Three Strikes (An Audrey Harte novel) by…

Three Strikes (An Audrey Harte novel) (edition 2017)

by Kate Kessler (Author)

711,616,274 (5)None
Member:maryintexas39
Title:Three Strikes (An Audrey Harte novel)
Authors:Kate Kessler (Author)
Info:Redhook (2017), 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Audrey Harte novel, psychological suspense

Three Strikes (An Audrey Harte novel) by Kate Kessler

Three Strikes by Kate Kessler is one of my rare DNF's. I tried numerous times to get into the book, but just couldn't. Why, you ask?

I was initially intrigued by the description of the book - "Three Strikes is the new novel in a thriller series where a criminal psychologist uses her own dark past to help law enforcement catch dangerous killers." Sounds like a great premise.

What I should have noted was that this was the third book in a series. Now, some authors make it easy to jump into their series. Some back story is provided, but often you can read them as a stand alone. Not in this case. So much has happened in the first two books and I felt overwhelmed and out of step for as far as I did get. Murder, rape, incest, serial killers, terminal illness, a messed up small town and some very dysfunctional relationships. A psychologist who has committed murder. It started to feel like a dark daytime soap opera put to the printed page - aiming for titillation.

But, where I finally lost hope of continuing was in the character count. Oh yes, I started making my own player's list to keep track of who was who, as there are many (many) players introduced in the first few chapters. But, when my list hit 23 just past page 37, I threw in the towel. Too many, too much.

This may be the case of a book in the hands of the wrong reader, as there are many who have really enjoyed this book.
  Twink | Dec 22, 2017 |

"Three Strikes is the new novel in a thriller series where a criminal psychologist uses her own dark past to help law enforcement catch dangerous killers. Thanksgiving is approaching, and Audrey Harte has a lot to be thankful for -- her mother has recovered from surgery, her relationship with Jake is solid, her father is relatively sober, and her career is evolving in an exciting direction. So when an 18-year-old girl turns up on her mother's doorstep, claiming to be the daughter Maggie Jones gave up for adoption, Audrey is amazed. As Audrey helps the girl discover where she came from, people in the little town of Edgeport think she should leave the past alone, and they let her know through threatening messages and phone calls. Soon, Audrey realizes that it doesn't matter how well you think you know someone -- you don't know what they're capable of until their secrets are threatened... Audrey Harte novels: It Takes One ; Two Can Play ; Three Strikes"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible