With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and…

With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial (edition 2018)

by Kathryn Mannix (Author)

Member:rabbitprincess
Title:With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial
Authors:Kathryn Mannix (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2018), 352 pages
Collections:Borrowed from library
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, medicine, wellcome book prize, read in 2019, must get own copy

With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial by Kathryn Mannix

Kathryn Mannix is a palliative care physician and a cognitive behavioural therapist. Throughout her 30-year career, she’s helped a great deal of patients and their families navigate the processes of dying that were once common knowledge but have been made mysterious by the medicalization of old age and death. In this book, Mannix tells stories of patients facing death at all ages and how the families can work with the patient to make it a good death for everyone. The book is divided into several sections with stories that are thematically linked, and each section ends with a Pause for Thought in which Mannix addresses the reader directly to get them to think about these stories in relation to their own life.

I found this book beautifully done, brimming with sensitivity and compassion. I found it hopeful and uplifting even as I kept taking my glasses off to plow away the tears. And the humourous moments were made even more so by their occasional presence—laughter in the face of death. This is such a good book that I’m going to buy my own copy. A must-read for everyone. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 11, 2019 |
When I was studying to be an EMT, one of the topics we had to deal with was the inevitable death of one of our patients. My instructors were very clear that if this happened, we were to use words that would not leave any room for misinterpretation - died as opposed to passed on, etc. It was interesting to read this author's advice to use those terrible "d" words like dying and death as opposed to those other "kinder" words. Even more interesting was her description of what a "typical" death looked like. She takes much of the scariness and fear associated with death away. Having been with my father when he died at home, she is spot on in her descriptions and in helping to make sure people's wishes about the ends of their lives is observed. This is a book for everyone, but especially for those who either fear their deaths or those of loved ones. ( )
  Susan.Macura | May 13, 2018 |
This outstanding book, which was shortlisted for this year's Wellcome Book Prize and was written by a palliative care physician in the UK, describes several remarkable people she cared for at the end of their lives, their families and other loved ones, and her experiences and lessons learned during her four decades in clinical practice. Dr Mannix demystifies and humanizes the experience of death for her patients, their families, and especially her readers, as people who have or very likely will care for a dying person, and will ultimately succumb to death themmselves. In addition to being an engaging and, dare I say, heartwarming read, it is also richly filled with lessons and advice for current or future use. With the End in Mind, similar to Atul Gawande's recent book Being Mortal, is an outstanding contribution to the topic of end of life care, and as such it is a book that would be of benefit to everyone. ( )
1 vote kidzdoc | Apr 15, 2018 |
Best for: Anyone who wants to get the conversation about death going. I know, probably not many folks want to, but the book makes a good case for it.

In a nutshell: UK palliative care physician Dr. Kathryn Mannix shares stories from her 40 years working with individuals to manage their symptoms and help with their end of life.

Worth quoting:
“This conspiracy of silence is so common, and so heartbreaking. The elderly expect death, and many try to talk to others about their hopes and wishes. But often they are rebuffed by the young, who cannot bear, or even contemplate, those thoughts that are the constant companions of the aged or the sick.”
“It’s not about ‘getting better’ — bereavement is not an illness, and life for the bereaved will never be the same again. But given time and support, the process itself will enable the bereaved to reach a new balance.”
“It’s a truth rarely acknowledged that as we live longer thanks to modern medicine, it is our years of old age that are extended, not our years of youth and vigour. What are we doing to ourselves?”

Why I chose it:
I saw this at a shop I visited recently (http://askmusings.com/2018/02/28-02-2018-libreria/), and it jumped out at me. While I don’t have my job anymore, my interest in making sure that the lives of those who are dying and the lives of their family and friends are as well-supported as possible hasn’t gone away.

Review:
I’ve read a couple of books like this. There’s Being Mortal (https://cannonballread.com/2014/12/book-52-what-matters-in-the-end/) and On Living (https://cannonballread.com/2017/01/dying-is-just-a-verb/), and they all take different approaches to the topic. While this isn’t my favorite of the three (I think Being Mortal still is), I think it has the best organization and readability. After finishing it, I feel that I’ve both learned more about life and death AND had opportunities to think about it in relation to my own life.

The book is organized into sections, and each chapter is a story about one or two of Dr. Mannix’s patients. It isn’t presented chronologically, so sometimes Dr. Mannix is just starting out as a doctor, and sometimes she’s got two teenagers at home. Shestarts with providing information about the physical aspects of death (how it actually happen, which doesn’t seem to be that similar to what we see in media), then moves on to how people who are dying can gain back some control, how families and those who are dying can face their new reality. It ends looking at ideas of legacy and broader meanings of life.

I know. I mean, sure, a book about death and dying is going to be deep, but this is like Marianas trench deep.

What I liked most is that at the end of each section, there’s literally a chapter called “Pause for Thought,” where Dr. Mannix asks the reader to actively reflect on what they’ve just read, and think about how it might apply or have applied in their own life.

I know that not everyone is as interested in this topic as I am (especially considering in my personal life I’ve been lucky enough to not lose anyone close to me, although obviously that will end at some point), but I still think most people could benefit from reading this book. ( )
2 vote ASKelmore | Mar 3, 2018 |

A palliative care physician draws on stories from her own practice to explain how to enable a gentle and peaceful death and how modern medicine, augmented by traditional palliative approaches, can restore dignity, humanity, and meaning to the end of life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,725,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible