Hoofin' It

by RJ Blain

All Shane wanted was to get away from the wreckage of his career for a while. He picked New York City to provide him with a distraction from his early, unwanted retirement from the police force. New York City delivered, distracting him with three corpses and a miniature llama with a spitting problem and an attitude. If he wants to return to a normal life, he'll have to face off against a sex trafficking ring targeting the woman of his dreams, ancient vampires, murderous criminals, his parents, and an FBI agent with a hidden agenda. Some days, it isn't easy being an ex-cop. Warning: This novel contains excessive humor, action, excitement, adventure, magic, romance, and bodies. Proceed with caution.… (more)

Audiobook

One of my favourite magical rom coms excellently read by Wesley Nelson. I’ll be looking for more using this narrator. ( )
  Kindleifier | Jul 18, 2022 |
I love this book. I've read it at least 3 times and it still makes me smile. It has great characters - from Shane and his miniature spitting llama to his wonderfully crazy parents and god father, and the ancient clan of vampires that adore it when Shane kneecaps them.

Yes, it has dark underlying themes - police corruption, kidnapping, sex-slavery - as do all of this series, but they are presented in a fantasy world where people and creatures of all sorts come together to defeat the evil. The focus is on the 'good' characters and the way they passionately care for and support each other - particularly those who have been victimised in some way. They highlight the good, not the bad. The bad always get their comeuppance. And along the way, they are great entertainment ( )
  Kindleifier | Aug 9, 2021 |
I really like both Shane and Marian. The story is rather grim - sex slavery rings, and then it gets worse. But Our Heroes and their allies - some of them _very_ strange - deal with things very thoroughly. Shane's power is neat - and an interesting angle on things, shifters as well as lycanthropes. I hope they show up in other books. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 10, 2021 |
Bi-polar books

So the first half was a hell of a lot of fun. I mean, shearing a werewolf, scraping pancakes off the ceiling fun. Then it got weird.

Not that there's anything wrong with the weirdness. It just got too complicated balanced against the simplicity of the early part. It's mainly after he gets blown up that it gets to be too strange.

The brisk dialogue worked...until it didn't. I loved it up until he fell down the sewer. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
Bi-polar books

wildwily | May 28, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,114,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible