the Second World War, five generations of witches fight the battles of their time, deciding how far they are willing to go to protect their family, their heritage, and ultimately, all of our futures. After Grand-mère Ursule gives her life to save her tribe, her magic seems to dies with her. Even so, her family keeps the Old Faith, practicing the spells and rites that have been handed from mother to daughter for generations. Until one day, Ursule's young granddaughter steps into the circle, and magic flows anew"--… (more)
Member:Denollear
Title:A Secret History of Witches: A Novel
Authors:Louisa Morgan (Author)
Info:Redhook (2018), Edition: Reprint, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Not finished
Rating:*

A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan

Not good. Why did I keep reading this? ( )
  libraryhead | Oct 25, 2019 |
This is a fascinating book that follows a century's worth of generations of witches through one family, their stories each compelling and intertwining nicely. It was a bold choice in the last section to assign the practice of witchcraft to Queen Elizabeth (the queen mum, not the sovereign), and I found myself a little uncomfortable at times in the ways in which the craft was used. I also wasn't sure the fear of discovery always seemed particularly genuine given the widespread interest in the occult through much the 19th century. I would like for that to have at least been addressed. But overall, an enjoyable read. ( )
  Sarah_Angleton | Aug 16, 2019 |
Wonderful book

I really enjoyed reading this book. I fell in love with the characters and didn't want to put the book down to go do something else. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Aug 6, 2019 |
A Secret History of Witches is the story of five generations of witches and their trials and tribulations. Each witch has her own story to tell and the choices she makes in her life. I found that I enjoyed the earlier generations rather than the later ones. The background general history was fascinating but I found it a bit less believable as the stories became closer to modern times. I also found the stories were a bit uneven and more developed with the earlier generations. Overall, I did enjoy the book especially as a testament to the idea of strong and empowered women. ( )
  Veronica.Sparrow | Jun 10, 2019 |
This sounded like such a good book, but unfortunately, it was redundant, characters were never developed enough to like and just an okay book. Very disappointing. It starts out strong with a great story, but it's downhill from there to the end. A group of gypsies are fleeing persecution in France, they escape to Mont St. Michel in Cornwall, where they settle on a farm and stay to themselves. One of them inherits magical powers, has a daughter who also inherits these powers, she has a daughter who, yes, you guessed it inherits also and so on and so forth. Very predictable, bland and not worth the time to read. Look for anything else that will fill your need to read a witch book or an encyclopedia, much more interesting. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
In loving memory of my mother,
June Margaret Bishop Campbell.
May your line continue forever.
The layered clouds, gray as cold charcoal, shifted this way and that, mirroring the waves below.

A sweeping historical saga that traces five generations of fiercely powerful mothers and daughters -- witches whose magical inheritance is both a dangerous threat and an extraordinary gift.

Even so, the Orchires fight to keep the old ways alive, practicing half-remembered spells and arcane rites in hopes of a revival. And when their youngest daughter comes of age, magic flows anew.

The lineage continues, though new generations struggle not only to master their power, but also to keep it hidden.

But when World War II looms on the horizon, magic is needed more urgently than ever - not for simple potions or visions, but to change the entire course of history.

"I loved it. A beautiful generational tale, reminiscent of Practical Magic.... Grounded and real, painful and hopeful at the same time." -- Laure Eve, author of The Graces

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible