Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family)…

Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family) (edition 2017)

by May McGoldrick (Author)

541,436,638 (4)None
Member:Pelusa41
Title:Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family)
Authors:May McGoldrick (Author)
Info:Swerve (2017), 284 pages
Rating:***

Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family) by May McGoldrick

Received an ARC at no cost to author on behalf of netgalley. This story kept you on your toes, it captures your interest from the very beginning, we had history, murder and mystery oh my and under cover lies. Grace's father worked to Napoleon and she had to keep her identity a secret. It is a romance you should read. ( )
  Pelusa41 | Nov 14, 2017 |
Romancing the Scot is the first book in The Pennington Family series and I feel this promises to be a wonderful series. This series is set in the early eighteen-hundreds in Baronsford Scotland but the Pennington family is actually English. At the start of this story we meet Grace Ware who was the daughter of a military commander who fought with the French against the English. Grace and her father were traveling from America to Brussels, but while stopped in Antwerp they were ambushed and Grace barely escaped with her life. Attempting to outwit her pursuers she hid in a shipping crate to escape notice but before she was able to get free she became trapped in the container.

Hugh Pennington was a military man who hated the French and was haunted by the memory of his dead wife and son. It had been eight years since they had passed but it did not seem as if he would ever be able to move past their deaths. When his shipment arrived and he found Grace near death it hit him rather hard. He could not save his wife or child but he was determined that he would do whatever he could to save this mystery woman. There was just something about Grace that stirred feelings in him that he thought were long since dead. With the help of his sister Lady Josephine Pennington they were able to nurse Grace back to health.

When Grace awoke her memory was a little scattered at first but she did immediately realize the danger she was in. Her father was enemy to the English crown and not only was she in the home of English citizens but Hugh was an ex-military man who was also Lord Justice of the Scottish Courts. To make matters worse, Hugh also blamed the French for his inability to get to his wife and son before he could prevent their deaths. Not a good situation for Grace to be in at all. So, not having many options she decided that for a time she would feign amnesia until she was able to get a better understand of her surroundings and how she could get herself out from the danger she was most certainly in.

As Grace, Hugh, and Jo interacted it became clear that there was an easy camaraderie between these characters. What could not be denied was that there was an attraction between Grace and Hugh but there was nothing to be done about it. Hugh did not know who Grace really was and even if he did Grace was sure that he would take her into custody immediately. What Grace did not know was that there were unscrupulous characters who were hot on her trail. She had something that they wanted and they were willing to go to any lengths to retrieve it. With all the danger and untruths between them Grace and Hugh would have to weather the storm that threatened to tear them apart and would their budding love be enough to keep them together?

Romancing the Scot was a very romantic story but I loved that it started off with action and danger. I mean who doesn’t love a story with spies and intrigue 😉. There was a nice mystery element woven in as well. Grace and Hugh were nicely paired together and even though they had a sexual attraction to each other their feelings developed based upon mutual affection and appreciation of each other’s strengths. In addition, there was an emphasis on social issues from this time period that I felt added a real interesting element to the story. The focus of Romancing the Scot was more than a simple romance and that made it a pleasure to read. I also liked the Pennington characters that were introduced and this is a series that I would want to absolutely continue reading.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Nov 14, 2017 |
Romancing the Scot by May McGoldrick
The Pennington Family #1

Goodness me! This was a book well worth reading! I am so glad there is a new series by this excellent husband-wife writing team! I could not stop reading once I began and even with a house to clean, menu to plan and guests arriving tomorrow – I had to finish this story and write the review tonight!

I can’t imagine being seeking refuge from certain death only to find myself locked in a box and transported for days without food, water, light or hope of getting free. The fact that Grace emerged from what must have felt like a coffin without losing her mind is a testament to her strength of both body and mind. She continued to shower strength throughout the book and what strength it was whether applied to getting well, used in self-defense or determining what tack to take next – she was an impressive person that I wouldn’t mind calling friend.

Hugh Pennington was shocked when he found Grace inside of a box he expected to contain parts for a balloon he planned to fly. Her status was near death and his action quick in finding help and someone to help her survive – if at all possible. With his employees, sister and a doctor to assist things were tough and go but…Grace did have a fighting chance.

This is definitely a romance with intrigue, spies, danger, death and a whole lot of history that I found fascinating. I didn’t know Napoleon had a brother and didn’t realize that the Irish immigrated to Scotland. I was fascinated by some of the legal cases mentioned and references to the wars that were fought. I was reminded of bigotry and how it has reared its ugly head throughout the ages. I loved Hugh’s sense of fairness and responsibility as well as his gentle but masterful touch. I found Grace to be a woman to emulate. I found Jo’s situation sad and am happy to know that her turn for a second chance at love and happiness will arrive in book two. I have read other books by this author and loved each one. This book was rich and complex and a delight to read.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Nov 13, 2017 |
4.25-4.5 Stars
A historical romance that actually includes historical events and social issues! An interesting and exciting novel to start off a new romance series. The characters have spunk and the romance is fun as well as thoughtful. There wasn't a dull moment throughout and the pace was perfect. I enjoyed the spy adventure part too. I will definitely be looking for the next installment. For historical romance readers.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Oct 29, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible